Ranger pet - weird behavior

Oualawouzou

Dalayan Beginner
Hello all,

My ranger pets (both rangefinder and lesser rangefinder) are acting wonky.

For severaly days now, they have INSANE aggro. Whenever they get in range of mobs I'm fighting, they grab aggro and there's nothing I can do to take it back from them. Pet taunt is off, I tried getting the mobs to as low as 20% before sending the pet in, I've tried stacking every spell I have on the mobs to rack up aggro... Nothing does it.

Now, I may be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure that didn't use to be the case. If that's how ranger pets are supposed to work, then oops, sorry.

However, there was something else too. Earlier today, I was gathering the CoI quests in Shadowdale, and while going through a dialogue with Tinkerer Somethingorother, the Tinkerer and my pet suddenly started to fight. I didn't turn on autoattack, or anything, just boom, rangefinder dead, me dead. The hell?

I asked in /gu (DB) and /ooc the other day about the aggro issue and people were puzzled.

So, has anybody else noticed something weird with their crow?

Thanks!

Disregard the random aggro. I get it now. Though I didn't lose blood, the dialogue says the Tinkerer just poked my hand and drew blood. 0_-

The insane pet aggro question stands though.

LOL, I think I know why your pet decided to attack the Tinkerer. Oops. Fixing now!

As for the pet aggro, Ranger pets will proc a debuff that helps with bow attacks. The bird is most likely getting extra aggro from casting this frequently.

Thanks for looking into it.

Extra aggro... I can understand, but I'm talking insta-snap-aggro, even if the pet is kept out of the fight till the mob is down to 20% ish health. They may be generating a *lot* more aggro than intended.

ETA: On the plus side, it makes it way easier to flee from a losing battle.

I think it's mostly due to the monsters being a gray con to you, but your pet is probably a similar level to them and it gets snap aggro. The same thing was happening to my druid with it's bear pet when I was killing green/gray cons. I'd kill them to 20-30%, send bear in, and they'd all run to the bear.

I think you're right. I was farming a mix of gray and green mobs, and now that I've moved on to dark blues, I can get them to focus on me and leave the bird alone. Sorry about all that, I had no idea the pet's level had an influence on aggro management. TIL

Back
Top Bottom