Racial Attributes & illusions

Chiifin666

Dalayan Elder
Hi there, so I made a barbarian warrior for the slam ability as well as the 2.5% exp boost they get. Recently I managed to get the melwins idol (one ph+1st named- lucky me).... I noticed that the slam function no longer works, as long as I am under an illusion. Does that mean the 2% exp boost is now null??

Last edited:
Easy way to try it out. Kill a mob with illusion on. Kill a mob with it off. Check the xp. :) I believe it only affects slam due to you no longer being a large size race in that form. It would be nice if the grow spell counteracted that or even gave medium races the slam ability when they were bigger.

Doesn't change the xp. Also, little known fact, you gain the slam ability if you're illusioned as a big race.

Thank you, and I'm pretty sure I noticed the slam ability before on a ranger i used to play, while under illusion. Figured it was a SoD glitch thing, just like showing a blank AA tab

Good question. Is slam that way because it is hardcoded in the old client or by design? Are there other abilities which turn off/on when you change race?

It had been years since I'd tinkered with Slam under an illusion, so I tried it out just a few minutes ago. The character goes through the animation, and the button darkens/refreshes like it would on, say, a Barbarian. However, I saw no "miss" messages after numerous attempts. I even tried using it under the effects of Cascading Bond (80% locked melee accuracy) and no Slams connected.

I suspect this is some kind of unintended byproduct of hardcoding like @donfolstar3 mentions. Curious that Slam works this way, yet Sneak/Hide/Forage don't pop up if you go under an illusion like Halfling or Iksar.

I wonder if something like a Dark Elf Warrior could get a Troll illusion and successfully train Bash by using this wonky Slam button. o_O

Are there other abilities which turn off/on when you change race?
I seem to recall the bonus Hide ability "breaking" when I'd switch to some other race on a Dork Elf toon a long time ago, but maybe I could have this wrong. Too tired to test it out now. :p

Your findings astonish me as usual Grinkles... Specifically because I have illusioned Druids with barbarian so I can use slam to proc Anthem and other shields... And yes it does proc. I never payed attention to whether any dmg was done though.

Your findings astonish me as usual Grinkles... Specifically because I have illusioned Druids with barbarian so I can use slam to proc Anthem and other shields... And yes it does proc. I never payed attention to whether any dmg was done though.
I'll need to some some further investigating then. Thanks for sharing.

EDIT: Wait a minute, are shields really proccing from Slam then, Swiftur? I thought Slam only activated the shoulders slot...

Last edited:
Your racial bonuses do not change with illusions. The client gives you the vision type of the race you're illusioned as. If you maintain an illusion through zoning, push button activated skills can either show up or be disabled depending on whether your race vs. the target race have those skills available. This is due to the way the client determines which skills you're allowed to each time you zone, though we may be able to adjust the time when the illusion applies so that skills apply correctly. I added this to our bug tracker for future review.

Slam procs shoulder items but uses your Bash skill for damage calculations.

I'll need to some some further investigating then. Thanks for sharing.

EDIT: Wait a minute, are shields really proccing from Slam then, Swiftur? I thought Slam only activated the shoulders slot...
I was in kaesora farming on Swiftur and Radaere for a couple weeks and perm illusioned him barbarian to use the slam key. And yes, it triggered anthem

I was in kaesora farming on Swiftur and Radaere for a couple weeks and perm illusioned him barbarian to use the slam key. And yes, it triggered anthem
If that's the case, it's a bug and will be looked into. Slam is only meant to proc shoulders.

If that's the case, it's a bug and will be looked into. Slam is only meant to proc shoulders.
Are there any other shoulders in the game that even have a proc other than that world drop, Crystallized Jellyfish Spaulders? If that's the case, maybe that's something that could be spread out a little more evenly to already existing items. I could see Hewn Manguadinite Pauldrons being changed from 10 charge to 30ish% chance to proc, a neat but not dependable OH $H!T thing.

Are there any other shoulders in the game that even have a proc other than that world drop, Crystallized Jellyfish Spaulders?
The only other documented Slam proc items I can find are:
  • Sopping Bar Rag - rare, low-level world drop whose proc seems to be only for flavor
  • Mantle of the Scorned - procs a +15 HP level 1 SHM buff that stacks with virtually nothing; usable only by 55+ toons, given that it drops from VE maps
  • Pauldrons of Preservation - supposedly procs Recovery IV, which is almost certainly the result of a mix-up in the item's creation; it should be a worn effect
I imagine the reason Slam procs were never widely explored or distributed was that they advantage Trolls, Ogres, and Barbarians. Any proc powerful enough to warrant the use of Slam (instead of Bash, Kick, etc.) would give players who chose these races an itemization benefit that players of other races would never be able to attain. Maybe I'm reading too much into it though. It could also simply be that the concept of Slam procs was forgotten/underutilized, rather like bracers that proc on the pet seem to have been neglected all these years. They could also have been abandoned as a "dead end" in itemization.

I could see Hewn Manguadinite Pauldrons being changed from 10 charge to 30ish% chance to proc, a neat but not dependable OH $H!T thing.
Bear in mind that if this were changed to a Slam proc, it could only be triggered by races capable of Slam. This would mean that only Trolls, Ogres, and Barbarians would be able to natively take advantage of the effect; other players would need to rely on illusions to get a wonky Slam button of their own.

Last edited:
Well... Any race can slam with the proper illusion... I have a feeling the reason slam also procs shields is because it's linked to bash some how. Why that is the case I don't understand. I feel like any race/class should be able to slam, except maybe puny casters... When I think about the action in my mind, I picture a toon just ramming their body into the bad guy. Sorry, no skill required.

Well... Any race can slam with the proper illusion... I have a feeling the reason slam also procs shields is because it's linked to bash some how. Why that is the case I don't understand. I feel like any race/class should be able to slam, except maybe puny casters... When I think about the action in my mind, I picture a toon just ramming their body into the bad guy. Sorry, no skill required.

Notice slam not working well for small races:
[/URL]

notice slam working well for large races (this guy is actually in the game!)
[/URL]

As funny as that is, let's not forget we play a fantasy rpg where gnomes and halflings tank and mame dragons... Pretty sure if they can bash and stun them, they could slam them too...

Back
Top Bottom