Quality of Life [List of unoriginal ideas]

Kedrin

Dalayan Pious Diety
List of things I would like to see happen:

1) Remove regents from spells/buffs that can simply be summoned.
  • Basically any spell that requires a Peridot should just not have a regent. There is simply no reason for the time loss of logging into a mage to summon dots just to cast R:Aego or any other buff on this list:
    • Spell: Aegolism
    • Spell: Blessing of Aegolism
    • Spell: Relic: Gift of Aegolism
    • Spell: Celestial Shield
    • Spell: Diamondskin
    • Spell: Dilated Shelter
    • Spell: Manaskin
    • Spell: Marzin's Mark
    • Spell: Relic: Runecloak
    • Spell: Rune IV
    • Spell: Rune V
    • Spell: Rune VI
    • Spell: Savagery
    • Spell: Sorcerer Familiar
    • Spell: Spellshield
    • Spell: Spellskin
    • Spell: Symbol of Marzin
    • Spell: Symbol of Naltron
  • The only thing this could possibly change, other than an overall time saver, is enchanters using Rune more often at the lower end of the game. I personally do not see this as a negative. It would give fresh 65 or pre-65’s enchanters more to do in groups.
2) Combine Companion Health and Companion Strength into one effect
  • Companion health was changed from an effect that only had to be swapped in when zoning or summoning a pet into something you had to have on at all times. I feel this was a good change however changes that should have followed never happen.
  • Companion Health desperately needs to be on more items
    • Beastlords are forced into using one of two items
      • Mask of Multiplicity (T10)
      • Chestwraps of Furious Rage (T10)
    • Mages have it even worst
      • Adamant Construct Bindings (T9) wtf…
  • Companion Health needs to scale much better then it currently does
    • There is no reason why companion health should be a simply linear increase of the pets base hp
    • My ranger bird pet gets 164 more hp from CH7 to CH8 and wearing a CH8 item as a ranger is almost impossible
  • Only two classes truly benefit from Companion Strength (Mages and Beastlords). It can be argued that necros should also be on this list however I would much rather see them use their Relic pet more once it is finalized. The mana problems shouldn’t be that hard to fix.
  • Combining these two effects would help itemizing for pet classes a great deal without granting them much power. This would also help future itemization for pet classes.
3) Do *something* about the combine BP and Legs Buff
  • These two buffs should have a much longer duration.
    • The only negative to making these buffs last forever would be classes with SB would have a one up over classes that do not.
  • There should be a quest for an item that combines these two buffs into one
  • There should be a quest that just turns these buffs into augs that go into your charm
    • I am sure they could find out a way for the 50 atk buff to work
4) Combine Spell: Relic: Essence of the Wild and Spell: Relic: Essence of Tarhansar into one spell
  • I don’t even feel this one needs a reason. Why hasn’t this happen yet?
  • You could replace the open Relic with a new wolf pet
    • The current “best” Shaman wolf pet already has problems due to its low level
    • The new pet could simply do a bit more dmg, have a bit more hp to live longer and cast a lower end slow to help in exp groups
5) Make all valid raid buffs have 0.0 refresh time to speed up raid buffing
  • I know I have posted this a lot before but for some reason it still hasn’t happen
  • The list of spells that should have their refresh time lowered to ZERO are here:
    • Spell: Call of the Predator : Recharge time: 18 seconds
    • Spell: Spirit of Bih`Li : Recharge time: 9 seconds
    • Spell: Relic: Ward of Nature : Recharge time: 8 seconds
    • Spell: Dead Men Floating : Recharge time: 6 seconds
    • Spell: Share Form of the Great Wolf : Recharge time: 12 seconds
      • Giving rangers this buff would also be cool
    • Spell: Talisman of the Niklothar : Recharge time: 5 seconds

Last edited:
All of this makes entirely too much sense. The only thing in this post that didn't make me wave my arms in the air and yell "testify" was the Relic shammy pet casting slows. Maybe something more like what wizard familiars do but with dots, some kind of caster wolf aka necro runic lite, or some idea from a shaman who knows what they could use.

Time to forum ban kedrin again, none of your ideas made the game more annoying or tedious.

Meh, giving shammy a relic pet that does maybe a 20% slow would not be unbalanced or OP, imo. Or, it could use a lower level cold nuke proc instead, just something would be nice. But the slow would be far more unique, and fit the flavor of the class.
I totally agree for the rest of it, except maybe making combine into augs. But certainly, a quest to combine the 2 (maybe from refuge, or part of new thaz?) into one armor piece buff would be great, and have it last longer also, would be even better. I just don't understand the reasoning for the durations of some items, and why they can't be made to last longer. It isn't like people are going to click them and bank them, cause you never know what might happen.

A lot of time in xping groups on easier content with my shaman I don't cast slow because I pull a few mobs and let ds work it's magic while focusing one mob down. I'd rather see the shaman pet have some added survival tool than proc slow. The thing is barely a road block on low 65 content...

Realistically, I think many of these may be reaching too high, but many others are ideas I could easily get behind. (Not that I have any clout myself!) I'm especially in favor of the SHM Relic pet idea. I think that this class's pet is neglected far too often because of its poor survivability, and it's actually much rarer these days to spot a 65 Shaman with a wolf pet up than one without a wolf pet up! Considering this class's pet comes from a full pedigree of summon spells leading all the way back to level 34 (unlike, say, the CLR hammer pet, which can be regarded as a one-off novelty), it sure isn't given very satisfying finality. :(

How about the pet procs other pets. That way over time, the wolf pack of one can consider himself a wolfpack of some. Furthermore, for each mini pet the wolf pack of some has, the alpha wolf (shaman pets) gets a boost to death save. So if the mob does a WW or an aoe, it goes back to a wolf pack of one.

How about the pet procs other pets. That way over time, the wolf pack of one can consider himself a wolfpack of some. Furthermore, for each mini pet the wolf pack of some has, the alpha wolf (shaman pets) gets a boost to death save. So if the mob does a WW or an aoe, it goes back to a wolf pack of one.
Pets of pets have the issue of their kilss are attributed as NPC kills and not player kills, thus whatever they kill has no loot and offers no XP. I don't think anyone would want thus tradeoff for a cool looking effect.

Pets of pets have the issue of their kilss are attributed as NPC kills and not player kills, thus whatever they kill has no loot and offers no XP. I don't think anyone would want thus tradeoff for a cool looking effect.

this is why I destroy those daemon emberflow weapons.

Kedrin you're my favorite Developer non-Developer.

On a side note: Having slow on the pet would be just awful. I'm sure you've seen how often druid pet can grab aggro from its awesome nuke. Some sort of tool/utility the pet could do would be far better. I think I'd still rather have a spell like EQ's Avatar line before another pet, as awesome as a new pet would be.

Side, side note: If any devs read this thread can we have the shaman bear form line illusion shrunk down to a managable size? I would actually *keep* the illusion rather than using illusion:gender to nullify the shapeshift if it shrunk you down to about the size of the tiny rotund bears from the ikisith maps. There is an actual tome dedicated to the river keeper buff, why not reward players for using it and having the illusion? It seems a little contradictory that players are rewarded with the buff but aren't able to appreciate it just because the model graphic is so prohibitively large.

vvv I get your point. Avatar was a stat buff which I sure as hell wouldn't want. If it added bonus % hitpoints, overhaste and % damage reduction we'd be in business.

Last edited:
Kedrin you're my favorite Developer non-Developer.

Thanks.

On a side note: Having slow on the pet would be just awful. I'm sure you've seen how often druid pet can grab aggro from its awesome nuke. Some sort of tool/utility the pet could do would be far better. I think I'd still rather have a spell like EQ's Avatar line before another pet, as awesome as a new pet would be.

Aggro problems are rather easy to fix with a -aggro line on the slow spell the pet could cast. The pet idea is mainly just so the shaman have a new higher level pet that lives a bit longer. The slow idea is simply for flavor and a bit of help in exp groups since very few shamans cast slow in them.

Avatar was 100 atk, AGI, STR, DEX. Other than the 100 atk I don't see the point in combining two stat buffs, that are mainly unused at the higher end of raiding, just to add yey another stat buff. A straight up ATK buff just seems odd to put on a Shaman at this point.

That's true. I think what I said sounds badass, but is not very manageable. Though, could you just have the proc originate from the shaman to nullify that side effect. Also, I <3 those elemental ally weps to give to people.

Agree for the most part. Especially regarding the Companion Health/Str combo. Yes....that is VERY helpful and ....it only lessens worries for a Mage specifically when it come to gear at any tier!

And yes.....get rid of the need for Dots....really....it's lame. Also, pearls for make pet weapons....lame. Make it cost double the mana or something. Regents for these spells are not needed.

If you are going to have regents for anything, how about have them for Ritual spells only. EXTREME end game stuff.

What? Every one of these ideas seem conservative to me. Perhaps I'm just crazy.

They are all reasonable, but you are crazy. I think Grinkles is just succumbing to the unfortunate "can't do" attitude that permeates this server. I can also see a lot of these totally reasonable QoL conveniences triggering the classic "We had to walk 2 miles in the snow uphill both ways to grind our CoP and we liked it". You damn whippersnappers with your raiding without packet loss and being able to see without debilitating graphics bugs. You're soft, SOFT I SAY!

Bump.
This really great post should not go quietly into the night. Of all the OP points I think 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 in particular deserve consideration.

Bump it after the Dev team is done working on 2.5. That alone is far better than anything in this thread. And some in this thread might even be possible then!

List of things I would like to see happen:

1) Remove regents from spells/buffs that can simply be summoned.
  • Basically any spell that requires a Peridot should just not have a regent. There is simply no reason for the time loss of logging into a mage to summon dots just to cast R:Aego or any other buff on this list:
    • Spell: Aegolism
    • Spell: Blessing of Aegolism
    • Spell: Relic: Gift of Aegolism
    • Spell: Celestial Shield
    • Spell: Diamondskin
    • Spell: Dilated Shelter
    • Spell: Manaskin
    • Spell: Marzin's Mark
    • Spell: Relic: Runecloak
    • Spell: Rune IV
    • Spell: Rune V
    • Spell: Rune VI
    • Spell: Savagery
    • Spell: Sorcerer Familiar
    • Spell: Spellshield
    • Spell: Spellskin
    • Spell: Symbol of Marzin
    • Spell: Symbol of Naltron
  • The only thing this could possibly change, other than an overall time saver, is enchanters using Rune more often at the lower end of the game. I personally do not see this as a negative. It would give fresh 65 or pre-65’s enchanters more to do in groups.
2) Combine Companion Health and Companion Strength into one effect
  • Companion health was changed from an effect that only had to be swapped in when zoning or summoning a pet into something you had to have on at all times. I feel this was a good change however changes that should have followed never happen.
  • Companion Health desperately needs to be on more items
    • Beastlords are forced into using one of two items
      • Chestwraps of Furious Rage (T10)
    • Mages have it even worst
      • Adamant Construct Bindings (T9) wtf…
  • Companion Health needs to scale much better then it currently does
    • There is no reason why companion health should be a simply linear increase of the pets base hp
    • My ranger bird pet gets 164 more hp from CH7 to CH8 and wearing a CH8 item as a ranger is almost impossible
  • Only two classes truly benefit from Companion Strength (Mages and Beastlords). It can be argued that necros should also be on this list however I would much rather see them use their Relic pet more once it is finalized. The mana problems shouldn’t be that hard to fix.
  • Combining these two effects would help itemizing for pet classes a great deal without granting them much power. This would also help future itemization for pet classes.
3) Do *something* about the combine BP and Legs Buff
  • These two buffs should have a much longer duration.
    • The only negative to making these buffs last forever would be classes with SB would have a one up over classes that do not.
  • There should be a quest for an item that combines these two buffs into one
  • There should be a quest that just turns these buffs into augs that go into your charm
    • I am sure they could find out a way for the 50 atk buff to work
4) Combine Spell: Relic: Essence of the Wild and Spell: Relic: Essence of Tarhansar into one spell
  • I don’t even feel this one needs a reason. Why hasn’t this happen yet?
  • You could replace the open Relic with a new wolf pet
    • The current “best” Shaman wolf pet already has problems due to its low level
    • The new pet could simply do a bit more dmg, have a bit more hp to live longer and cast a lower end slow to help in exp groups
5) Make all valid raid buffs have 0.0 refresh time to speed up raid buffing
  • I know I have posted this a lot before but for some reason it still hasn’t happen
  • The list of spells that should have their refresh time lowered to ZERO are here:
    • Spell: Call of the Predator : Recharge time: 18 seconds
    • Spell: Spirit of Bih`Li : Recharge time: 9 seconds
    • Spell: Relic: Ward of Nature : Recharge time: 8 seconds
    • Spell: Dead Men Floating : Recharge time: 6 seconds
    • Spell: Share Form of the Great Wolf : Recharge time: 12 seconds
      • Giving rangers this buff would also be cool
    • Spell: Talisman of the Niklothar : Recharge time: 5 seconds
These are great, though I honestly don't know what some of them are (no real experience with much end game content) I really would like to see shamans have a better endgame pet, maybe even a holdover lvl 64 non-runic/whatever pet before the endgame version. Perhaps the endgame version could cast that AOE cripple spell people like, I don't know if that's be OP but it seems like it'd be cool and perhaps more beneficial than the slow idea since people seem opposed to that.

Bump it after the Dev team is done working on 2.5. That alone is far better than anything in this thread. And some in this thread might even be possible then!
2.5 is certainly huge, but it would be nice if more S+R threads got some staff feedback of some sort, even if it's not "this is awesome and we're implementing it immediately!"

Kedrin's post has great ideas that are pretty simple to implement so I don't think it's unreasonable for some of them to be pushed through prior to 2.5 which is likely still months away at best.

Realistically, I think many of these may be reaching too high, but many others are ideas I could easily get behind. (Not that I have any clout myself!) I'm especially in favor of the SHM Relic pet idea. I think that this class's pet is neglected far too often because of its poor survivability, and it's actually much rarer these days to spot a 65 Shaman with a wolf pet up than one without a wolf pet up! Considering this class's pet comes from a full pedigree of summon spells leading all the way back to level 34 (unlike, say, the CLR hammer pet, which can be regarded as a one-off novelty), it sure isn't given very satisfying finality. :(

any and every single fight that mattered i have summoned a pet. if you did not see a pet its because the fight was garbage or because you were grouped with a bad shaman. The only thing that the shaman pet needs in my opinion is something that is talked about in kedrins post (make pet focus' not suck)

Back
Top Bottom