population?

The only solution is to have a server reset that only affects tanks. Or just give people an option to start their char already at tier 13.

as a guy who hasn't regularly played this game in about 4 years but who makes an annual comeback effort every summer, i can say that SoD today is virtually unplayable for casuals. Getting ahead in this game is all about pressing the right buttons and having the right friends, in that order. Population is so low these days that it's hard to make friends.

I remember back when I was in Prophecy under Boombap, right about when Ikisith went live, there was always a group in Paw, there was always a group or two in kaladim, there was always a group or two in Lasanth, there were always people killing goblins and robots in heartlands, and elds, rust and mielC were hotly contest. As a POS enchanter I could never even crack a cmal group. Nowadays, these zones are wastelands. I have no idea how anybody who has played regularly since 08/09 can look objectively at the population and say it's not a problem.

The last iteration of Terrible was a few months ago and lasted all of 2 weeks before dying so I doubt it.

I said a year ago because thade is an asshole and wouldnt let me get loot unless i had my MQ done. fuck that guy!

as a guy who hasn't regularly played this game in about 4 years but who makes an annual comeback effort every summer, i can say that SoD today is virtually unplayable for casuals. Getting ahead in this game is all about pressing the right buttons and having the right friends, in that order. Population is so low these days that it's hard to make friends.

I remember back when I was in Prophecy under Boombap, right about when Ikisith went live, there was always a group in Paw, there was always a group or two in kaladim, there was always a group or two in Lasanth, there were always people killing goblins and robots in heartlands, and elds, rust and mielC were hotly contest. As a POS enchanter I could never even crack a cmal group. Nowadays, these zones are wastelands. I have no idea how anybody who has played regularly since 08/09 can look objectively at the population and say it's not a problem.

Oh im not saying its not a problem. Its a problem 100% but not enough is done to attract new people. I already stated long before that this server doesnt get the movement to have 1 account drive a year. This server needs to have account drives 4 times or more a year to try to get people back over here.

Oh im not saying its not a problem. Its a problem 100% but not enough is done to attract new people. I already stated long before that this server doesnt get the movement to have 1 account drive a year. This server needs to have account drives 4 times or more a year to try to get people back over here.

I don't think account drives are the answer. The server is like pouring water into a leaky bucket. As fast as people join the server more are leaving. The issue is keeping people here long enough that they develop the skills to play the game and get hooked. The newbie quests are definitely good but unless you can ensure there are people around to group with then newbies who aren't boxing just won't have any incentive to play beyond level 20.

Finally, at the risk of opening old wounds, getting killed in the MoP because you have a blind as a bat race doesn't encourage you to play on. Don't know what it's like in North America but in the UK server lag doesn't help either.

A lot of what people are saying in this thread seems pretty foreign to me. I'm a casual player, never done anything over t6ish pugs. I have a lot of characters and am having fun in Shards.

Why don't people who care about the server pop make a guild devoted to introducing new players to the game by doing fun events for new players such as Adepts? I would have loved if on my first characters other people started things I could join since I didn't know what I was doing well enough to start the groups myself.

No Shards EQ Emu listing?

I am one of those lowbie casual players being discussed, so I understand the worry with low population. I was wondering today, is there any reason we are not on the EQemulator.org server list?

SoD is by far the best of 'em....shouldn't we advertise there?
It seems Project 1999 has the numbers, I saw 1025 on tonight - I would think a good number of them would be willing to try a brand new world with no corpse runs :)

My 2 cents.

I am one of those lowbie casual players being discussed, so I understand the worry with low population. I was wondering today, is there any reason we are not on the EQemulator.org server list?

The client version that SOD runs on is way too old to be on the eqmulator list. there are also issues with the login server names (since they use their own). there are a couple of issues at this point but i think they are hashing them out.

Also, they are working on upgrading the client (3.0) so it can be ready to appear on that in the event that they want to do it.

SoD is by far the best of 'em....shouldn't we advertise there?
It seems Project 1999 has the numbers, I saw 1025 on tonight - I would think a good number of them would be willing to try a brand new world with no corpse runs :)

For the most part i think people who play p99 want to play p99. I did it for about a year and a half and endedu p leaving. but yeah i agree that would be a great place to get some people

Yeah this is about right. I remember when I was new there were people all over the popular newbie zones. The problem I guess is almost no one is making alts so the low level population isn't really there now.

If you don't know why, I'm 100% sure you are in high-tier active rading guild.

Yes i am in <Seven Virtues> we kill tier 8-11. Even tho we encourage European and early Americans to be in the guild with us. We are recruiting a active mage and we let in ppl who plays at our times for exp/quests/6mans.

If our play times doesnt work out with you theres that American guild who lets everyone in called Prophecy.

This game is all about being active find new friends and do shit with em. If your char isnt tier 10 but you can box 1 in for ppl they will do stuffs for you.

Yeah this is about right. I remember when I was new there were people all over the popular newbie zones. The problem I guess is almost no one is making alts so the low level population isn't really there now.

I think this is definitely a factor. I never wanted to roll an alt because there were still so many tomes left to do on Susvain, and then once I had gotten just about everything done except for opuses I immediately rolled several adept twinks, a beastlord alt for Terrible, etc. 99% of raiders will never "finish" their characters though which really decreases the number of people that roll alts.

:(

For the most part i think people who play p99 want to play p99. I did it for about a year and a half and endedu p leaving. but yeah i agree that would be a great place to get some people

That I understand, They want the old feel back, just like it was back then. I couldn't do it. It takes way too long to level and the thought of going back to corpse runs makes me shudder. Shards fo' life.

Other than advertising on EQEmu when the software is ready, I am racking my brain on where else to advertise. I see we have a presence on reddit.

I really want to grow this community, this is a great server, people just need to know we are here.

When I was new-ish I got really lucky. The same week I hit level 65 there were two Tier 1-2 guilds recruiting members to start raiding. I took my pick and joined one and jumped right into the raiding game.

Since those guilds (Pwny Express and Collegium, and I guess Terrible later on but that was mainly alts) there have really been no guilds actively (as opposed to casually) raiding tiers 4 and under and really experiencing raiding for the first time.

There is a wide open spot in the server right now for some dedicated person who wants to start this guild up. All of these low tier 65s would probably jump right on board and I would put money on the guild being a success if it was lead correctly.

You haven't experienced this game til you kill a raid boss that you spend weeks trying to learn how to kill and your ventrillo goes absolutely nuts with cheers. It was Maysun and the City Event in Plane of Fire for us.

I would bet that only maybe 40% of this server is tier 10 or above, and yeah, those tier 10s are going to want to hang with other tier 10s, I used to not bring a guy who was 65 with 12AAs and BoE gear on my exp groups either. It was faster with my peers.

The issue is the lower tier guys haven't banded together, your other low tier peers are going to be the ones to help you progress, not the existing tier 10s.

Damnit I miss this game now.

That is just it.. I log in try to make a group/find a group .. I ended up /q and playing something else.

I don't think account drives are the answer. The server is like pouring water into a leaky bucket. As fast as people join the server more are leaving. The issue is keeping people here long enough that they develop the skills to play the game and get hooked. The newbie quests are definitely good but unless you can ensure there are people around to group with then newbies who aren't boxing just won't have any incentive to play beyond level 20.

Finally, at the risk of opening old wounds, getting killed in the MoP because you have a blind as a bat race doesn't encourage you to play on. Don't know what it's like in North America but in the UK server lag doesn't help either.

your blind as bat race gets 1% spell crit which is more OP than any other race. Cast one of wizard vision improvement spells on yourself before you run through the MOP!!! or get an SB dark elf illusion. also good point about keeping people as opposed to recruiting more.

but anyway this game is always fun and the best version of everquest so there will always be some population i think.

account drives help without a doubt, but the problem is always retaining those players.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom