Pick Pocket Bugs

cedrine

Dalayan Beginner
I've been having a lot of fun thieving. Whoever put that stuff in for rogues/bards is awesome.

Couple of things that I'm not sure are bugs or just changes over the years. Here's relevant information I dug up on the forums talking about pick pockets:

BTW guys, remember that this goes far beyond Newport. Other cities, farms, etc, also have stealable items at night and NPCs that can be pickpocketed.

If you're doing the rogue pickpocket's test, steal from Newport merchants. They all drop (small) coin purses, including the night merchants.

The other stuff you can steal from the merchants (the cheap jewelry, regular jewelry, ornate dagger, etc)

Possible bug: Can't pick pocket fenceable goods?
Maybe this is no longer a thing? I can't seem to pick pocket any of the fenceable goods from merchants or other named NPCs (still get some purses from generic citizens)? And from what I gather you used to be able to pick pocket anything that wasn't [MAGIC] tagged -- although the wiki article initially had [NO DROP] and [MAGIC] both being not stealable. Probably makes sense for a rogue to be unable to steal quest items.

Possible bug: You gain skill with any use of the skill -- doesn't matter if you succeed/fail/target has nothing. Makes it very easy to raise the skill which is maybe deliberate?

Possible bug: If you are caught stealing but no other NPC sees you, you don't gain heat. Not sure why you wouldn't get heat from being caught?

Possible bug: Some mobs/NPCs give odd steal fail responses -- examples:
-- a clockwork rat (Underhill), will yell "Stop thief!" if they catch you.
-- Arenness Galvennir (Southern Newport), will yell "Guards! Guards! Murderer!"

Possible bug: This is more amusing and nostalgic (iirc live also did this), but you can pick pocket unexpected things -- like the hide right off a wolf or (my personal favorite so far) the head right off of Tal'yan.

Possible bug: Lottery Master Shalva (Southern Newport) is apparently on guard faction (becomes KoS with heat) and sees through sneak/hide. I assume other loterry masters do as well.

Back
Top Bottom