Pet Options - Similar to BL Warden Options

Daffie

Dalayan Pious Diety
I think everyone can agree that the BL warden option is a cool thing. (Except for when you group in Kaesora with the ass hole who has the elephant pet... you know who you are... It would be cool if all players could change their pet, after the initial selection, via the guild masters...)

I propose that this system be copy/pasted with some minor changes for all classes that have pets. This would give a very flavorful customization option, and more world depth. Maybe necromancers can summon skeletons, mummies, specters, zombies, or some undead even more sinister like undead dwarfs? Maybe Shadow knights can only change the color of the skeletons they summon. Maybe mages can summon elementals, suits of armor, or the weird things with all the tentacle arms from crystal caverns, etc.

I'm not creative enough to come up with options for each class/race, but I will make the empty matrix below for someone populate who is more creative and game lore knowledgeable.

Ranger Option #1 Option #2 Option #3
High Elf
Halfing
Human
Wood Elf

Shadowknight Option #1 Option #2 Option #3
Dark Elf
Erudite
Gnome
Human
Iksar
Ogre
Troll

Cleric Option #1 Option #2 Option #3
Dark Elf
Dwarf
Erudite
Froglok
Gnome
Halfing
High Elf
Human

Druid Option #1 Option #2 Option #3
Half Elf
Halfling
Human
Wood Elf

Shaman Option #1 Option #2 Option #3
Barbarian
Froglok
Iksar
Ogre
Troll
Vah

Enchanter Option #1 Option #2 Option #3
Dark Elf
Erudite
Gnome
High Elf
Human

Magician Option #1 Option #2 Option #3
Dark Elf
Erudite
Gnome
High Elf
Human

Necromancer Option #1 Option #2 Option #3
Dark Elf
Erudite
Gnome
Human
Iksar

Wizard Option #1 Option #2 Option #3
Dark Elf
Erudite
Froglok
Gnome
High Elf
Human

This would be a lot of fun. When I'm at my computer later, maybe I'll see if I can't whip up some more thoughtful input.

Next Christmas, maybe Necros can have seasonal specters!

ColdSpectreSanta_zps872dd7dc.jpg

A major problem with this is that there are just so many models that are global, and quite some that won't in zones other then their home, wich limits this quite a bit.

About mages: their different pets already have different effects and optics (atleast till relic pet, and r2 pet is influenced by the mages elemental form...), and them summoning elementals is 100% in line with their lore of being the summoners of extraplanar beings, so I really don't think they need new pet options.

That aside, I like this idea.

A major problem with this is that there are just so many models that are global, and quite some that won't in zones other then their home, wich limits this quite a bit.
One option is simply to create a number of variants on the same model. This would eliminate the need to increase the number of global loads altogether. For instance, several new texture sets could be created for the Druid frog (which I've done before), and the texture that comes up could be randomized upon summoning or the Druid could have a /cm druidpet 0 command (for texture 0, for example) to set it manually. The Enchanter animation ought to be the easiest of all for this, given that it only requires a change in held item ID numbers. Maybe this would be some heavy lifting on the development side for a mere superficial change on the player side. I don't know. Still fun to think about!

druid and rangers sound cool, i also personally always wished mages summoned a golem of different elementals for their runic 2 pet. like the spikey back golems in inner sacntum, it would prob take grinkles all of 10 secs to whip up a fire and water texture for that model.

the spikey back golems in inner sacntum
FireGolem_zpsb02573d2.jpg

The seams show a little too much for my liking on the wrists/hands, and I could probably improve upon the spikes on the back to make them stand out more, but something along these lines would do in a pinch. (Though there is somewhat of a problem with this model relating to Zaela's Texture Adder, so I'd need to resolve that with her first.... I had to use a ghetto trick to get the above textures to show.)

I like that Grinkles. I have said for years now that the final Mage pets (or at least current final) should be unique-ish. Sure the models may be used elsewhere (Mirror Golems for example) but unique to pet summoners. The mirrow golem model was always my first thought when I imagined Runic Mage pet. This is excellent indeed.

I'm kind of curious what you might have in mind for barb shaman pets. I've been running around with the same pet wolf since Kunark released.

The obvious choices would be mobs from the tundra. Mammoth, leopards, spiders. Having a gnoll pet would be cool!

I don't think mage pets need new models. Especially r2. If you have that pet you usually have an elemental illusion on as well. The time could be better use on other ones. Also, not all shamans are from the tundra. That is a barb-centric way of thinking. Check your privilege.

I don't think mage pets need new models. Especially r2. If you have that pet you usually have an elemental illusion on as well. The time could be better use on other ones. Also, not all shamans are from the tundra. That is a barb-centric way of thinking. Check your privilege.

I really like the idea of different look for Mage r2 pets. It gets kind of boring always having the same looking pet.

Also, the illusion won't change the form if an updated pet just the color/textures.

Back
Top Bottom