Paranormal Activity

Really? The hype machine around it is pretty solid. What was the problem? Bad acting? Bad plot? Not scary?

lol wow, it was really only made with 15k. And they are up to 35mil take so far. Nice margins.

Considering I missed Drag Me to Hell, and this is getting good reviews, I'll probably still take a look at it. But why did you hate it!

I personally found it rather dull and not scary, but then again I'm the type of person who doesn't really get scared by movies. I like horror movies that have twisted and crazy plots with lots of "twitch" factor to them. By twitch factor I mean a lot of parts where the killer/monster/etc. suddenly appears with a loud screech and the audience gasps and shivers from the surprise of it. This movie, while not completely lacking it, under delivers in this department.

This movie is more of the "fill in the blanks with your imagination," type. Which works very well for some. My girlfriend thought it was the scariest thing she'd ever seen. But I was left terribly bored for all but about 20 minutes of it. Partially because I could tell the movie was about to wrap up and the thought of going home was equally exciting as the climax of the movie.

The plot is very thin. That's probably what they were aiming for, but personally I think it could have been much better had they developed it more. Though they tried to leave some open ended questions to it, you don't really care to think about the answer to them.

The acting wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great. The woman was half believable. The male was believable at first but as the movie went on and his attitude stayed relatively the same he became less and less believable and more annoying.

There was some other stuff they did that instantly said "you're watching a cheap movie." For one, crazy stuff happens and they rarely turn on lights. And even when they do, they do so sluggishly.

Having not seen this one yet, I have to say that it reminds a lot of the Blair Witch Project (which sucked hard). None of my friends or family want to see it so I'm not likely to see it anyway.

I thought it was great. Best horror movie I've seen in a while. If you don't mind the hand held type of camera (like Cloverfield, Quarantine, ect) then you should like it. I thought it was going to be over hyped but it really wasn't IMO.

Eh looks like it was going to be another boring shitfest to me. Not surprised it warrants 3 sadfaces. 2012 also looked like it would suck, it's hilarious people still go on about it though after Mayan elders were essentially all like seriously, please fucking stop.

"I personally found it rather dull and not scary, but then again I'm the type of person who doesn't really get scared by movies. I like horror movies that have twisted and crazy plots with lots of "twitch" factor to them. By twitch factor I mean a lot of parts where the killer/monster/etc. suddenly appears with a loud screech and the audience gasps and shivers from the surprise of it."

No offense, but I find that movies with sever "twitch" factor are poorly made, with no artistry. Anyone could design a movie like that, which plays off of a basic human response to something scary being thrust in their face.

Paranormal activity doesn't thrust itself into your face, it slowly worms its way into you, leaving you with a queasy, disturbed feeling that you can't quite shake. The acting is quite authentic seeming, while the plot is, perhaps, a tad simple. You'll really feel connected to the characters, and lets not forget, this movie cost less than 20 thousand dollars to make. You or I could have afforded to make it, but it really took a good director and talented actors to make us BELIEVE it.

Half of the theatre I was in were wondering if the movie was actually real footage (it's not, thank god, I had nightmares enough).

If you're looking to be disturbed and mildly terrified, disquieted and not just repeatedly shocked, then this movie is definately for you. If you want WOW-Factor and sparkling special effects, and blood and gore, then don't go see this movie. The horror is incredibly downplayed, but very cogent.

It wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, or even close. But was it worth going to see? Hell yes.

It was extremely boring. The plot of the movie is a girl is being haunted so they set up a camera to record things at night. You hear foot steps and thuds from time to time. That's about it

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews, but I do want to see it. One difficulty with horror movies is that people try to judge them on whether they were "scared". It's a tall order for a movie to scare you, especially if you're watching it in a dark room with 30 other people while you sip on a jumbo mountain dew and eat Sour Patch Kids. That said, I haven't seen it, and it seems like it could easily be gimmicky, which is what I've heard from some reviews.

Personally, I was fine with the Blair Witch Project and I thought Cloverfield was cool, so I definitely want to check this out. That a shoe-string budget horror movie has had this much success at all is impressive to me.

I just hope it's half as good as BioDome.

It wasn't the greatest movie ever. It wasn't the worst movie ever either. Personally, I don't enjoy the "twitch" style of horror movie, because its a pretty simple way to do things. At least this makes you think and it's a pretty decent film.

Has some good comedy moments, I find the guy to be hilarious throughout the whole movie. The girl is entertaining, its got some decent WTF moments (not scary, but your really sitting there saying WTF).

Basically, the movie was a video camera, two actors, fishing line and baby powder. It's a great MacGyver if anything else.

If you hated Blair witch project cause of the camera style, this movie only comes mildly close to that. It won't make you dizzy from a spinning camera shaking while someone is running, its pretty steady even though hes supposed to be holding it.

If you have doubts about it, then rent it later. But I think it's worth watching once, even if its not your type of film.

"I personally found it rather dull and not scary, but then again I'm the type of person who doesn't really get scared by movies. I like horror movies that have twisted and crazy plots with lots of "twitch" factor to them. By twitch factor I mean a lot of parts where the killer/monster/etc. suddenly appears with a loud screech and the audience gasps and shivers from the surprise of it."

No offense, but I find that movies with sever "twitch" factor are poorly made, with no artistry. Anyone could design a movie like that, which plays off of a basic human response to something scary being thrust in their face.

Paranormal activity doesn't thrust itself into your face, it slowly worms its way into you, leaving you with a queasy, disturbed feeling that you can't quite shake. The acting is quite authentic seeming, while the plot is, perhaps, a tad simple. You'll really feel connected to the characters, and lets not forget, this movie cost less than 20 thousand dollars to make. You or I could have afforded to make it, but it really took a good director and talented actors to make us BELIEVE it.

Half of the theatre I was in were wondering if the movie was actually real footage (it's not, thank god, I had nightmares enough).

If you're looking to be disturbed and mildly terrified, disquieted and not just repeatedly shocked, then this movie is definately for you. If you want WOW-Factor and sparkling special effects, and blood and gore, then don't go see this movie. The horror is incredibly downplayed, but very cogent.

It wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, or even close. But was it worth going to see? Hell yes.

That's exactly my point. Movies made to slowly disturb and all that good jazz do not do that to me. If I want to watch something disturbing, I can watch a documentary about one of the many real disturbing issues out there. If I want to watch a piece of fiction then yeah, over the top is what does it for me. I understand that your OPINION of these movies is that they are poorly made with no artistry, but it is my opinion that Paranormal Activity is dull and boring.

It was based on a true story taken from video camera of a real couple, police department sold it to the film studio, etc. It's a re-enactment of real events.

Back
Top Bottom