Overused spell icon.

mechkl

Dalayan Elder
while its a cool icon... it seems super common in the game covering a wide range of spells... so since just plain whining about it didnt get me anywhere here is a visual aid i threw together to encourage this 5 min change!

s7yi.jpg

bitter cold suppose to be 59... its cooler icon... frosty reaper thing....

update

http://www.mediafire.com/download/pos3rku44m0m1lt/spells_us.txt

Last edited:
Above this is a terrible post. Above that is an excellent, A++ post. Thank you for this schizophrenic fun, Tierilo. I would give you rep and take it right back, but that doesn't work, so I'm just not gonna rep you at all. Still, you woulda got some for the first post.

In case you missed, I support this change.

I forgot my forum info so I had Tierilo post for me. But yes, please for the love of jesus. That icon is overused like crazy. I feel bad now cause I don't remember Rage of the Wild in my list of spells lmao

i could post every spell icon i hacve changed.... or i could just host teh files so that people can you my spell icons... but then you would have to use defaults icons and buff icons cause i have alot of cutsom icons... like soothing spectral silks most of my mage nukes..... they are posted in another thread somewhere... plus i would have to update the spell file every time a dev changed anything at all in the spell file... which can get tedious...

Above this is a terrible post. Above that is an excellent, A++ post. Thank you for this schizophrenic fun, Tierilo. I would give you rep and take it right back, but that doesn't work, so I'm just not gonna rep you at all. Still, you woulda got some for the first post.

In case you missed, I support this change.

hey this all is connected in MY head....

awwwww crap bitter cold is suppose to be 59..

Last edited:
As an enchanter, I approve this message. Vex, Forlorn Deeds, and Dampening Curse also share this icon. In fact it might be possible to fill the entire bar with just this one.

Can someone on staff please PM Tierilo about redoing all spell icons, claim his work as your own in one of the better patches in recent memory, and then slide him a few hundred fame hush points under the table? Or just do it out in the open- that way works too.

When I play my friends beast ihave noticed that bitter cold sometimes shows up as the ice crystal icon 56, it doesn't always but now and again it will. Anyone else ever have that happen. Or is it just some weird error I am getting from using the cell shaded char graphics Grinkles linked us, like how everything invisible shows up as a pink human.

slaar said i could redo all the icons if i want if i gave a list and didnt use any custom ones... but i made alot of custom icons... and when i asked classes i didnt main for a list of icons tht need to change i only got rangers to answer

i have done pretty much druid, encahnter, beastlord, ranger, shadowknight, paladin and magician... shaman actually looked okay, as far as icons go. that doesnt mean that i didnt miss any and that i use the same spell set ups.

So still needing:

Cleric
Bard
Necromancer
Wizard
~Shaman

Quickly looking at my spell I can help a little bit with Necromancer:
=Pet and Self duration taps use the same image which confuses stupid people like me.
=Lifetaps stop using the red pointing finger in favor of the red wand for some reason.
=Gangerous Touch (60 tap), cure disease, and Scitterpox (and other disease dots) all use the same icon.
=High level undead nukes (possible b/c they're "destroy") use the lifetap finger instead of the black hand of earlier undead nukes.
=Scent resist debuffs and DoT snares both use the black goo icon.
=Zevfeer's Theft of Vitae and Lifeflow use the black heart icon.
=fury of the swamp is a poison spell with a fire icon?

Some of those I honestly do not give half a damn about and some are not really what you're doing here, but there you go!

Quickly looking at my spell I can help a little bit with Necromancer:
=Pet and Self duration taps use the same image which confuses stupid people like me.

Add fear to this. Uses the same Spookyheadimage as well. Chill Bones and Cryotoxin have the same icon as well (I have absolutely no idea what you could use for Cryotoxin tbh).

A distinction between Hymn of the Savior and mots would be good, as well as one for the refuge nuke. But I am too lazy to dig around looking for various spell gems.

I'm willing to change these out. I'd like to do them all at once - anyone else have any to add? It's not a super high priority as we get 2.5 ready to roll out in just over a week's time, but when I get a few spare minutes I can start changing these out. Double plus good if you provide the icon IDs like some folks here have.

I'm willing to change these out. I'd like to do them all at once - anyone else have any to add? It's not a super high priority as we get 2.5 ready to roll out in just over a week's time, but when I get a few spare minutes I can start changing these out. Double plus good if you provide the icon IDs like some folks here have.

Two tangentially related things to bring to your attention while you're on the job, Taryth:

1. Spell: Spear of Warding (Spell ID 102) could benefit from being changed to single target type rather than self (that is, from a yellow gem to a red one) so that it matches up with all the other MAG summons.

2. Spell: Nejax's Unmaking Curse (the so-called "construct curse"; Spell ID 2232) has had a pure black gem ever since it was implemented. Maybe it ought to be changed to red to be in line with other detrimentals unless there was some purpose behind this. If this was intended, maybe the other four curses (six if you count Jinx and Vex) ought to be changed to black.

Back on subject --
I don't know which set of spell icons the 2.5 client will have, but my up-to-date EQ install (which I keep for texture purposes) uses a completely different set to the one our server uses. I believe the actual icon count is identical, but I might as well give people a heads-up that the icons we're all used to could change once we get the client upgrade. This could be bypassed and reverted pretty easily as long as the files are backed up in advance, but I personally dragged over all the modern EQ icons to my SoD UI ages ago just to spice things up (and maybe partly to imagine I'm playing on a newer client). :toot: This will have no effect on which icon IDs were assigned to which spell IDs, but if people are antsy to see the changes mentioned in this thread because they're sick of looking at the same old images year after year, bear in mind that these images might be due for a change with the upgrade.

Could someone post a reference picture for the spell gems we are working with and some indication as to the numbering? It would really help those of us of sub-Mechkl/Grinkles skills assist in picking replacement gems and giving better notes. I vaguely recall seeing such an image before but forum search and the Google are not being my friend today.

Bards:
Psalm of Cooling and Psalm of the Four = same

Back
Top Bottom