Newport Ring 5 -- Should be fixed for real this time!

Xeldan

Staff Emeritus
Hey guys,

I spent all afternoon rewriting the script for the fifth quest in the Newport Ring series -- commonly referred to as "Newport Ring 5" -- and it should be bug-free now.

With this rewrite is a slight change to the way things work, so I'll describe them below.

- Your Counter Agent Vial will not cleanse a worshipper immediately; you must first weaken him. I'll leave the exact values up to you to discover.
- You have a limited amount of time to cleanse the worshipper after weakening him.
- Upon successfully cleansing a plague worshipper, you will immediately have your flag incremented. From here, the worshipper becomes unattackable while cleansed, and remains that way for a bit to prevent "camping" the same exact worshipper over and over; you'll want to move around to finish the quest. After a few minutes, he becomes attackable again, but still maintains the flag so that he cannot be cleansed.
- The total time between being able to cleanse a single worshipper is a bit longer than their repop time, so that it's more beneficial to move around to different worshippers.
- Because of the above changes, "enraged plague priest" will no longer spawn upon cleansing a plague worshipper.
- The number of worshippers needing to be cleansed has been increased by 50% due to the removal of enraged plague priests.

The remainder of this quest, i.e. killing Althok the Plagued, is left untouched by these changes. He will simply spawn after cleansing enough worshippers.

If you happen to come across any issues specific to this portion of the quest, please reply to this thread. I'm going to go over the other parts of this quest now that the biggest offender is taken care of.

Nice fix, but it took out my favorite part of the quest - beating the crap out of enraged plague priests :(

Hopefully, no one will have any trouble with it anymore :)

I have 1 complaint about this change, otherwise all is good.

Doesn't this make the Newport V ring easyer? Enrage Priest are much harder then Plague Worshippers.

10ish plague worshippers vs 7 enraged priests doesn't seem to be on the same diff scale.

Of course if the intent was to make it easyer then all is good.

Kirin Folken said:
I have 1 complaint about this change, otherwise all is good.

Doesn't this make the Newport V ring easyer? Enrage Priest are much harder then Plague Worshippers.

10ish plague worshippers vs 7 enraged priests doesn't seem to be on the same diff scale.

Of course if the intent was to make it easyer then all is good.

This is mostly why I increased the number required to cleanse. The most difficult part is still going to be Althok, and I'm considering making him slightly harder to balance out the easier path getting to him.

Xeldan said:
This is mostly why I increased the number required to cleanse. The most difficult part is still going to be Althok, and I'm considering making him slightly harder to balance out the easier path getting to him.

Not sure I like the idea of just giving Althok more power, but I do agree over all the quest could use a beef up. How about adding some adds with Althok? since he is the Priest of plague prehaps when he spawns he also comes with some Plague Rats (make the rats lower level so they end up being much like the rat spawns from Easy Tmaps.) Then prehaps at 75%, 50%, and 25% health he summons a new wave of Rats. Would certainly add to the encounters over all level of Diff along with making the last battle (for the final Newport ring) much more dramatic without just bumping his power up.

Would give CCers something to do on this quest as well :) Considering everything else in Newport V doesn't require any sort of CC at all.

I think putting adds in with him is a horrible idea. For a lot of people it's hard to find help for this quest without them also needing to get it done. Making the dude even tougher is going to make it worse. Prior to this change, the only real encouragement for help was the fact that enraged plague priests dropped some pretty nifty loot items. Now that's gone and it takes even longer to do the quest, it's going to be a lot harder for people to find help they'll need to get it done.

If you want to balance out the difficulty, add in a "beat up this many plague priests" portion with a flag and that should sort it out nicely.

That isn't currently possible to do with the scripting system for grouped players, but good point about the loot not existing anymore. I'll work on getting that issue alleviated.

loot??? Enrage priest drop loot.....
:what:

I still like the rat idea, but I will concide on your point of hard finding a group to do this quest.

Xeldan said:
If you happen to come across any issues specific to this portion of the quest, please reply to this thread. I'm going to go over the other parts of this quest now that the biggest offender is taken care of.

This being the case, if you want to make suggestions on how to change the quest, do so in a brand new thread that is designed for that purpose. Leave this thread alone for the sake of bugs, and bugs alone so that it doesn't get cluttered.

Kirin Folken said:

Yes, it does. But it now also seems to work. Whereas before it was so buggy that a lot of people just gave up on it.

After helping with this new quest a couple times I find the quest to be a lot more FUN, where before it could be a tedius frustrating grind.

My question is: Will people who's quests are broken because of past buggs get some consideration? And if so, what is the appropriate way to petition?

Rrowrr said:
Yes, it does. But it now also seems to work. Whereas before it was so buggy that a lot of people just gave up on it.

After helping with this new quest a couple times I find the quest to be a lot more FUN, where before it could be a tedius frustrating grind.

My question is: Will people who's quests are broken because of past buggs get some consideration? And if so, what is the appropriate way to petition?

Be more specific than "past bugs" and a dev will probably look into it.

Hi

first off i would like to say, Great job to all the hard working staff that enables us to play on such a great server!

my problem:

ive cleansed 11/12 worshippers, but on the 12th, i was a bit slow, when i cleansed, it updated to 12/12 but he also died shortly thereafter,
and althok never spawned, we waited i dont know, 30-45 minutes for althok to spawn, but he never did..
ive also tried to cleanse more worshippers, but nothing happends.
i would appreciate any help on this matter

-Essix

EDIT: Fixed Thank you Woldo for unflagging me and Yaladwen for helping me cleanse the last worshippers again :) (sorry if i misspelled your name(s))

Hello. Got to 12/12 and no Anthok guy. Only one person cleansed the whole time. I'm flagged 12/12. Any thoughts/help?

-Edgewona

Gm came and fixed in game. Thanks much.

Lunakindt Had same Problem

Hello,

Last night May 31 2008, Lunakindt and several Prestige members tried to get her Ring V and the named would not spawn. Unfortunatly we could not connect with a GM. Is there a time we should be on to be able to connect with a GM? I know they cannot be on all the time. I belive GM Waldo Rebooted the sever but this did not fix the prblem either. Any help is appreciated~Taver

I have the No-Anthok-Spawn problem too.

(times in UTC+2)

[Thu Oct 02 20:53:30 2008] Cleansed plague worshipper: 12/12.
... (worshipper died, dotted him up before cleanse)
... then we wait for Anthok to spawn somewhere
[Thu Oct 02 21:00:30 2008] ZONEWIDE_MESSAGE: This zone caused a fatal error and will shut down now. Your character will be restored to the last saved status. We are sorry for any inconvenience!

After we were all in zone again there was no Anthok and I couldn't cleanse any more worshippers.

Could you please tell me how we go on from this point on?

New bug

Apperantly if the last plague worshipper dies to a dot after being cleansed, althok will not spawn. We finished quest for a few people yesterday but i can't finish mine as the name didn't spawn, and clicking vial on more plague worshippers does nothing because my flag was incremented to 12/12.

Was told nothing could be done in game by petitioning and i needed to post here

Same thing happened to my Paladin (Fivof) a week ago.

I suspect that this will happen a lot. The wiki suggests killing the plague worshippers so that they will not come running at you once they are killable again. Obviously, the way to do that is to DOT it right before you cleanse it.

I also would like to know if this can be corrected for my character and the best way to seek redress.

I have tried to petition a few times, but no GM was on. Is this still the preferred method?

Last edited:
Set to 12/12 and no named

Same thing happened for my Druid (Shomarr) I pretty much gave up on this quest, but saw this thread and thought I would post to see if I ccould get the counter reset.

Need worshipper counter reset please

I asked about having the counter reset a couple of weeks ago for my druid Shomarr. I have tried a couple of times to see if this had been done, but so far no go. Could I please have this reset so I can complete the quest. If possible reset to 0 and so that I don't have to get a group together just to test it. If nothing else, respond letting me know why you can't reset the counter so I can start looking for a another ring slot item to replace the IV version.

Back
Top Bottom