new sod patcher 10/10/2014

Whatever it was it seems to be gone now and the patcher works again. Recalling the leg breakers. Thanks.

Well , It worked for a bit now it back to poofing away. Hmm you do something to the patcher again today?

Can you clarify? Does it crash, or does it simply close without running SoD?

I had the same thing happen, Norton antivirus doesn't like it at all and deleted it. I had to copy over an old version and decline the update.

That makes no sense at all - the patcher doesn't do anything risky. Not only that, the only changes with this version are adding the capability of the expanding box and download an alternate file. We also used a newer compiler (which is what caused the initial incompatibility with XP), but I find it really surprising AV hates it. It goes to prove AV in this day and age is just terminally stupid.

Anyway, you should be able to "whitelist" the patcher in your AV program. Sad that you have to.

I am still using XP on this ancient computer, perhaps that was it. I dunno. At any rate it seems to work now.

I know you have probably heard this Paxit, but I feel with you mentioning you play on XP still it is worth repeating.
XP isn't support any long by MS, so won't be receiving patches or anything anymore. It puts you at risk of bad stuff.

Link
Link

Also, if you use Windows8 you're at risk of using a bad OS and getting spammed by worthless apps. So pick your poison or use Windows 7.

Heh, you are absolutely right Pecannius.

The compiler (Visual Studio 2013) originally didn't have support for XP I guess, they expected people to just abandon it. Later they provided a target to allow it to run under XP. So we switched to using that. Is that part of the problem? I have no idea.

My best advice as I mentioned is to whitelist the patcher in your AV. I have actually tried reaching out to a few AV companies (I work in a related industry) and heard exactly nothing back. They know their products suck, and don't particularly care.

Yep im aware of XP support, It will be replaced soon. Just always gets put on back burner this summer as bills add up. Disable norton AV and it works fine for now. Thanks for the replies.

I clicked yes on the update by mistake today, its still doing it and I thought I would give a little more info. The message I get is "A program was behaving suspiciously on your computer. This program was removed." Threat name SONAR.Heuristic.120 File removed sodpatcher.exe

Under details it just says few users, new, high risk. Could it just be that they don't know what it is so they block it?

I think what it is is that's it's a program, with admin rights, launching another program (eqgame). It considers that suspicious, which is pretty weak. The "Heuristic" thing is basically them trying to detect new threats and obviously failing.

Just whitelist it as safe, and like jumbers said, contact the AV mfr. if you have time to say "yeah this is ok ppl."

Back
Top Bottom