New Player Box Help

Krugen

Dalayan Beginner
I am debating on what to box with my shaman and after looking at the tier list and wiki i can't decide between a ranger (i love the idea of having tracking and an easy to box character but the lack of mitigation for tanking sucks), a paladin (the idea of having the shaman for single target heals and canni while the paladin does group heals and tank seems like a sweet deal but the lack of dps makes this combo a little hard to pull off) and finally the shadowknight (good single target aggro, good mitigation and good damage but i did sk on live and not sure i want to do that again).

Basically im looking for a 2box combo that includes shaman that's self sufficient (farming items, doing quests and grinding exp). Right now im leaning towards the ranger but im looking for others opinions on the matter.

Thanks.

i'd roll a monk personally or possibly even a warrior
i'd go with monk, easier to gear and easier to scum into raids as an alt compared to WAR/SK/PAL. I'd argue against ranger because the ranger would end up tanking, and ranger melee dps is pretty bad. Monks are the best non tank(WAR/SK/PAL) class at tanking(excluding ranger in /s 4, but duoing and using /s 4 prevents the ranger from attacking with offhand weapon, which is bad), and the highest DPS class when tanking(excluding mobs rangers can bowtank). Monks are amazing for duoing with a healer.

How about now after revamps and class changes, are Monks still more worth while over Rangers? Bump?

It depends what you're looking for. Are you looking for a desirable high tier raiding class? If so: This post is pretty good.
Do you want to slowly get to 65 and do every quest in between? Gear up a bunch of alts? In that sense it doesn't matter.
I will add that for raiding monks have a higher skill gap because pulling / splitting stuff on a monk is much more knowledge dependent than pretty much anything you do as a ranger.

It depends what you're looking for. Are you looking for a desirable high tier raiding class? If so: This post is pretty good.
Do you want to slowly get to 65 and do every quest in between? Gear up a bunch of alts? In that sense it doesn't matter.
I will add that for raiding monks have a higher skill gap because pulling / splitting stuff on a monk is much more knowledge dependent than pretty much anything you do as a ranger.
Thanks for the post I will glance over it. I mained a monk and am familiar with the split pulling. I was looking to get into a raiding guild as my buddy is one now. They were asking for shammy monk but I was just seeing if maybe there' be other powerful duo combos I should consider before I dedicate time to them. I think this other post will have some good information. Thanks

Thanks for the post I will glance over it. I mained a monk and am familiar with the split pulling. I was looking to get into a raiding guild as my buddy is one now. They were asking for shammy monk but I was just seeing if maybe there' be other powerful duo combos I should consider before I dedicate time to them. I think this other post will have some good information. Thanks
monks are still arguably the best melee character to duo with a healer. If your plan is to main the monk, I'd advise making a cleric as your healer. Going by solosolkis thread, clerics would fall into god tier in most players eyes, and are even stronger now in 2.5 because of inflated health pools.

Really depends what you want to do. Cleric is definitely far superior for raiding. If raiding big stuff is your goal definitely go that way. Druid is superior in getting around (ports), questing, tracking, aka the ultimate quest buddy.

Rangers have super low melee DPS vs a comparable monk. This makes duoing with a Ranger painfully slow at times even with my ranger, who is somewhat high end. I have duoed CMal 3 hundreds of times with my Ranger and Cleric and I'm always sad how much slower Kedrin is at killing than a monk like Lleoc or a warrior like Mousekon.

Rangers are an amazing class to play however. They are wonderful DPS if they can use their bow and enjoyable to play in groups and raids. They are also very good at soloing and can get more solo exp than a slow group basically at any tier.

So, once again it comes down to what you want out of the game. It's almost like the game actually has a class system unlike modern MMOs when every class is the same.

I made a reply suggesting you look into beast as well, but that's a class that isn't fun to play and do well in if you plan on boxing a lot. For your purposes monk is really the best for your particular combo desires. Most other things would be situational and require a lot of button pushing.

Monk would have little button pushing, which would let you really focus on maximizing what a shaman can do in addition to just healing.

Back
Top Bottom