New Area Bonus Proposal

I've avoided posting in this thread, but the last few points leave me needing to ask this.

Is the opinion stated here that you want the way the numbers are displayed to be adjusted so that the initial bonus appears as 250% and then works its way to a 0% bonus? I mean, this can be achieved with a few "small" changes wherein experience pre-new-old-modifier is adjusted downward and all of the new-old-modifiers are adjusted upward so that none of them appear as negative numbers and all of them are displayed as "new area bonus".

This was asked for before. Admin-Wiz (*ceremonial bow*) even said he'd be willing to do it. However, when it was genuinely posited to the playerbase as an option, people said they'd rather not have that change.

If I had my way it would be something like a low +10% or +20% long term bonus instead of +50% or whatever it starts at now. It would drop down to 0% and not go any lower.

Get rid of the super high end bonus (it goes away in 10 kills anyhow) and get rid of the penalties that last *literally* weeks to months.\

Nobody cares what you guys dress up the % bonus as, all we're looking at is how much XP is gained per kill. So if your plan is to make it +250% but make the mob's base xp way lower to offset the high bonus, it's not a good plan and it'll still cause the same issue.

I've avoided posting in this thread, but the last few points leave me needing to ask this.

Is the opinion stated here that you want the way the numbers are displayed to be adjusted so that the initial bonus appears as 250% and then works its way to a 0% bonus? I mean, this can be achieved with a few "small" changes wherein experience pre-new-old-modifier is adjusted downward and all of the new-old-modifiers are adjusted upward so that none of them appear as negative numbers and all of them are displayed as "new area bonus".

This was asked for before. Admin-Wiz (*ceremonial bow*) even said he'd be willing to do it. However, when it was genuinely posited to the playerbase as an option, people said they'd rather not have that change.

I think it is the amount of xp that they are complaining about, (once you get to negative bonus,) not the actual number.

(Honestly, negative numbers look bad. Think of it from the perspective of a new player. Would you rather see a -50% bonus, or 0 bonus. -50 appears like you are getting penalized, even though the reality is you are just not getting lagniappe.)

I'm saying that if it's going to take 400 AA to reset the new area bonus, there needs to be more than a small handful of zones worth going to, or that the new area bonuses need to last long enough so that this new system is actually a buff to exp as it was supposed to be.

how about you leave the positive exp bonus/base exp alone, cap it at 50% , and get rid of the negative exp hit. I'm pretty sure that's what people want.

Example current system 100% new area bonus ends with a total of 20k exp but with the -50 would be 5k, instead have it cap at +50% so the same npc would be 15k on the kill and drop to 0% bonus ending with 10k exp on the kill.

would be super easy to code, pretty sure you would just have to delete the lines that make it higher then +50 and lower then 0, unless there is some over complicated method used.

I would still like to see "blessed zones" drop more plat. Believe me that will draw more people then any exp bonus.

Last edited:
Here is my suggestion for redesigning the area bonuses. I think it might feel better psychologically.

At lvl 65, remove reseting the new area bonus every 200 AA's or whatever it is. Instead, each time you earn 100 experience in a zone you refresh the new area bonus in every zone in the game by 10 experience. This would cause you to use up 90 experience worth of the new area bonus in the zone your currently experiencing in (100-10=90). Also, drastically increase the ability of the new area bonus to build up so that if you only exp in a zone once every 3 months it accumulates a huge increase in experience.

Even though you might feel bad earning -25% experience in a zone, you would also be building up larger bonuses in other zones. Once the bonuses in the other zones get large enough it might be worth it to exp in an older zone for a night. You would use up the large bonus you had built up and also be refreshing your favorite, over used experience zones.

Back
Top Bottom