Necro AA idea.

Snake

Dalayan Elder
Problem(s).
As we all know the necro dots are slow, big pay load, but takes time to deliver.
That is not a problem as such, but the nearer the end of a fight the necro gets, the less he or she can do to apply more damage. In very short fights, the necro may not cast at all. Now that is sort of a problem

One of the best abilities the Necromancer have (imo), is their 'Strands of Life' tome. But because of the way they do damage, with their dots slowly poking away, its hard to get kill shots.
Sure the PBAE spell helps, but its still hard. (Hard in it self is not a problem, but still, ability to score more kill shots would be better, obv)

There are fights, where you need to do 0 damage, in certain periods of time, like Myrmidon in Citadel, or various Prison Golems, and probably more I forget, or where you just dont want the dots to be on the mob, like at Kralaw shamans in EF, when they start to heal, would be nice if dots could go away at an instance, so dispell can freely take out the HoT.

Solution:
Change the more or less useless AA 'Leechstorm' (an other semi problem, AA that doesn't do much good), in to something like 'Affliction Storm'.

Here is what it does.
Cast time 1 second.
Mana 1 and 20% life.
15 seconds cooldown.
All dots cast by the Necromancer all goes of at once on the target, delivering 1/3 of all remaining dot ticks (max 10 ticks pr. dot).

So say the necro has 3 dots on target, the 3 relic dots, the 2 life taps with 4 and 5 ticks left, and the fire dot with 6 ticks left.
Necro casts Affliction Storm, and loses 20% health, now all the dots ticks goes off, at 1/3 their normal damage.
4 ticks lifetap pet (506,67 base total).
5 ticks lifetap necro ( 633,33 base total)
6 ticks of fire (960 base total)
2100 base damage, total. Not insane by any means, but better than the mob just dien in 3 seconds anyway, and all the ticks lost, or say the mymidon was getting close to 10%, and the dots had to go.

Could also just check out its power lvl compared to Wizard nukes.
Moon Comet, 2575 base damage, at 525 mana.
Affliction storm on Necro Claws of the Chill, 1275 base damage for 481 mana and 20% life

You are aware that there is a wizard tome that does the same thing - giving back mana on killshot - but only for the wizard, not for the whole group? (Actually it does even less, no HP regeneration there either!)
So we have one class that excells at killshots, that benefits only itself, and then a class that is less good at killshots, that benefits its entire group. I call that a fair tradeoff, and fail to see any reason for change.

Said the biased wizard :p

Also, you do know, that in many groups, the wizard, ranger, w/e, holds their dps (or move to next target), so the necro has better chance of getting the kill shot.

So its not like this would make the near impossible, possible; it would just make it more smooth.

But keep in mind, this is not the only problem adressed. in short fights, necros basicly does next to nothing, atleast they could do a little with this.

Last edited:
As a high tier necro, this idea is bad.
The challenge of balancing dot dmg and timing is part of the class. Acquiring clicky dmg items as a high end necro is part of the way to address the shortfall of last 20 seconds of a fight.
Also, even on short fights, archaic is worthwhile.

Leechstorm is also a decent AA and the suggestion that it's not worthwhile is another bad idea. As a necro, one should be utilizing every form of lifetap available in some way or another.

While the affliction storm thing sounds neat, imo it unbalances things in favor of necros.
The last time that happened, we got shit nerfed.
Tl;dr - nope, nope,nope

-Pazms

Problem(s).

One of the best abilities the Necromancer have (imo), is their 'Strands of Life' tome.

you mean the best class tome in the game for exping hands down?

im guessing the reason necros got that tome to begin with is because they dont have enough controlled burst to 100% guarantee kill shots.

with your new AA ablility necros would be getting killshots pretty much whenever they wanted. doesnt seem to balanced to me having played necros with strands 4 in kaesora.

you mean the best class tome in the game for exping hands down?

Hahah, I guess you haven't tried grouping with an endless Mana Wizard doing 2k ish dps.

This is me playing Jonnaa from FR top, to Rohk trash, mind you, I'm not a great wizard player:
(I basicly never left full mana)

Combined: A spectral keeper on 13-08-2016 in 890sec

Total
--- DMG: 2994860 (100%) @ 3365 dps (3365 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 209174 @236dps

Jonnaa
--- DMG: 1646827 (54,99%) @ 1852 dps (1850 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 23670 @28dps

Beittil
--- DMG: 361918 (12,08%) @ 426 dps (407 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 15659 @23dps

Shuks
--- DMG: 303138 (10,12%) @ 440 dps (341 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 2418 @4dps

Safa
--- DMG: 272120 (9,09%) @ 318 dps (306 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 9343 @12dps

Dovonix
--- DMG: 247877 (8,28%) @ 279 dps (279 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 147246 @168dps

Latten
--- DMG: 77313 (2,58%) @ 89 dps (87 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 6921 @11dps

Skinnybitch
--- DMG: 73681 (2,46%) @ 106 dps (83 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 2756 @5dps

Mawu
--- DMG: 11986 (0,4%) @ 15 dps (13 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 1161 @1dps

Special: 7: 7th yr vet G: Glyph K: Kiss S: Staunch X: Slain $: Saved by DI
Produced by GamParse v1.0.3

Lol, healers running out of mana in exp groups killing mobs that fast....
Just stop your self bro, its imbarrassing.

I guess you facepalm too if I mention exp groups with out healers huh? heheh /rollsEyes

Last edited:
embarrassing

also i dont think anyone is making changes to classes anytime soon seeing the state of the game. other then nerfing wizards =DDD

Last edited:
Lol, healers running out of mana in exp groups killing mobs that fast....
Just stop your self bro, its imbarrasing.

I guess you facepalm too if I mention exp groups with out healers huh? heheh /rollsEyes
if you're pulling big then healer mana can become a factor. if your healer is a druid, this also means they can cata non-stop while also healing. it also means your rangers can nuke non-stop. it also means your beastlord/bard/mag/enchanter/sk/paladin/literally any class that uses mana can cast basically non stop. you also pulled a parse where all of the sivakian mobs are immune to the necros PBAE. that parse is about as relevant as me saying that monstrosity staff needs to be buffed because my monk can't dominate DPS at bloodfires.

yes you can do exp groups without healers easily, but its far less efficient.

if you don't understand why strands of life is one of the strongest tomes in EXP situations i really don't know what to tell you.

I'll gladly accept that challenge.

You pick the zone, a group of 5, we do the same clear for an hour? You bring what ever Necro you want to mix in with those 5, and after, I'll bring a wizard, and we see who gets the best exp.

@KK, true that, but that wont stop my creativity :) (but fair point, and I dont think Wizards should be nerfed, I think some other class' needs to be looked in to, to have somewhere near as much fun as a well working class like the Wizard.)

Last edited:
Oh and by the way, even if necro's did get Affliction Storm, I'm very sure that it wouldn't change much in an exp group, other than the necro could now more often just "take" the kill shot, rather than the group having to "give" it to her (after all, if a 1/3rd of the remaining dot damage, is enough to take the kill shot, then the mob was technically dead anyway, just needed to cook a little while longer :p ).

Also Wizard would still be superior in most exp groups anyway, as would bst and rangers most likely.
Wizards cause they are the perfect dps class, all round.
Burst? Sure. AE? Sure. Magic immune? Meh, sure...
Beastlords cause of cunning and their own dps.
Rangers cause they just do insane damage, to 1 target only though. (Same with bst).

Anyway.
We are drifting off topic.

Pasmz I don't like "item class fix's".
But I'm curious, what clicker do you use to fix these issues?

Last edited:
Oh and by the way, even if necro's did get Affliction Storm, I'm very sure that it wouldn't change much in an exp group, other than the necro could now more often just "take" the kill shot, rather than the group having to "give" it to her (after all, if a 1/3rd of the remaining dot damage, is enough to take the kill shot, then the mob was technically dead anyway, just needed to cook a little while longer :p ).

Also Wizard would still be superior in most exp groups anyway, as would bst and rangers most likely.
Wizards cause they are the perfect dps class, all round.
Burst? Sure. AE? Sure. Magic immune? Meh, sure...
Beastlords cause of cunning and their own dps.
Rangers cause they just do insane damage, to 1 target only though. (Same with bst).

Anyway.
We are drifting off topic.

I don't think anyone is disputing the wizards are the best dps class for pretty much every scenario in this game (high tier wizards that is, they blow dick early on). However, most exp groups don't roll with 3 forbidden harvest 4 wizards. This means that a majority of the classes in this game (everything but war/monk/rog/forbidden harvest 4 wizard, and even they benefit if they don't hit the killshot) benefit from the mana return from strands. The mana return from strands is high enough that it basically makes mana a non-factor, even in high intensity EXP situations. This means that classes that have a portion of their DPS gated by mana are no longer restrained, meaning they can do a lot more DPS. Or, your healer isn't the limiting factor in how much you can pull. Pulling more mobs means your overall kill/clearspeed is faster because you have more mobs getting DS/riposted down at a time, and spend less time pulling overall. Or, the shaman/druid in your group can devote more attention to DPSing. Runic 2 druids are amazing DPS in exp situations. Oh yeah, on top of providing all of this mana the tome also heals for a decent amount.

That doesn't even factor in that necro's typically do really solid DPS in exp groups when mobs aren't immune to their PBAE or you're fighting mobs with a decent amount of HP (some of the harder mobs in kaesora, elites/bloodfires in FR, citadel etc.).

Sure, strands 4 is pretty mediocre if the 3 other DPS in the group are monks/rogues/wizards, but other than that its pretty amazing.

Soul Shephard, Corona, Robes of the Prime Enchanter - not all are created equal, long cast time clickies are less effective.

Its a bit strong to call these "item class fixes." Necros are not broken, they simply come with trade offs. Strands is an amazing tome.

Not to derail, but lets talk about the truly awful necro class tome - Insidious Elements.

.... elites/bloodfires in FR, ....

28 Bloodfire's, same clear:

Combined: A bloodfire channeler on 14-08-2016 in 461sec

Total
--- DMG: 1649186 (100%) @ 3577 dps (3577 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 142159 @309dps

Jonnaa
--- DMG: 838181 (50,82%) @ 1834 dps (1818 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 10661 @27dps

Shuks
--- DMG: 240295 (14,57%) @ 535 dps (521 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 1603 @4dps

Beittil
--- DMG: 211458 (12,82%) @ 472 dps (459 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 15342 @55dps

Safa
--- DMG: 146253 (8,87%) @ 319 dps (317 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 5960 @15dps

Dovonix
--- DMG: 124623 (7,56%) @ 272 dps (270 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 103385 @225dps

Skinnybitch
--- DMG: 50911 (3,09%) @ 112 dps (110 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 2121 @5dps

Latten
--- DMG: 29332 (1,78%) @ 66 dps (64 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 2047 @8dps

Mawu
--- DMG: 8133 (0,49%) @ 19 dps (18 sdps)
--- DMG to PC: 1040 @3dps

Special: 7: 7th yr vet G: Glyph K: Kiss S: Staunch X: Slain $: Saved by DI
Produced by GamParse v1.0.3

All I see is empty talk, let's go test? It will be fun :)

the first parse I gave shuks benefit of the doubt but the 2nd parse proves that he's either a garbage player, AFK'd most of the clear, or you missed a bunch of his damage. Even if the only thing he did was cast his murk spell once every 10 seconds on 6 mobs (hitting for 1500 per mob. spell baseline is 1k~, factor in the focus effects of a t13 character and it'd hit for about 2k. im not sure about mob resists but I'm assuming bloodfires have decent resist for the sake of argument.) he'd do about 900 dps. I'm pretty sure you can do more DPS than what shuks did in that parse by only clicking monstrosity hat on 6 mobs.

that aside, nobody is arguing that wizards aren't the king of exp groups. if you compare any other DPS class to wizards in an exp group, it will make the non-wizard look like a bad dps class. however, this does not mean that necromancers/their tome is bad or underwhelming. Strands of Life is essentially forbidden harvest, but for the entire group. strands of life gives an entire group nearly unlimited mana.

if you're really insistent on having an exp showdown or whatever I could try to assemble a crew of dudes to blast out some exp but I'm really not sure what you're trying to prove.

That Strands of Life is not the best exp tome in the game.

Even if the necro wasn't afk, had IM hat and did around 2k dps him self as well (which he probably could chaining hat and fury of the swap on 4-6 targets), he wouldnt get many kill shots in a group with 3 others doing the same DPS, especially not with me on the Wizard, looking for RRR (R2 if not fire immune) targets to boost my mana, while im casting AE's or just comet on the most annoying target.

And even if the necro had Affliction Storm, it wouldn't change anything in such a high DPS group pulling many mobs, cause the necro wouldn't dot at all hehe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom