Mithril

lynnettell

Dalayan Elder
Seriously, whose brilliant idea was it to add a recommended level to this stuff? Yes, I know it's twink gear, yes, I know that it's awesome pet gear, etc.

As a young druid, I sold berries & bone chips to pay 25pp to Uboh for my first mithril scimitar. I think I got it at around level 14.

Putting a level requirement on a low level smithing combine when much better can be found in Cesspits, Adepts, expable, etc., is a smack in the face to anyone who wants to tradeskill .

You can wear plat black sapphire stuff as level 1, and get a TON of HP & mana! But smiths are... screwed.

Seriously, I try to look on the good side of most changes, and say it's good, but remove this level cap. It's NOT good for anyone.

I couldn't agree more with what Kero said. It is extremely rare for me to complain about the game in general, or the changes that go in, but this feels like an FU to smiths. It was my first tradeskill here, and I scraped and saved to buy the things to get to making mithril. That seed money helped me finish higher levels of smithing, and later to do other tradeskills. While I realize that a level 20 requirement doesn't seem to have much impact on the player who wants to use it, I see a lot of potential for this causing other problems. Less smiths will eventually mean ready availability of augs will go down the tubes. Who's going to want to bother to level up the skill? Also when someone wants a new character twinked, instead of just dropping plat on a set of mithril, they'll be in zones with level 65's farming crap so real newbie's can't get in.

I'm not certain on what the thinking is on this change. I don't pretend to know all of the things staff has to deal with, but I'm super unhappy about this. I would truly appreciate a reconsideration of mithril having a level requirement.

even back like 5 or 6 years ago thats how it was done! you where new to the game and you /ooc " where can i get some good newbie gear" everyones reply would be to save up and buy some mithril if you played your cards right you'd have 2 weps or a wep and a shield and like a bp and a legs by level 10. idc what the current level req is on it but it seems kind of silly to put a level req on ANYTHING untill the level 30's era.

level req on anything but raid gear is silly imo..... Thats part of why i loved eq so much over other mmos... u found it you could wear it and be cool and every warriro didnt have the same sword and every mage didnt have the same robe on at the same levels....

almost wish this game dropped gear boarderlands style... same models way different abilities

This was meant to go in at a much lower req but.got caught up in the wrong query. I was shooting for eight or ten but the dev team seems to think that blacksmithing would be useless without mithril twink gear.

So we are going to revert for now. I am honestly going to look into revamping blacksmithing or SoD tradeskills in general. I am also going to change weapons at very low levels to make newbies without friends who play (or who don't beg right away) have some more options.

Mithril weapons are all that made the low levels (up to 10-20, depending on the class) bearable. You start off with little to no spells/abilities and your character has the hand-eye coordination of drunk Helen Keller swinging a badger tied to a Shake Weight. The soul crushing emptiness and frustration one feels after watching their character slowly get kicked to death by a snake as they ineptly, futility, brandish their weapon in the general direction of said snake without ever hitting it is a memory that will haunt EQ player til death and beyond.

Thank you very much for the input Woldaff. I don't personally care for having mithril with a recommended level at all, but 8 is at least in the realm of reasonable. I really did like the addition of some truly newbie friendly zones such as Cesspits, and the addition of the starter items as well. There does need to be something for people who don't have access to instant twinkage. Maybe more options could be added to the expable starter items?

I don't know if it will matter that I mention it here since we're talking about helping newbies who don't know anyone, but I would like to say if I catch a real new person on I frequently give them the ability to obtain a weapon much lower than the usual listed price. Generally I try to educate them on dropped items usable by tradeskillers, and will work a trade so that it's completely within even a brand new player's ability to obtain something decent. I don't even mind giving it to them outright if I feel they're trying to learn the game and not just begging to be fully twinked out.

on Gargate alone he is 250 smithing,fletching mining, 170 brewing 80 pottery, and 2 other char's that have 250 mining "1 was just for deepmetal" I'm very interested in hearing that smithing along with other TS could be revamped. If its anything like other revamps woldoff has done recently I'm looking forward to this.

It doesn't break the game to let a level 30 or under have some decent twinks... lets be honest everyone just rushes past those levels anyhow, why make it harder?

I buy new players mithril sometimes just to help them along.

IMO all level requirements on non-raid gear should be gone.

So when I made the post...

Can we just all agree that it's a great thing that mithril weapons were nerfed? The level 1-20 game advancing too quickly is one of the few downfalls of the game.

In which I got banned for. I was really just the first person to point out a bug in the game? I guess me getting banned was worth it so long as it made this get fixed sooner. Thanks for posting saying this will be fixed.

This still hasn't been reverted. I'm sure you're asking why I'm posting again, when I barely smith anymore, but this is a HUGE hit to anyone skilling smithing (that doesn't have a high level funding them). I know I relied on people twinking their alts with weapons, armor, etc., just to get money to continue to smith (I really was super broke back then).

While the change only effected weapons, the options skilling at the 160-170 level are so much more time & money consuming (more ore to be mined, more limestone, coal) than the weapons. Smithing has *always* been that way. You do small & medium armor until you get within trivial of the weapons.

With the implementation of Cesspits, the beginner weapon, making various other drops in the game expable, there are other options. But I funded 50% of my skilling on ghost/warp by continuing to sell mithril. So while yes, you're cracking down on "twinking" alts, you're also putting a huge hit on anyone who actually cares about smithing & does it as a moneymaker. Very few people actually sell mithril weapons after they trivial them (no need to mention Haitch or the MaXbots, I said very few). It's honestly the newer players/smiths that this change really messes with (well, and the twinks, but my fisher doesn't even get armor, much less weapons).

Cracking down on affordable weapons to get at twinks on a server where BoE equipment is better than several tiers of raid gear seems ackbasswards. Seriously, spending the first dozen levels watching "you miss" messages was soul crushing and only mitigated by the fact that when a hit actually occurred it did mithril damage.

Blacksmithing would be desirable even if mithril weapons had a level requirement if there was actually any interesting and useful gear to make for level 65+ people.

I always thought it would be cool if there was even better stuff then deepmetal but it required you to mine in planar zones or high end raid and six man areas. Then certain monsters, elementals, or other creatures could drop parts and you could make cool items. Combine that with the ability to create better augs for crafted gear (sort of like the bounty augs), it would go a long way towards making crafted gear actually useful and desired.

pet armor and weapons are a field much like augs... people always need them throught their play time in the game. maybe make so affordable harder to make pet gear. pet dies gear gone gotta go get more! Economy!!!

been meaning to do a write up about why tinkering should focus on pet stuff for yeasrs but im lazy.... and the thoguht of creating ~200 items and combinations it a bit daunting =p

Back
Top Bottom