Meditating in combat?

Eldorath

Dalayan Beginner
Looking for some confirmation that these mana regen rules that were instituted a year and a half ago are still correct. I've heard people say that this wasn't the final implementation and that there is in fact some minor benefit to sitting/entering a meditative trance while in combat. Is this true or not?

Heres the original text from April 2006:

Some changes we were testing on test server went in prematurely with fixes today. As a result, we will be leaving them there so they can be live-tested for balance. The changes are as follows:

1) You can no longer meditate in combat. In combat is defined as being on the aggro list of an NPC that is not mesmerized.
2) Meditate, when it is available, is MUCH MUCH faster.
3) There are no more "fleeting" mana/hp regen caps. The caps are at 30 mana regen from spells, 20 mana regen from items, and 40 hp regen from items.
4) Melee skill caps for int/wis caster classes have been severely increased.

In other words, there are is no longer ANY benefit to sitting on your ass in combat. If you want to be the most efficent, you should be meleeing or doing other things at all times. The intention of this change is to reduce downtime without unbalancing encounters and just making the game more fun in general, especially for healing classes who can now be an active part of their group instead of just sitting down and occasionally healing.

These changes will either be confirmed or rolled back on Wednesday.

I'm not 100% sure but I think they tweaked the entire system so that you'll can actually meditate in combat if you don't do anything to the mob for 30 seconds. As soon as you enter the mediative trance it'll grant some lessened benefit to your mana regen but as I said I might remember that one wrong.

i thought it was this:

combat meditation = previous normal meditation
out of combat meditation = super mega fast regen
out of combat meditation = whenever you enter the meditative trance

You can enter a meditative trance in combat or out. You will get significantly faster mana recovery while being both in a meditative trance and out of combat. You can not enter a meditative trance until 30seconds after you cast your last spell. Sitting mana regen rate is the same as standing when you are not in a meditative trance.

This message has been brought to you by the Battle Druids Coalition.

Maybe meditation doesnt work in combat, but other forms of mana regen do. like KEI/JB or FT items and special elemental forms...

Tryfaen said:
i thought it was this:

combat meditation = previous normal meditation
out of combat meditation = super mega fast regen
out of combat meditation = whenever you enter the meditative trance

No.

combat meditation = slower than before
out of combat = much faster than before

You're always only meditating when you enter the trance.

You cannot enter a trance for 30 seconds after casting a spell (any spell). Being in combat does not affect when you enter the trance, only the med rate when you're in it.

Wiz said:
You cannot enter a trance for 30 seconds after casting a spell (any spell). Being in combat does not affect when you enter the trance, only the med rate when you're in it.
From what I can tell, this is not true for self only spells, even in combat.
Defnitly not true if you cast a selfbuff & sit when you didn't do any offensive action in the last 30 sec and are not in combat.

i don't understand how it works at all

sometimes i can nuke/dot/something and sit right down and will not go into a trance forever

but i can cast, sit down, wait a few seconds, stand up and sit right back down and go right into a trance.

a lot of the time, even out of combat, if my shaman uses cann5 and sits right down, it tales awhile to go into a trance

Goatface said:
i don't understand how it works at all

sometimes i can nuke/dot/something and sit right down and will not go into a trance forever

but i can cast, sit down, wait a few seconds, stand up and sit right back down and go right into a trance.

a lot of the time, even out of combat, if my shaman uses cann5 and sits right down, it tales awhile to go into a trance

The message is bugged at times. It sometimes tells you that you've entered a trance right after you died with DF on which is definitely not true. As far as I know it's 30 seconds either way.

Manluas said:
The message is bugged at times. It sometimes tells you that you've entered a trance right after you died with DF on which is definitely not true. As far as I know it's 30 seconds either way.
Well... if it took you more than 30 seconds to zone, then you should enter the trance within a tick (6 seconds) of sitting down after arriving at your bind point. You are meditating, and you can gain skill at Meditate during this time, but the huge negative mana regen caused by Death Fatigue is large enough to prevent you from having positive aggregate mana regen.

It starts counting from when you enter a zone, no? I don't think the timer carries over zoning.
It'll also show up if you just use a clicky and immediately sit down with DF.

Combat medding can still be fast.

If you wait 30 seconds until you get the "You entered meditative trance" shit you gain mana.
Then sitting/standing repeatedly spamming that "You entered meditative trance" is actually more mana regen than just staying sitting.

On my necro I was getting about 1% mana every time that message fired off. I could make that message fire off 6-8x every 10 seconds. Only sitting down for 10 seconds gave me roughly 3-4% mana.

Prob a bug, who the fuck knows

Back
Top Bottom