Make Dalaya Great Again

Grinkles

Developer
Staff member
WARNING: Long post!
For a TL;DR rundown,
skim the green text below.

Disclaimer: I'm deliberately posting this in the "wrong" subforum (i.e. not Suggestions & Requests) because it applies to a bigger discussion about the state of the server and its direction.

In 2014, a snarky forum user thought this was funny. Compare that image to this recent one taken during the wee hours of the morning:

SoD%20Population%20%202017%20-%201_zpsntzuidao.jpg

Purely for reference, here is a screenshot of the most popular EQEmu servers taken at the same time:

SoD%20Population%20%202017%20-%202_zpsjaji4uon.jpg

Shards of Dalaya has been in gradual decline for many years, but 2016 was especially hard on the server. The bug-riddled client upgrade turned veterans and newcomers away in droves like never before. Much of the staff fell silent and withdrew from view. Updates to the homepage grew fewer and farther apart than ever before in server history, giving the impression that Dalaya had become a ghost town.

To be fair, our server is a reimagined version of an emulated version of an outdated version of a fading MMO that was released in the 90s. That’s quite a stretch! That also means this server will likely never achieve the cushy player count of Project 1999, which capitalizes on nostalgia, familiarity, and a predetermined server direction to sustain its numbers. Nevertheless, SoD’s unique content and gameplay remain top-notch, and the potential for adventure and enjoyment is still here – if only the server could achieve some kind of turnaround.

I want to believe such a turnaround is still possible. The number one deterrent for most players is, of course, the awful client. Sometimes you can’t form groups whatsoever in a zone. Or you spend thirty minutes trying in vain to zone into Deepshade before giving up in frustration and noping out of the game. Or you unwittingly destroy your weapon by attempting to use the bandolier. Most of these issues that came with 2.5 are deep-seated, code-heavy problems.

But putting the client bugs aside, there are many measures that could be undertaken at any given time to make the server more accessible, more user-friendly, and more likely to retain incoming players. Many of these measures can be implemented with minimal to no coding and would, if nothing else, boost morale and give a fresh coat of paint to the game.

To that end, here’s what I jokingly call “Make Dalaya Great Again” – a starter list of suggestions and ideas, some broad and some narrow, aimed at sprucing up the game without bogging the staff down in lots of code:

Make%20Dalaya%20Great%20Again_zpsyyk5wkda.jpg

========== MAKE DALAYA GREAT AGAIN ==========

Policy

Artwork
  • Patch in fresh SoD artwork for the login process and loading screen for the first time since 2010.
    • I shared my own custom artwork in this thread, but I'm sure other players could do better.
    • If the staff are feeling ambitious, this could even be run as a contest for fame points, with the playerbase voting on which new artwork should go into the game.

New Content
  • Add a banker, a general goods merchant, and an exit to any deity plane that lacks them.
    • Marlow's Plane of Nightmare, for example, gets all of these in a single, convenient place, while others (e.g. Shojar's Plane of Frost) have none.
    • This addition is no substitute for fully-fledged deity augment quests (which are very time-consuming and code-heavy), but it would add fresh appeal to the less popular gods and would work toward diminishing the sense that the deity side of SoD is still "under construction" after all these years.
    • If need be, players would likely be eager to suggest names, /loc placements, and even /hail text for such NPCs.

Old Content
  • Make all city bankers invulnerable (or at least level 50+).
    • Banking in this game is done entirely through mouse clicks, and a single misclicked Taunt or /pet attack hotbutton can aggro and even kill a banker, sometimes leading to the loss of a hard-earned gate neck.
      • All it takes is one unfortunate riposte or one round from a well-meaning pet to kill most bankers!
    • This very simple change can save a player hours of discouraging faction repair duty.
  • Greatly reduce the amount of combines between Fletching skillups to stimulate Dalaya’s arrow economy, which has been decidedly slim (or even nonexistent for months at a time) since even before the client upgrade.
    • Rangers deserve equal consideration among the classes when players are making a new character, but the class’s reliance on player-made arrows for “big boy” DPS is a major deterrent, given the daunting number of combines required for just a single gain in Fletching skill and the resulting rarity of devoted arrow sellers.
      • For example, a player at 230 skill making nothing but Bundles of Superb Varnished Arrows would need to do a whopping 2,800 mouse clicks within his inventory and Fletching Kit before he will advance to 231 skill, and this doesn’t even account for misclicks, the need to micromanage inventory space along the way, or the many clicks involved in purchasing ingredients from the Fletching merchant!
  • Double or even triple the drop rate on global loot (a.k.a. “world drops”).
    • Some exp sessions can go a couple hours without a single world drop being seen. This is especially true of the early game, in which levels come quickly with fewer kills and slower kill rates. The result is that many of the low-level world drops are virtually never seen due to the way level dictates which world drops are eligible to drop off a given kill.
    • Frankly, many of these drops are novelties or, at best, supplemental gear that will outgrow its usefulness even among true newbies once they can afford entry-level buyable gear. What harm can come of increasing the visibility of these rarely seen items?
  • Roll back and/or tone down the unsightly fog in zones where it continues to be a problem.
    • Believe it or not, this is doable with nothing more than up to four simple GM commands, including /cmd zsky, /cmd zcolor, /cmd zclip, and /cmd zsave. No coding necessary, and the change happens instantaneously without the need to patch anything!
    • The new client is capable of greater draw distances than the old one, but we've unfortunately been saddled with really awful default fog/sky settings in many zones. The Big S began to roll back the fog in some zones (most notably North Karana) in early 2016, but many zones could still use a facelift in this regard.
    • Players would be eager to chime in with zone names if prodded by the staff, seeing as some zones are just about unusable in their current state (such as Haegra Malath B, which feels like playing an early Silent Hill title!).
    • To put the awfulness of our zones into perspective, here's what we see in Everfrost:
Bad%20SoD%20Sky%201_zpskrct3tsq.jpg
  • And here's what we could see if a staff member simply zoned into Permafrost and typed /cmd zsky 0, /cmd zcolor 225 225 255, /cmd zclip 200 5000, and /cmd zsave:
Bad%20SoD%20Sky%202_zpssfnwm5ad.jpg
  • For a second example, here's what we see in East Karana:
Bad%20SoD%20Sky%203_zpsmj4yotet.jpg
  • And here's what we could see if a staff member typed /cmd zclip 200 10000 and /cmd zsave in the zone:
Bad%20SoD%20Sky%204_zpsaejenerp.jpg

Miscellaneous
  • Add all new loading bar gag messages and, if possible, remove any holdovers from Live.
    • “Removing Dev-Taryth’s patience…” and similar messages immediately remind the player he's entering a whole new sandbox compared to the plethora of servers that simply imitate the Live game, and the possibilities for new gag messages are endless.
    • If the staff are feeling ambitious, these messages could be drawn from the playerbase for fame points.

==========

I freely admit that this post, like many of mine, is obscenely long. I also have a feeling that most of you could easily type out just as many words about your own frustration with the state of the game and ideas about what could save it. Maybe I'm taking the wrong approach, or maybe some of my ideas are misplaced. If that's the case, I'd like to hear from anyone who wants to jump in.

At any rate, my hope with this thread is twofold:
  1. To persuade any remaining Powers That Be that there’s still time to save Shards of Dalaya, and
  2. To demonstrate that a number of approaches can be explored to "Make Dalaya Great Again" beyond wading waist-deep through bugs in the 2.5 code. :)
Some things I didn't address that might also be worth considering include:
And lastly, some may notice that I failed to bring up one possibility that many players likely regard as a no-brainer in this situation — an account drive! While an account drive wouldn't hurt, I wanted to address small-scale possibilities. I'm uncertain that anyone at the helm currently has the enthusiasm and resources required to mount something so ambitious. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I think it's more practical to take a different approach for the time being....

Last edited:
I've had a few thoughts in mind that may get some criticism but should be taken with an open mind:

• Buffs remain timeless in city zones such as Athica, Newport, Sadri, etc. People are caught looking for groups eternally as it is, and to take an extra 15-20 minutes to buff once you finally find some people to actually group with isn't a great way to start.
  • Economy needs some sort of lift. I've seen the same people on listsold with the same items for months now. Tomes rarely ever sell unless they're being tokened for Refuge augs or class tomes. Even just boosting the vendor price on most items would probably prove beneficial to lower players trying to save up for a charm or gear. Items like Sanctuary which drops in deep OG doesn't even sell for 1k to a vendor. Obviously 1.2m plat charm is a huge feat for anybody to reach, but some newer players might get deterred even from a 60k charm or 225k. Maybe setting tome prices based on rank, such as Tome 1s sell for 1500, Tome 2s sell for 3000, and Class Tomes in a similar fashion. There's gotta be a way to make money off of once-valuable loot if no player is buying it.
  • Will edit this as I start to recall some past thoughts.

• Greatly simplify and relax the draconian naming policy.
I'd like to point out here that the last nameflag happened in June 2016, and the one before in November 2015. (Ifoch Urbutt? Really? That one deffo needed flagged!)
So is naming policy really that bad any more?

I'd like to point out here that the last nameflag happened in June 2016, and the one before in November 2015. (Ifoch Urbutt? Really? That one deffo needed flagged!)

I think it would be better if the policy reflected what happened in game more accurately. The policy sounds really severe from an outside perspective and people on the forums wouldn't know that in reality the policy is not that bad. If I had read the policy I would have considered not playing because it seems so harsh the way it is written.

Who is running SoD?
What is the future of the server from a staffing point of view? (DEV and GM)
How many donations are still being received and where is it going?
What can the devoted SoD player do to help the state of the server and get things moving at a proper pace?
Why is the current staff being so blatantly numb to the state of Sod 2.5 affairs?

Complete lies! He actually wants to increase the fog in every zone and extend stricter naming regulations to existing characters!

...give this man a key to the server already.

giphy.gif

Art: Yes it's refreshing to have updated, but it does nothing to maintain new players- as the old art is still new to them anyways..

Fletching: I have a skill of 206, I don't think I mind the clicking/time it takes to skill up as I DO mind how much inventory it takes up. As of yesterday I ran out of my superb arrows I used to buy from Woldone, who quit playing, and I have to make my own, which I am discouraged doing because I lack inventory space. I have so many quest items/gear that I'll end up having to spend 20-30minutes at the bank organizing bags around so I can start up my fletching and then hope a raid isn't called and takes me longer to stop what im doing, switch bags around again- and then I'm stuck with a bunch of budles I haven't the time to combine. Not to mention, with being a father and working 55+ hours a week, when I DO play- I want to work on my vah and other quests, not sit at an npc all night :\ I'd rather spend my charm fund money on a quiver so I can work on vah or raid..

Fishing: I have a skill of 250 and like +8 in items but I've only fished up one ED map in my life.. If the maps were a lot more popular the fresh, and existing, players might just have the proper motivation to farm them. This will boost up economy for the fresh players and their charm funds, the older community will have greater chances to be able to stock up on maps and farm them for their ED Vah sword, while giving the lower tier players a chance to be invited to come in and scoop up rotting loots, which would keep them invested/motivated to continue playing. Or maybe tomes could be implimented for tradeskills. all or some tradeskills, I don't know. For fishing you could have a tome for better chances at maps and/or a tome like rangers' endless quiver, so you can keep your bait and not burn through it as much (extremely minor I know, just a thought)

GM events: Oh man.. I remember when I was low tier, I'd always attempt to stop what I'm doing and find the hidden treasure in zones! My eyes are already tingling again!! My main goal was to stock up fame for the custom title or maybe obtain the lucky charm. Standing in line rolling the dice, getting booted to an awful zone- such memories !! SoD should start up an account drive, and at that time make the staff pressence known by hosting lots of GM events and handing out a lot of fame and a few charms. The charms are good, yes- but they won't last you long, soon your guild will require you to upgrade it. Money burns a hole in my pocket, not sure about others.. So if I were a fresh player and got that charm, I'd have extra money and be tempted to spend it on twink alt gear, or on tomes for my main- both of which need attention for the existing players. As Emzur said above, there are so many player vendors that have had the same gear and tomes up for sale for the longest time.. Maybe this might help??

Misc Bugs: Is there a way to make all clients boot up with "/log off" like it used to be ? It amazes me that my 16gm ram / 8gb gpu computer gets choppy at times. If i were a fresh player and didn't know I had to manually turn log off, it'd probably deter me from wanting to log in AS often, prioritizing other games over SoD and eventually resulting in an uninstall. Of course this scenario could be said for many of the bugs, I just thought maybe this would be easier to fix than other bugs. The fog scared me, for this reason, too.. I'd hate for something so tiny like fog and spider webs to cause low FPS.

Rules: Yeah, when I first started playing, I was literally affraid to talk in /ooc after seeing people getting jailed and banned for talking and/or 3boxing. I remember being in sorcers lab and seeing like 9 people get banned back to back.. Freakin scary lol.. I was lvl46 when my name was underscored and I didn't even know what it meant till I was 65, GM's didn't give two shits about me being ignorant of the rule and had no mercy, because I "should've read the rules before playing". In my eyes, I was like " Hello, it's a video game- why the hell do I HAVE to read rules? Just be curtious to others and treat people the way you want to be treated" But that was several years ago and I haven't seen GM's go on rampages banning and jailing people in a LONG time, so that part isn't an issue- but have a heart and show some mercy, especially if you know the player is new.

The naming policy, I do thoroughly enjoy seeing some of the creative, inappropriate names, on fomelo- as long as the character isn't being played, but that may encourage others to take advantage of things and be blunt about it so the GM's have been pretty good about it so far, but again- if it is the persons main show some mercy, allow a single name change upon approval directly from a GM. IMO.. (unless it's like you listed above , Nazi etc, that shit isn't cute) Vagpounder- that's freakin hilarious, I suggested Moyst Vagpounder instead but someone already used Moyst- but they did it just to reserve the name, not play the character which is cool IMO- but again, I can see that being a bad influence on others to be obvious about it..

I think we'd all love for charms to be more inexpensive but hopefully with getting fresh players in the game to buy gear we farm will prevent us from having to vendor items so we can make more money and raise those charm funds again.

Another zone that comes to my mind would be cesspits the fog there is really bad

Cesspits.png

in this picture Tadin is in the doorway leading the the first mobs in the zone. In first person view it is a bit better but you still can't see to the other side of the room.

I think we'd all love for charms to be more inexpensive but hopefully with getting fresh players in the game to buy gear we farm will prevent us from having to vendor items so we can make more money and raise those charm funds again.

nah they should make charms more expensive, you can farm a supreme in a month if you're trying with the vendor prices being increased since 2.5. also fresh players are not going to be buying those boes because they sell for way to much to the vendor, aint nobody got time to farm 9k for some blazing firebeads.

Buffs remain timeless in city zones such as Athica, Newport, Sadri, etc. People are caught looking for groups eternally as it is, and to take an extra 15-20 minutes to buff once you finally find some people to actually group with isn't a great way to start.
I was going to mention this initially until I realized the dense amount of coding it would most likely entail. It sounds easy enough to suggest a dev hijack the "buff timer suspension" mechanic from Plane of Knowledge or Guildhall and paste it into hub zones like Athica, Newport, and Sadri Malath, but I would wager it's much more complicated than that. If there's one thing Taryth, Rymy, & Co. have shown us outsiders here on the forums, it's that nothing is ever simple and clean when it comes to moving things around under the hood of this game. :p Believe me, though, I'd love suspended buff timers as much as anyone else!

Marthog nails it with his reply a few posts up. If the bulk of the naming policy hasn't applied for some time, the official rules ought to be updated in the interests of brevity, if nothing else.

Thanks for bringing the fog up, Grinkles. Which other zones need that changed?
Haegra Malath A's sky is a real eyesore. I think it'd be best to just do /cmd zsky 1 and /cmd zclip 200 3000 or something along those lines. Haegra Malath B is by far the worst in the game, with enemies able to aggro you from beyond the fog simply because you can't see more than about 5 feet in front of your character! I was going to take screenshots for that one, but I'm apparently no longer able to load into that zone for some reason.

Draist (@Swight) is right about Cesspits. It looks like a sky (/cmd zsky 1) might be enabled for this zone for some reason, when I'm pretty sure it shouldn't have one at all. A gloomier atmosphere closer to pre-2.5 would probably be achieved simply by rolling the clip plane out just a bit (/cmd zclip 200 600 or so) or maybe turning off the sky (if one is enabled) and going for a dark /cmd zcolor (perhaps 10 0 10 or something along those lines).

Unfortunately, I just heard from @tinkaa in game that /cmd zsave is disabled for some unknown reason, and while she was able to roll the awful fog of Everfrost way back (and even apparently made the sky an awful pink for laughs!), the change will likely only last until the zone connects. :( Here's a screenshot to prove it can work here:

Less%20Fog%20in%20Everfrost_zpsdakamgvh.jpg

If it'd help, I could make the rounds through most zones to take notes on any sky and fog abnormalities, but without /cmd zsave working, I suppose it'd be fruitless...

I'll try to reply to more of you in this thread later on. :)

The biggest turnoff for SoD is bugs IMO. Some have been around since I started, like monks which you group and level with eating xp when they FD. This is incredibly awful for anyone playing a monk that isn't tanking because they will take agro and then everyone gets xp penalty when the FD it back on the tank.

There are a number of people who play on this server who can code, have done bug fixes for games, write software, etc who would potentially fix these issues. However the staff seems overly paranoid and would rather keep the bugs than allow people to see the code. If they just opened things up and let people help the situation would likely be a lot better.

All of these are great suggestions, but if core game mechanics like groups still don't function properly it will be difficult for anyone to have a smooth and enjoyable gameplay experience. Make Dalaya Great Again

The biggest turnoff for SoD is bugs IMO.
...if core game mechanics like groups still don't function properly it will be difficult for anyone to have a smooth and enjoyable gameplay experience.
I think just about every player would agree with these statements. However, fixes to the client have been so few and so far between since December of 2015. While Rymy has been chipping away at the pesky bugs as best he can, I imagine burnout sets in quickly whenever he puts on his bugfixing gloves. Group and raid bugs are most definitely the biggest deterrent for old and new players alike, but other improvements can be made in the meantime if anyone on the staff is looking to work on something less brain-draining.

Any updates to the game would be preferable to the blackout that spanned most of 2016.

Make Dalaya Great Again
You heard it here first, folks. He's Lowako and he approves this message. :cool:

Lowako_zpsobfw9xo7.jpg

2 things.

1. Fix current raid, group, character bugs

2. Add new content (Upper thaz is just 1 good weekend away...) Iksith 2.0.... Make any new raid zone, anything in this department would attract a lot of older players back, and free up some of the current "high tier" content so that younger characters can progress into them. Everyone is just at a stalemate atm, and every year some new guild comes around and then gets stuck in T11 because their is just no monsters to kill above that on there raid nights (this used to be T9, TOT/Old Thaz, before iksith 1.0 was released)

If these two things happen, sky's the limit.

I feel like some people are missing the point of this post. IMO the point of this post is to discuss ways to help out the game that are not related to the harder bugs to fix. We all know the major problems and the staff is aware of them too and they are doing what they can. The point here is to discuss some of the smaller things that devs that aren't coding gurus can tackle to help out the server and improve the experience in the meantime.

Yes its that bad, i have had a few odd names banned and it didn't make sense, Urahara and Shaolong and the latter one was banned because bars was jealous and gm power.

Revert sod back to the old client and do an account drive, MAYBE just MAYBE will sod see 100+ pop again.

I feel like some people are missing the point of this post. IMO the point of this post is to discuss ways to help out the game that are not related to the harder bugs to fix. We all know the major problems and the staff is aware of them too and they are doing what they can. The point here is to discuss some of the smaller things that devs that aren't coding gurus can tackle to help out the server and improve the experience in the meantime.

Sure maybe some of these things would be nice, but honestly 90% of the population won't notice these small tweeks (myself included likely). Honestly when things happen and the major problems don't get flushed out (see ranger augments) it's almost insulting... While maybe they can't code to solve the problem, perhaps they can still help fix the problem with testing and support. Maybe I'm oblivious to how these things really work, but that's just the way I feel.

Last edited:
Thanks for bringing the fog up, Grinkles. Which other zones need that changed?

It feels like there are a lot of these. Rivervale and Whisperling are a couple off the top of my head.

On a semi-related note, being underwater in Sea of Swords (and maybe storms too, idr) was similarly odd. I'd basically have to target myself and swim to the ring to tell if I was at or near the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom