Magicians

Yusuke

Dalayan Adventurer
I would like to start a discussion about Magicians and welcome all my Mod Rod casting companions, and others (I am looking at you enchanters) who have grouped with them some.

My main concern is DPS on a mage and a few other things. This is not a QQ post about mages being bad dps like beastlords (actually bad dps). Mage dps is fine under optimal conditions where the class pet is attacking, the swarm pets are out and not dying to aoes, and the mage is able to use both rains. However, it is uncommon to find these favourable conditions in most high tier fights and I am not asking that we be allowed to do 100% of our max damagae 24/7 either.

First up, mob movement. Since our rains are fixed and land where they were initially cast if the mob moves our mana and dps has just been wasted. At first, I wrote up various scenarios on how this makes us lose dps frequently but the post just got longer. Instead, I will mention two situations. One, where the mob itself, due to a fight mechanic,is constantly on the move and the second, where the fight has to be done so close that the rains hit the caster as well. Wizards, necros, and enchanters (AOD/Somantic Bond) do not have any issues with mob movement and not nearly as much trouble with positioning versus mobs. I would mention Rangers (I guess I just did) but I'll stick to comparison between pure casters.

Thoughts: I doubt anything could/would be done about rains being fixed and landing in the original spot. But, it is a matter of fact that Mages are pretty good at raining down on their foes without ever hurting their allies. Can we have mages not /cut wrist every time they are in close range with rains going...?

Question of curiosity: Why, as a game mechanic, do mages have to be hit with their own rains? What's the purpose? They do not get hit by rains from other mages if multiple in groups/raids.

Second up, enchanter mez (bards and necros go in this category). Lets assume mob movement isn't a problem. The second thing massively decreasing our dps is the need for enchanter mez. The mechanics of higher tier fights go against what the mage class is designed for. Our main chunk of dps comes from the relic and archaic rains. However, a lot of fights need crowd control and it's just not safe to use rains. This happens often enough to the point of being aggravating. The situation can turn ugly if the mage is already using rains and a new mob shows up that wasn't expected and now it's a ping pong fight between Mez/Rain. If there is a mess on hand and mobs need to be burned down one at a time, mages are stuck doing Bladewind/Elemental Barrage.

Thoughts: Since the current trend is to solve all our problems with stances, how about stances that allow us to switch between single target rains/double target rains/cough triple target rains cough. Single target rains will open up a whole new world for us and put mages and enchanters on good terms. If mages are to forever /cut wrist with their own rains than at least this will help alleviate that problem some times. Note that this stance should make spells cost less mana than it currently does with two rains going. Wizards get mana back on kill shots, necros give mana to whole group on kill shots, and enchanters have another mana pool to dip into. We just have a tiny bit of aoe conversion from elemental form so saving some mana here would be nice. Now, rains only hit two targets ever. Pretty choosy rains eh? To be honest, I am throwing the triple target rain stance idea out there because I have always disliked rains just hitting 2 targets. At a little bit higher mana cost, I wouldn't mind being able to hit 3 targets with rains.

Third, mages are not a burn class aside from some situational clickies. We have 2 settings - relic/archaic rains which are slow casting and Bladewind/Elemental Barrage for some meh single target dps. Mages tend to avoid casting single target nukes whenever possible because rains are more efficient for mana vs. dps. If mages have any sort of "burn" ability, I would have to say that it would involve our swarm pets, the AA and the Runic 1, both of which are nearly wiped out to higher tier fights within seconds. Did I mention you cannot cast runic 1 if there is any mezzing going on because that swarm pet rains if multiple targets are on agro list? When you combine the problems listed above with the slow casting of mage spells, you have a not so fun time with an otherwise fun class.

Thoughts: Please make swarm pets not die to AE damage that is everywhere these days. I can understand class pets are beefier and can take some damage but help us with the swarm pets.

Fourth, we have the slowest recovery time after a death and it is much more noticeable during raids and 6mans. It leaves the rest of group or raid waiting on magicians. This is primarily due to summoning and equipping the pet(s). As a mage, a portion of our dps comes out of the class pet and it is a must for us to get them ready. This is not the biggest issue I have but it certainly adds to the annoyance and that quality of sod life we are trying to achieve.

Thoughts: For all pet classes, pets get summoned with our strongest pet related equipment spells and buffs. A /cm addspell ID # for the spells we want the pet to automatically be summoned with.

Lastly, there are very few exceptions where a group/raid will say hm, a mage would be better for this fight than a wizard, enchanter, necro, melee, etc etc. Our stacking isn't as great as the other classes due to the problems I have discussed. We are not in need of any major over hauls, far from it. But if we mages could get some tweaks here and there that would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the reading.

/Yusuke

Doing a lot of T10/11 stuff there are lot of fights where I think: "For this fight SOANDSO class would be really amazing!". Sometimes that class is melee dps (rogs/monks), sometimes it's necros, but almost all the time the really amazing class is wizards/rangers/enchanters. But there are almost no fights at least in the T10/11 zone that I can think of that I think: "For this fight, MAGES would be really amazing!".

Like Yusuke said, in optimal dps situations (where swarm pets don't die and rains are OK) mages are very competitive and can hold their own. But anytime these conditions are not optimal (or quick burst for targeted adds is required), any other dps class fills their role better. That's my biggest complaints with mages.

I think mages are in a pretty interesting place. There are basically 5 tiers of mages:
1) Pre relics - they stack up about where they should be. Pet is weak but that's to be expected.
2) relics/Archaic - at first we start great, the relic pet is awesome at first and the increased damage is nice. Mages do not scale up well throughout the tiers.
3) Post-relic pre-runic - just terrible. There is about 2 or 3 tiers where its almost better to bring ANY other class. All that the mage brings is mod rods.
4) runic mages - very good single target better for double targets. Great for exp, but lackluster on raids. Runic pet still leaves a lot to be desired. Not much dps gain but pretty neat and flavorful mechanics.
5) high end all class books most dps opus - Good dps, fairly easily sustained. Pet still lacking.

Solutions:
1) buff pet. Make them survive better. Make them do more dps. The WOP class book helps with this, but even with the books I think the pets should do significantly more dps. Probably in the 300-500 additional optimal dps range. BL pets should not out DPS mage pets. I have a bunh of parses with mage pet on a low ac/defensive mob parsing between 330 dps to 450 dps.
for instance:

Beastlord pets:
Rexx + pets
--- DMG: 317106 (5.02%) @ 698 dps (642 sdps)

Voltron + pets
--- DMG: 237506 (3.76%) @ 591 dps (481 sdps)

Mage pet same fight different time:

Smaug
DMG: 217292 (3.86%) @ 345 dps (343 sdps)

2) somewhere between archaic and runic add a new fire rain. I would say somewhere in line with more dmg and about same or similar efficiency to archaic. I think something like 1500 dmg costing 650mana.
3) Add a new quick fire DD to replace scars of sigil. Again in the post archaic to runic range. I think something in the range of 2000 damage 500 mana 2 second cast and 2 second cooldown. Something to twist in between rains, but cannot chain spam like blazewind.

i think mages should get an unresistable rain and/or a large -resist adjust on their fire rain. So many mobs are fire immune/highly resistant that they get fucked on a lot a fights. Wizards and Necros suffer from this less due to their high variety of elemental types, large -resist adjust for necros, and in the case of wizards, an unresistable nuke.

Beastlord pets:
Rexx + pets

Voltron + pets
--- DMG: 237506 (3.76%) @ 591 dps (481 sdps)

Mage pet same fight different time:

Smaug
DMG: 217292 (3.86%) @ 345 dps (343 sdps)
I agree with this post, except the parse of those BST pets is with broken mimic stance, allowing the pets to copy runic 1 and inflating their DPS to huge numbers

Question of curiosity: Why, as a game mechanic, do mages have to be hit with their own rains? What's the purpose? They do not get hit by rains from other mages if multiple in groups/raids.
Thoughts: Please make swarm pets not die to AE damage that is everywhere these days. I can understand class pets are beefier and can take some damage but help us with the swarm pets.
Fourth, we have the slowest recovery time after a death and it is much more noticeable during raids and 6mans. It leaves the rest of group or raid waiting on magicians. This is primarily due to summoning and equipping the pet(s). As a mage, a portion of our dps comes out of the class pet and it is a must for us to get them ready. This is not the biggest issue I have but it certainly adds to the annoyance and that quality of sod life we are trying to achieve.

I see zero reason why all rains/targeted aoes couldn't function like the Paladin stun- as long as there are enough valid targets it will not hit the caster. If you want to rain a single target then you need to back up. This seems like it balances out pretty well and also creates some hilarious situations where a mob dies just before a spell lands. It requires more attention and makes gameplay less annoying while also less predictable. Win, win, win.

Swarm pets getting some serious innate spell dodge (like Bards have, but much higher chance), I'm talking 50%, would improve life for Mages and others who could use it. Here again, I'm not seeing this breaking the game or step on anyone's toes or make everyone suddenly want to be a Mage.

Pet recovery is hell of lame. Something needs to be done. Live had pet storing. A little quest to get a spell that consolidate mage summons into one cast might be easier. Honestly I dunno, but something really should change.

3) Add a new quick fire DD to replace scars of sigil. Again in the post archaic to runic range. I think something in the range of 2000 damage 500 mana 2 second cast and 2 second cooldown. Something to twist in between rains, but cannot chain spam like blazewind.

Yes, useful spells from the midlevels getting endgame upgrades sure would be a nice thing to see [he said not at all thinking of Druids].

Beastlords then Rogues and now Mages? What's the next most sorry class? Is it Druids? Is it?

Yes, I play a druid as well and I would agree. But this thread is not priest related. =P

...enchanters (AOD/Somantic Bond) do not have any issues with mob movement.

Actually, when I mimic a rain, it casts exactly as it would for a mage - thus I can hurt myself from my AOD rains, and if the mob moves, the rain spell stands still just as it does for the original caster...

AOD has some other peculiarities as well. For instance, if someone wants to kill their enchanter, all they have to do is target me while I cast AOD on them. On their end, I'll be protected from the spell, but on my end, it will go off resulting in me nuking myself.

if someone wants to kill their enchanter, all they have to do is target me while I cast AOD on them. On their end, I'll be protected from the spell, but on my end, it will go off resulting in me nuking myself.

Omg, my chanters are so f---ed now.

Beastlord pets:
Rexx + pets
TO BE FAIR... This was with sovereign clicky going, mage rod, 2 pet curses, and rank 3 bounty hammers + mimic'd swarms...

Also don't forget, this is the fix for our class, our pet literally is half our DPS in most cases now.

Pointing out another small nuisance. If there are two mobs for rain to hit and if even one of them has a pet the rain will automatically hit the pet...every time. Could it be made so that rains hit the mobs first and hit the pets only if that is all that remains as the second target for rain or unless specifically targeted.

From the perspective of a non-expert on mages, who is leading content in the T10-11 range, I would be happy bringing a mage (or even 2!) in the raid for nearly all encounters if the following happened:

1)
Thoughts: Since the current trend is to solve all our problems with stances, how about stances that allow us to switch between single target rains/double target rains
I like this idea, and it's something that actually requires thinking which would make the class more fun to play.

2)
Definitely agree. For so many T10-11 stuff there's a strong emphasis on focused killing of adds with low hp quickly. This is something that mages really lack on (and tangent, why wizards/rangers are so coveted). If mages had some option (even if it's mana inefficient) to burst / kill stuff quickly, that would help a lot.

3) Pet silks summons silks for EVERY pet on the raid. What's the point of summoning this on people or having a 6 second recharge.. who wants give up 7 inventory slots to give to hand to a pet individually... just make it a raid spell and save the mages at least a little time.

(And to be useful on 6-mans)
4) Mages can summon a ring with 1 charge of FD (must equip), but also drains all of your mana/stamina on use. The ring poofs if you leave the zone/group as the mage in any way, death/zone etc.

3) Pet silks summons silks for EVERY pet on the raid. What's the point of summoning this on people or having a 6 second recharge.. who wants give up 7 inventory slots to give to hand to a pet individually... just make it a raid spell and save the mages at least a little time.
inb4 3000 mana out of combat only spell

Yea, I maybe take back (3) because of the oversight of summoning these for a group or a single fallen pet. I was just mad at Yusuke for never summoning Jibobtik silks :mad:

Pointing out another small nuisance. If there are two mobs for rain to hit and if even one of them has a pet the rain will automatically hit the pet...every time. Could it be made so that rains hit the mobs first and hit the pets only if that is all that remains as the second target for rain or unless specifically targeted.

While I'm not going to log on and test this. Try ranging them all, and picking one without a pet first. Used to be you would only get aggro on your actual target (unless there was a pet) if you weren't getting proximity aggro, allowing you to pick and choose. So you would just start your 2nd rain on the other target you wished to hit. You end up sacrificing the 2nd blast of the first wave of the first rain though. This also allowed some target management during heavy mezzing situations way back. Unless there have been heavy changes to that, it still should work.

Cross your fingers it processes the one you have aggro on, + the main mob with a pet, rather than the mob and a pet. If so it's kind of a shitty workaround, but it's a workaround.

Would pet silks replace armor already on a pet ? (thinking Eflow armor for example) ? If so raidwide silks might be a problem. Otherwise it's kekeable

Would it really be so far out of the box it make a cold based rain comparable to archaic fire rain? I heard murmurs long ago about an Artifact spell that was supposed to be a cold rain, but you know what they say about rumors.

I don't like the idea of a cold rain. It does not fit anywhere with 0-65 - relic etc. We literally have no cold spells. I wold much rather have a new fire rain and new fire DD. Fits more in line with the class as well as would not require us to get another focus.

Necros do get a badass cold dot after none , and crap dds on the way (cryo toxin and chillbones are terrible ) so it does happen
Seeing their affinity with the elements, having more diversity in rains does not shock me

Back
Top Bottom