Magic damage on weapons

TheDude81321

Dalayan Beginner
Hey, I was just interested to see http://www.angrygamer.net/sodwiki/index.php?title=Experimental_Axe and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this stuff...mainly:

1)does the magic damage work completely at lower levels, ive seen the axe in game, its got regular damage/delay too, but the magic damage isnt in parentheses/lowered....?

2)how well does magic damage work compared to normal damage, would this be relatively the same as having the 40-something damage 50 delay axe of a normal weapon, or would there end up being a lot less damage due to resists? or better in certain situations worse in others?

I guess thats all i can think of for now, I thought there was something else... but those are the big things, so if anyone could help me with this, I'd appreciate it, thank you!

When you have a weapon with magic you really can't go wrong. One of the big differences between the magic and normal one is some mobs you just can't hit with a normal weapon. Say a willowisp. You could be level 40 and whack on it all day with a normal weapon and the wisp will beat you. I'm sure there are more mobs but I remember my first run in with a wisp and watching it kick my butt.
As far as I know, Magic vs Normal has nothing to do with damage and delay.

I think he's talking about weapons that have a "+5 magic/fire/cold/poison/disease" modifier to damage, not about weapons that have or not the "MAGIC ITEM" tag.

I know what he's saying.. i was trying to pick up one of these myself but it got bought from right under my nose..

Experimental Axe
DMG 10, Delay 50
MAGIC DMG 40

wanting to know if the Magic Dmg (40) is as good as regular DMG.. as far as resists vs magic go and such..
..as far as i know that Dmg plays against the mobs resists.. and works like dmg ontop of the regular dmg.. anyone feel free to currect my assumption.. i have yet to obtain one and find out myself

It will never be as good as a 50/50 weapon, but it will only rarely be as bad as it's base 10/50. Basically, no matter what, it will always get some damage resisted. Not every hit. Not even every third or fourth hit, but there will always be some sort of resist (since, AFAIK, nothing is completely non-resistant. It will be significantly worse against more difficult mobs (mobs three or more levels higher than you, is my guess), since you will both be missing and getting resisted alot. But it isn't a bad weapon when 1:1 ratio weapons aren't available to you (since it is much cheaper than 1:1 weapons). There aren't any situations where it will be better than a 1:1 ratio weapon. And, as far as I know, the magic damage is full effect at any level.

Just a stream-of-thought post to help, sorry about the lack of cohesion from sentence to sentence.

+elemental damage works the same way as physical damage it just checks against resists instead of AC. Depending on the mobs resists this could make the weapon either slightly better or completely useless vs a equal tiered pure melee weapon.

It all depends on the mob and how much debuffing you can put on it.

I was never a fan of it when I used it for my sk. Got terrible dmg entirely too often with it. Always figured it went by resists. I would guess it also checks your cha?

Caoimhe said:
the magic damage is full effect at any level.

can anyone please verify this, specifically this weapon.. the recommended lvl is 35.. i dont feel im getting that 40dmg or anything over initial dmg really.. if it is at full effect all levels than i'll need to find some mobs with less magic resist i guess..

vistachiri said:
I would guess it also checks your cha?

I hope this isnt the case, as my charisma blows.. don't know alot about magic, so how does this factor in?

Recommended levels apply to elemental and bane damage, although it's not visible in the client.

ah.. that explains alot..

last thing i guess i need to know.. will all elemental dmg kick in at recommended lvl (from 0 added dmg to full 40) or does it work like reg dmg and go up in intervals as you lvl..

thanks for the help

nayR said:
ah.. that explains alot..

last thing i guess i need to know.. will all elemental dmg kick in at recommended lvl (from 0 added dmg to full 40) or does it work like reg dmg and go up in intervals as you lvl..

thanks for the help

Just like regular damage, so you get 20 of the 40 at half the rec level.

Wiz said:
Just like regular damage, so you get 20 of the 40 at half the rec level.

when it checks to see if the ele damage is resisted, does it check your cha? i'd assume so but it'd be nice to know for sure

Thinkmeats said:
when it checks to see if the ele damage is resisted, does it check your cha? i'd assume so but it'd be nice to know for sure

Yes.

The response from the staff and everyone has been of great help, i really appreciate it!..

so for all you casters:.. how does CHA factor into resists? if checked per 'hit', i imagine you would land no 'elemental/magic dmg' on that hit.. ive currently got 40 CHA (woo!) ..will most of my 'hits' be resisted as far as added dmg is concerned?.. the difference from 1:5 to 1:1 could be profound if im resisted x% of the time...

With 240 cha at 65, I am full resisted about 20% of my casts if I do not malo first. It is not uncommon (but thankfully not every time either) to have 5 resists in a row against a green. However, I am known to be unlucky.

You are probably going to have to try it out for yourself and see how you like it.

Thanks everyone, I actually ended up purchasing one, and was already quite sure that the recommended level was in effect, as i was getting nowhere near the damage i should have been if the magic damage counted in full, but thank you very much for confirming it. All that aside, it's still working fairly well for me at the moment, but I'll have to continue to mess around with it and see how it compares to my other options.

Back
Top Bottom