Let's talk about the future

daenar_sod

Dalayan Elder
I got finger wagged, so I'm making this new thread.

What does this new project server idea Taryth made mean for the current SoD server? Is it a good thing? Is it a bad thing? Will 2.5 bugs continue (if at all) to get fixed? Will Ikky 2.0 ever happen? Why are nutter butter cookies so fucking fantastic?

Will this revitalize the community or will too many people leave after having their hard work abandoned?

Not a troll. I'm curious to get the general consensus on how this new SoD server makes them feel.

demither

Dalayan Adventurer
Apparently the bugs that I've come across from coming back 2 weeks ago have been happening for forever and a half. There are devs around apparently, but either they are too busy or just don't want to do anything, which if true is their choice and is okay. They read the forums so they can tell me if I'm wrong, but real life can get to you fast ;)

Nutter butters are pretty dang good too.

AngryCow

Dalayan Elder
My biggest fear, and one that I know I'm not alone in, is that this will end up killing both projects. That the sequel will kill current SoD and then the Sequel wouldn't gather enough steam to make it and then everyone has a bad time. This might be an exaggeration, but it's definitely a concern I have seen.

daenar_sod

Dalayan Elder
I was asked to link all these threads talking about server wipes, new servers etc. You can find them in the trash can. Out of the top 10 trashed threads, 6 of them are on this topic. They got trashed because people got very.... aggressive and defensive of their believes very quickly. Also I may have intentionally caused a few to get deleted by trolling.

https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/threads/what-will-happen-next.30213/
https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/threads/poll-sod-progression-server.30204/
https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/threads/sod-progression-server-discussion.30205/
https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/threads/server-wipe-re-open-request.30194/
https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/threads/heres-that-poll-for-server-status.30195/
https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/threads/server-wipe.30189/

EDIT: Read the links bottom to top to see the progression of discussion w.r.t. time.

Draeos

Dalayan Elder
I think current management has given up entirely, besides tar i don't think any of them have the ability to fix any of whats wrong bug wise slaar has said so him/her self? If they could they would have right? Either that or no one cares anymore. They have removed potential dev's for the littlest infractions when in the past there has been worse done with no uproar. ( See emberfloor maps ). When new dev's are the biggest thing they needed. There has not been an update since march. When was the last bit of new content made? The only "new" things has been marza fixing his OG stuff as far as i am aware. Lets talk about marza. Dude made the game fun again made the best content the coolest items, what happened to him? I think SoD is dead and once the guilds who ware stuck in spires while exo/fwf/handle/ringers/whatthefuckever killed all the top end content get bored of it and have it farmed out that'll be the end. They are only farming and killing all that because after however many years of not being able to your going to want to see it to the end. Being new is to hard now as not enough people to just start new.

SoD could be saved if management would pass on the torch but they won't for whatever behind the scenes reason SoD's lore is cool its got good content it just got to top heavy with nothing new to do and nothing in the works. Lets call it a day. Was a really good run honestly probably the best run of any eqemu server in history.

12+ years is a long time to make things up as you go along. Virtually all of it by people who barely knew what they were doing, too!

Seeth

Dalayan Adventurer
I'd like to get excited about this new project but i honestly have no confidence in it based on the last project's fate. 2.5 was dumped on us and left in shambles with little to no communication about future intentions. Finishing what was started by ironing out the major 2.5 bugs would go a long way for me in restoring faith in the staff. I get it, it's a free server and you get what you pay for. If Taryth has had it with Sod then that's his choice. My choice is to continue being a cautiously optimistic lurker until something real happens.

Udeni

Dalayan Elder
I've been lurking on the forums for the past 6 months, and here's my opinion on the matter. At this point, I don't think it's possible for any bugs in 2.5 to be ironed out at all, probably because the code for SoD is such a convoluted pile of spaghetti code from 20+ people working on the project over the past 12+ years, with only 4-5 of those people working at the same time at max. As Zaela said, it was by people who barely knew what they were doing at the time, which means the code is even more prone to having random bugs happen. Heck, the code may be ridiculously unreadable, and therefore impossible to fix without completely rewriting it, or running into a ton of new bugs because a section of code is so buried in indentations that you didn't even see it. Or maybe all the systems in place are stacked on top of code made by a guy that left, which was stacked on top of code made by a guy that left before the first guy even knew about SoD, repeat ad nauseam. All you people going "why don't you just fix all the bugs in 2.5?" *obviously* don't understand the shitstorm that is legacy code.

The only way I can see SoD getting upgraded is if the whole thing is redone from scratch, using the EQEmu base. That would allow for more backend update capability, from all the people at eqemu doing their things, would allow access to a huge amount of tools (EQEmu EOC, including the peqeditor, etc.) that may or may not exist in some form or another here. However, that would mean a sever wipe. And even more work (probably) than was put in to SoD 2.5. Which is probably why Taryth is just starting a new server, because to update SoD would be basically starting a new server, with 12 year old content. And who would want to take another solid year of grinding just to replay all that old content that may or may not be good? That doesn't really even get updated lore-wise (wru ikisith 2.0?) and probably never will? The answer is probably nobody. Especially since a huge amount of the veteran players would just leave and never come back. I see a much higher likelihood of an SoD-related server succeeding with new content, rather than the old content remade.

/rant

Nebi

Dalayan Pious Diety
there is only one way to fix this server. Volunteer.

cant code? dont spend your life in game trying to find tree's underground. write up a quest from start to finish, include the loot, give them some feed back and submit it to the few remaining people. sometimes coming up with the content is harder itself than coding it.

Grinkles

Developer
Staff member
there is only one way to fix this server. Volunteer.

cant code? dont spend your life in game trying to find tree's underground. write up a quest from start to finish, include the loot, give them some feed back and submit it to the few remaining people. sometimes coming up with the content is harder itself than coding it.
You mean like this, the 14-page Shojar deity quest proposal I wrote up by request in 2013, for which I didn’t receive even so much as a “thank you for your submission” at the time?

Shojar Deity Quest

[Deeds of the Cold-Blooded]

Part 1 of 3

SYNOPSIS:

Player joins a priest of Shojar in a quest to hunt down a band of four Tarhylian cultists seen in the Great Divide. The cultists seem to have erected some kind of shrine to their god, but when challenged by Player, the encounter proves hostile. Three cultists are slain; the fourth escapes. Player takes the evidence left of the shrine to the Orator of Frost in Plane of Frost.

Player visits the Orator of Frost only to be rebuffed for having let the surviving cultist escape. The Orator insists Player is not worthy of doing further work on the cultist investigation. Instead, Player is given “missionary work” in the Obsidian Shard Mountains.

Player confronts an intelligent lizardman named Kil`Iyal, who has recently learned of cold magic yet is ignorant of Shojar. Kil`Iyal attempts to attack Player but bows to Shojar’s superior strength when the attack proves useless. Kil`lyal agrees to honor Shojar and spread word of the god among his tribe.

Player returns to the Orator of Frost with the news and, having risen somewhat in standing, is granted the first Shojar deity aug: Flake of Frostfang Snow.

This portion of the quest contains 3 opportunities for either LAWFUL or EVIL alignment.

NPCs INVOLVED (in order of appearance):

• Kordyn the Coldpriest (new) – Great Divide
  • Level 45 (invulnerable)
  • Warrior
  • (Shojar) tag underneath name
  • Male Dark Elf in a blue robe
  • Located in empty SW alcove of harthuk cave in GD
  • a frozen fire elemental (new) – Great Divide
  • level 1 (invulnerable and FDed)
  • Warrior
  • Fire Elemental
  • Spawns next to river when Player and Kordyn approach
  • a burned shadow dwarf (new) – Great Divide
  • level 1 (invulnerable and FDed)
  • Warrior
  • Female Coldain Dwarf
  • Spawns together with a frozen fire elemental, except *in* the river
  • a shard golem – Great Divide

• a Tarhylian cultist (new) – Great Divide
  • Level 55
  • Warrior
  • 1 Female Human, 1 Female Erudite, 1 Male Gnome, 1 Male High Elf, all in red robes
  • Located in otherwise inaccessible area above the waterfall
  • Shrine to the Flame Lord (new) – Great Divide
  • Level 1 (invulnerable)
  • Warrior
  • Fire pot model as seen in Valor A (unable to pinpoint model #)
  • Located among the cultists
  • The Orator of Frost – Azmaen, Heart of Frost

• a fleeing lizardman (new) – Obsidian Shard Mountains
  • Level 1 (invulnerable)
  • Warrior
  • Standard green lizardman model
  • Spawns when the player enters the area of OSM containing the lizard tower
  • a melting ice elemental (new) – Obsidian Shard Mountains
  • Level 10 (invulnerable)
  • Warrior
  • Water elemental model
  • Spawns when the player enters the area of OSM containing the lizard tower
  • Also summoned by *Kil`Iyal
  • *Kil`Iyal – Obsidian Shard Mountains (new) – Obsidian Shard Mountains
  • Quest version of mob already in game; spawns when a melting ice elemental “melts” (FDs) at the base of the lizard tower
  • Same level as normal version (invulnerable)
ITEMS INVOLVED (in order of appearance):

• Disused Tarhylian Prayer Bowl (new)
Icon: 1013

[LORE ITEM] [NO DROP]

WT: 10.0 Size: LARGE

Class: ALL

Race: ALL

• Kil'Iyal's Cryogenic Focus

• Flake of Frostfang Snow (new)
Icon: 1129

[NO DROP] [AUGMENTATION]

Augmentation Type: 8

Focus Effect: Cryogenia Focus

STR: +2 DEX: +2 WIS: +2 INT: +2 HP: +20 MANA: +20

SV COLD: +2

Restrictions -

Slot: CHARM

Class: ALL

Race: ALL

SCRIPT:

-Player finds Kordyn the Coldpriest in the harthuk caves of the Great Divide:

You say, ‘Hail, Kordyn the Coldpriest’

Kordyn the Coldpriest raises an eyebrow at you. ‘Can you feel it, too?’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Feel what?’

Kordyn says, ‘That faint wave of heat.’ His nostrils flare, and he raises his head as if to catch a passing scent. ‘There it is again. You follow Shojar, do you not? Surely, you must sense it.’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘I am but a young pledge, friend. You seem to be more in tune with the cold than I. Why does it worry you?’

Kordyn says, ‘Because the Great Divide lies at the heart of Frostfang, where the Cold One’s presence is strongest. I tell you, this is an unnatural warmth. In fact…’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘What is it? Go on!’

Kordyn says, ‘Yesterday, I spied a small band of what looked to be Tarhylian cultists trudging through the snow. I took them to be passing adventurers, but this heat has lingered ever since they appeared. Something peculiar is afoot, Player.’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Then let us investigate this warmth together. Any work done in Shojar’s name is work worth doing. If Tarhyl has befouled these parts with his followers, then you and I will track them down.’

Kordyn nods. ‘You might yet prove your worth to the Cold One. I am no adventurer myself, so I will allow you to direct our search. Lead on and keep your eyes and ears open.’

-Kordyn the Coldpriest follows Player as would a pet.

-Upon nearing the river, a frozen fire elemental and a burned shadow dwarf spawn (FDed), and the following emote appears:

Kordyn places his hand on your shoulder. ‘There’s something over yonder.’ He points toward the river.

-Player nears the scene and receives the following emote:

An abandoned fire elemental lies half-covered in fresh snow. Mere feet from the elemental lies a dead shadow dwarf, burned beyond recognition and lying in the river.

Kordyn says, ‘What do you make of this?’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘I think you were right to suspect the Tarhylians, but this dwarf looks to have been dead for several hours.’

Kordyn clenches his teeth and shakes his head. ‘Who knows what happened here, but whatever their intent, these cultists have crossed the line. To summon a foul elemental from the Flame Lord’s plane in the heart of Frostfang is an insult to our god!’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘What would you have us do?’

Kordyn ignores the question. The Dark Elf closes his eyes and begins muttering a spell.

[One by one, four “a shard golem” spawn around Kordyn.]

In a low and furious voice, Kordyn says, ‘There are Tarhylians in our midst. Scour the four corners of the Great Divide. Leave no stone unturned. But do them no harm. Return here the moment you find anything. For Shojar!’

-The four golems disperse to the north, east, south, and west.

Kordyn turns to you and blinks with a vacant expression on his face. ‘Ah, forgive me. I had forgotten you were here, Player. Stay with me a while—I may need your muscle. These golems are swift scouts but crumble like powder snow in battle. Busy yourself as you will.’

Kordyn leans over the river, apparently intrigued by the disfigured dwarf carcass. He mumbles to himself, but the words are indiscernible.

-90 seconds pass.

Kordyn says, ‘This river seems wider than I remember….’

[90 more seconds pass (180 total; 3 minutes). One of the shard golems returns from the north and approaches Kordyn.]

Kordyn says, ‘What have you learned?’ He presses a bare hand to the golem’s forehead in a moment of silence. ‘I see. You have served your purpose. Thank you.’ He pushes the golem aside, and it crumbles into a heap of snow just as he had said it would. The Dark Elf continues north along the river. ‘Come, Player.’

-Kordyn stops at the base of the waterfall outside Thurgadin.

Kordyn says, ‘The golem heard faint chanting above this waterfall. You look to have some experience in climbing. We’ll begin our ascent when you are ready. You need only give the word.’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Let’s climb.’

-The player and Kordyn the Coldpriest are transported to the otherwise inaccessible area above the waterfall. Kordyn ducks down. In the distance can be seen four red-robed cultists surrounding Shrine to the Flame Lord. They are alternating between casting and /kneel emotes.

Kordyn shakes you by the arm. ‘So they are here. And look—they’ve something with them. Why, it’s a flame, and they’re doing some sort of ritual!’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘You said the river looked wider than usual. The heat from that flame must be melting the snow little by little.’

Kordyn gasps. ‘Shojar will not be pleased. What say you? Shall we break words with them or attack them while they’re off-guard?’

LAWFUL OPTION

/cmd d1

You say, ‘I would have words with them. Even lowly Tarhylians are honor-bound to respect the Cold One’s domain, are they not?’

Kordyn says, ‘You are right. To ambush them would be to stoop to their level.’

-Kordyn walks in, and Player follows. The cultists stop their animations and turn to Kordyn. One of the female cultists walks up to Player.

a Tarhylian cultist says, ‘We have visitors.’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Hail. A shadow dwarf has been slain not far from here. He was burned to a crisp. What do you know of the matter?’

a Tarhylian cultist looks back at her comrades with a grin. ‘Why should the two of you ask after a dead shadow dwarf? Who are you to question us?’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘We come in Shojar’s name, and you have intruded upon his domain. Put out that fire, or we’ll do so by force.’

-a Tarhylian cultist returns to the fire and ducks next to it.

The cultist warms her hands over the flame as she speaks: ‘Ansaag said Shojar was quite cunning, but it would seem the same is true of his followers, too.’

Kordyn says, ‘Enough talk. Put out the fire or—’

a Tarhylian cultist shouts, ‘No follower of Tarhyl bends to the will of another. Least of all a Shojarian peon. Attack!’

-(Skip to after EVIL OPTION.)

EVIL OPTION

/cmd d2

You say, ‘Their intent is clear, Kordyn. They’ve set foot in Shojar’s land and lit a fire in praise of the Flame Lord. Leave words for the weak. These cultists will die where they stand!’

Kordyn says, ‘Very well, but you do the deed. As I said in the cave, I’m no adventurer.’

-Player approaches the cultists.

a Tarhylian cultist shouts, ‘An ambush?!’

-(Continuation…)

-The four cultists attack Player. They must be killed. The first three die normally, but the fourth one falls to the ground (FD) at 20% and is immune to damage.

a Tarhylian cultist pleads, ‘Please, spare me! I swear I’ll never set foot on snow again!’ She clutches the amulet at her neck and gazes skyward. ‘By Tarhyl, I swear it to you!’

LAWFUL OPTION

/cmd d1

You say, ‘So be it. Mine is an honorable god, unlike yours, and I would not mar his land with further bloodshed. But first, tell me what you—’

EVIL OPTION

/cmd d2

You say, ‘Ha! Such pitiful, pitiful words. But I’m afraid you’ll find me coldhearted in matters of pity.’ [Raise your foot to stomp the body into the snow.]

-(Continuation…)

a Tarhylian cultist fades away.

Kordyn says, ‘Curse those cultists! She must have used that amulet to return to the Tower. At least the evidence is still with us.’

-Kordyn approaches the bowl of fire and ducks over it to get a closer look.

Kordyn says, ‘I’ve never before seen something like this. The heat it emits is astounding now that I’m standing this close to the thing.’

-Kordyn does two kick animations, and the bowl disappears.

Kordyn kicks a heap of snow over the bowl. The flame goes out in an instant.

Kordyn says, ‘You said earlier that any task done for Shojar is a task worth doing. I have another such task for you.’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Anything for the Cold One.’

Kordyn fishes the bowl out of the snow, empties it, and places it in your hand. ‘Take this to the Orator of Frost. He is the wisest of Shojar’s subjects. Tell him what has happened here and see what he has to say on the matter. Be forewarned, however. The Orator is as uncompromising as he is wise. Should he put a task before you, you would do well to accept it—and to do it well. The Orator has Shojar’s ear, and any word of your service under him, however small, could yield to great opportunities.’

-Player receives Disused Tarhylian Prayer Bowl.

/cmd d1

You say, ‘And what of you? You had as much hand in this as I. Will you not accompany me and share in the glory?’

-Kordyn does the /shrug animation.

Kordyn says, ‘I may not be the fighter you are, but I have proven myself worthy to the Cold One more than once. Nay, I shall remain here and keep vigil over the Great Divide as before. Go now and earn your place among the halls of Azmaen!’

Kordyn begins to cast a spell.

Kordyn fades away.

-Player visits Azmaen, Heart of Frost and seeks out The Orator of Frost.

You say, ‘Hail, The Orator of Frost’

The Orator of Frost looks you up and down, his eyes narrowed in contempt. He folds his arms and looks away.

-Player hands Disused Tarhylian Prayer Bowl to The Orator of Frost.

The Orator holds the object with a curious look about his face. He runs a hand along the smooth inner surface. It glints in the light of the surrounding ice. ‘How did you come by such a thing?’ he asks.

/cmd d1

You say, ‘It was left behind by a band of Tarhylian cultists.’

The Orator of Frost says, ‘Any fool could tell at a glance that it’s of a piece of Tarhylian craftsmanship. Left behind, you said? Where?’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘In the Great Divide, Orator.’

The Orator tightens his grip on the prayer bowl, warping the metal. ‘The Flame Lord has sent followers into our lands?!’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘I am afraid so, Orator.’

The Orator says, ‘Then you have done well to rout them. Tell me, what did you learn from the cultists before driving them out?’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Almost nothing. They had lit a flame in the bowl high atop the Thurgadin waterfall and had melted enough snow to widen the river by several inches. I caught them in the middle of some sort of ritual chant—that’s when they attacked me.’

The Orator says, ‘Go on.’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘I slew three of them without delay and intended to force the tongue of the last—’

The Orator growls. His breath sends a shiver down your spine. ‘Intended?’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘She fled by way of magic when I had her under my heel.’

-At this point, the Orator deals a Devastating Blow to Player that leaves Player with 100 HP. This must work such that pets will not engage the Orator.

The Orator strikes you hard with the bowl, and it shatters against your side. ‘How could you be so reckless?!’ He looks down into the shards of metal scattered on the floor. His breathing slows. ‘Nonetheless, you still struck a blow to our gravest of enemies.’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Forgive me, Orator. Please, allow me to redeem myself in some way.’

The Orator ignores your words. ‘I cannot be certain, but I believe this skirmish may point to a larger plot. Tarhyl has never been one for singular strategy.’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Please, Orator. Give me a—’

Your words fall on deaf ears once again as he cuts you off. ‘We cannot allow the Flame Lord to establish a presence in our lands! I must send my underlings to look into the matter further. Perhaps more cultists will turn up. Or worse yet, more of these infernal trinkets.’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Orator! Let me be among them, your underlings. I would—’

The Orator says, ‘No, Player. Let Azmaen’s denizens carry out Azmaen’s business. This is the first I’ve seen of you, and already you’ve proven incompetent. But if you insist on lingering, I’ve another task that needs doing. A minor matter of missionary work, shall we say.’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Anything for the Cold One.’

-The Orator of Frost heals the player to full HP with Light of Shojar.

The Orator of Frost begins to cast a spell.

You channel a softly glowing light.

The Orator says, ‘I have caught wind of a unique lizardman named Kil`Iyal in the Obsidian Shard Mountains. Unique in that he is the first among his kind to discover rudimentary cryomancy, or cold magic. However, he simply uses it for his own ends and gives no praise to Shojar. Lizardfolk are of simple minds, but this is unacceptable. Seek out this Kil`Iyal and teach him of our god’s greatness. And do not worry—he has learned common tongue better than the rest of his ilk.’

-Player must travel to Obsidian Shard Mountains. Upon entering the area containing Kil`Iyal’s tower, a fleeing lizardman runs up to Player; a melting ice elemental spawns at the same spot but is inactive. Both mobs are invulnerable.

a fleeing lizardman looks at you with a fear in his eyes. He says something in his own tongue, but the words mean nothing to you. Suddenly, the familiar site of an ice elemental appears behind him.

-a melting ice elemental activates and runs to a fleeing lizardman. It casts WaterElementalAttack on a fleeing lizardman.

A fleeing lizardman has been slain by a melting ice elemental!

-a melting ice elemental paths slowly toward the lizardman tower.

This must be the work of that Kil`Iyal. Perhaps you ought to follow it…

-a melting ice elemental “dies” (FDs) at the base of the tower. *Kil`Iyal spawns at the top of the tower (takes the spot of whatever else is currently there).

One of the elemental’s arms falls off, then the other. It collapses in a melting heap at the base of the tower.

-The player scales the tower to find *Kil`Iyal.

You say, ‘Hail, *Kil`Iyal’

*Kil`Iyal eyes you with suspicion. The lizardman wields a small, crudely-fashioned wand. His magic seems to have won him high regard among his people, judging from the guards posted around him. ‘What %R want?’ he utters and points the wand at you.

/cmd d1

You say, ‘That elemental I just saw, was it summoned by your hand?’

*Kil`Iyal nods proudly.

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Then you must be the famous Kil`Iyal. Tell me, why did you send an elemental to kill your fellow lizardman?’

*Kil`Iyal says, ‘No fellow of mine. He kill his brother. Guilt certain.’

LAWFUL OPTION

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Execution is a necessary penalty for such grave crimes. Say, your ideals are not unlike those of my own leader.’

EVIL OPTION

/cmd d2

You say, ‘Then the weakling deserved his death. My own leader would have done the very same.’

-(Continuation…)

*Kil`Iyal says, ‘Who is leader of %R?’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Why, Shojar—god of all things cold. You do not pay respects to the Cold One?’

The lizardman drums his fingers against the shaft of the wand. ‘Kil`Iyal honor Kil`Iyal. What need of this cold-god?’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘We would have no cold were it not for him. All of Dalaya would be bathed in the flame of Tarhyl. The magic you wield flows from Shojar—in a sense, your magic IS Shojar. Would you make use of such a gift without paying him praise?’

*Kil`Iyal spreads his feet apart and twirls the wand. ‘Who is %R to speak of cold and magic? Kil`Iyal send you to icy grave! Rise, ice-friends!’

-a melting ice elemental x5 spawn around *Kil`Iyal. They attack Player (they deal no damage and are invulnerable).

A number of ice elemental appear before you. With the flick of the lizardman’s wand, they attack.

-Player must withstand the attack for 30 seconds, at which point the five elementals all “melt” (FD).

*Kil`Iyal looks in dismay at the puddle of freezing water at his feet. ‘%R strong! Ice-friends not even scratch you!’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘You may wield great magic, but that of the Cold One is infinitely greater. I have been chilled to the core by the sights of his frosty home, Azmaen. Imagine the coldest winter night you’ve lived through, Kil`Iyal. Compared to the halls of Azmaen, such a night would feel as the hottest day of summer! After having been to that place, your elementals simply have no effect on me.’

*Kil`Iyal opens his mouth in awe. ‘What name of cold-god again?’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Shojar. Sing his praise and you, too, shall feel his touch. Sing it loudly, and your elementals will grow stronger by the day.’

*Kil`Iyal says, ‘When Kil`Iyal see Azmaen?’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Pledge loyalty to Shojar, spread word of his power among your kind, and you’ll see the place when the Cold One deems you worthy. Mark my words, though. You’ll be the first of your kind to behold it. I’m sure of it.’

*Kil`Iyal throws back his head in a reptilian laugh. ‘Kil`Iyal pledge loyalty. Others pledge loyalty, too. What Kil`Iyal believe, others believe. %R will see, %R will see!’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Then my work here is done, brother. I am to return to Azmaen. Farewell.’

*Kil`Iyal whips his tail excitedly. ‘Wait, %R! To Azmaen, %R said?’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Aye, Azmaen. The Heart of Frost.’

*Kil`Iyal says, ‘Kil`Iyal have gift. Gift for cold-god, Shojar!’ He slides his necklace off over his head and thrusts it into your hand.

-Player receives Kil’Iyal’s Cryogenic Focus from *Kil`Iyal.

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Of course. I will deliver it myself with your regards. Farewell, Kil`Iyal.’

*Kil`Iyal says, ‘Farewell, ice-friend.’

-Playre returns to Azmaen, Heart of Frost. Player gives Kil’Iyal’s Cryogenic Focus to The Orator of Frost.

The Orator of Frost pinches the necklace between thumb and forefinger, examining it from several angles. ‘Crude but sturdy—lizardfolk design. What is this? An offering?’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘An offering, sir. Kil`Iyal sends his regards to the all of Azmaen.’

For the first time, the Orator looks you in the eye. ‘You won him over so speedily?’

/cmd d1

You say, ‘Aye. Word of the Cold One will spread through the lizardfolk tribe by day’s end.’

The Orator says, ‘I am impressed. The lesser races are so often difficult to reason with. You must have a tongue of silver.’ He palms the lizardman’s trinket and sprinkles a fistful of snow over it. Closing his hand firmly, he mutters something in an unknown tongue.

-The Orator of Frost does his model’s casting animation.

/cmd d1

You say, ‘I am honored to serve you, Orator.’

The Orator ceases his muttering. He thrusts his fist in front of your face. ‘There may be worth in you yet, Player. Take this as a token of appreciation.’ A single snowflake falls from his fist. You catch it in your bare hand, yet it does not melt.

-Player receives Flake of Frostfang Snow.
The only reason I'm pasting something so absurdly long into the post is not so that people read it; it is to prove a point. Communication between the staff and the playerbase is at an indisputable all-time low in 2016, and the claim that if only we lazy players would "volunteer," the server would rise from the ashes in glorious renaissance amounts to little more than pompous slacktivism. Look what good volunteering did me 3 years ago, when the server was still in fair health and the staff had a much larger presence among the playerbase.

And regarding this in specific:
dont spend your life in game trying to find tree's underground.
Given how fractured both the staff and the playerbase seem to be and given the Big T’s recent decision to put his efforts elsewhere (which is his own prerogative, of course), I can’t say I know what our best course of action is as players. However, I don’t think that taking a smug jab at me for attempting to bring some lighthearted trivia to an otherwise grim forum atmosphere is helping either. Would you think more highly of my posts if they consisted instead of low-effort one-liners and trollish in-jokes?

Ryst

Dalayan Elder
If you want to talk 2.5, start a new thread please.

Suffice it to say, I took an oath of sorts not to discuss internal dev matters externally, and I will not do so. I would be very happy if work on SoD continued! I would prefer to expend most of my efforts elsewhere for a variety of reasons. I might be able to fix some of the 2.5 bugs (I don't even have a current list), but having given it thought this is the direction I want to head. If it ends up that there's no drive for it or some such so be it, but thus far it seems like a good number of folks are seriously interested.

Like I said, I want to focus on any potential new game here. Let's not mix that up with 2.5, please.
I have to be honest that the SoD Sequel thread in Games and Media section of the post above from that thread in particular have my wife and I weighing both our current and future roles with the current game. Specifically, we are having a discussion at the moment about cutting ties now instead of sticking around to observe the final death throws after a slow agonizing death. It seems as though the conversion endeavor is being given up on. If that's the case then I think the population should know. We'll probably give it a week or two, monitor happenings and, if we don;t see anything that would indicate there is an effort to fix the 2.5 problems and keep SoD going, we're likely going to cease donating, say our good byes and find another way to spend our down time (which will almost assuredly not be another mmorpg).

Kedrin

Dalayan Pious Diety
I have to be honest that the SoD Sequel thread in Games and Media section of the post above from that thread in particular have my wife and I weighing both our current and future roles with the current game. Specifically, we are having a discussion at the moment about cutting ties now instead of sticking around to observe the final death throws after a slow agonizing death. It seems as though the conversion endeavor is being given up on. If that's the case then I think the population should know. We'll probably give it a week or two, monitor happenings and, if we don;t see anything that would indicate there is an effort to fix the 2.5 problems and keep SoD going, we're likely going to cease donating, say our good byes and find another way to spend our down time (which will almost assuredly not be another mmorpg).
Think it all comes down to your enjoyment level. Ask yourself easy question like: "Am I having fun?" It really shouldn't be too much more difficult than that.

Lleoc

Dalayan Master
I have been playing this game for over 10 years. When I first started playing, there were many issues. Remember being in a zone for more than an hour and experiencing packet loss? Remember when around 2 AM every night the server would have a major hiccup (literally everyone stopped exp until the hiccup was over, it would even lag /ooc out badly and sometimes the server would just plain crash)?

This server is run by volunteers who have real lives. I happen to know that a couple of them have had real life blow up a bit on them. Plus, it's summer so people (including the staff) are spending more time outdoors and with family. Patience is a virtue, folks. It will get better.

Ryst

Dalayan Elder
I have been playing this game for over 10 years. When I first started playing, there were many issues. Remember being in a zone for more than an hour and experiencing packet loss? Remember when around 2 AM every night the server would have a major hiccup (literally everyone stopped exp until the hiccup was over, it would even lag /ooc out badly and sometimes the server would just plain crash)?

This server is run by volunteers who have real lives. I happen to know that a couple of them have had real life blow up a bit on them. Plus, it's summer so people (including the staff) are spending more time outdoors and with family. Patience is a virtue, folks. It will get better.
Prior to that Taryth thread I agreed with that (yes I know you're trying to make me eat my words, but I am not that hungry), but now I am not so sure. The winds of time have seemed to changed my friend.

Ludovician

Dalayan Elder
Just gonna piggyback on Grinkles here...

I applied to be a dev on two separate occasions. Once when I was super active in the game, and once after I quit playing. I brought coding experience (though not in Shard's languages yet) to the table, as well as proof of my desire to make games (finished projects in the past).

I was 100% ignored, not even replied to.

Taryth making a new game isn't going to cause Shards to die. Look at it like this instead: A staff member doesn't want to / can't work on Shards anymore, and is starting his own project. It happens to take place in the same universe. It doesn't have to mean Shards dies - it's just a guy making another game that will be free for us all to enjoy if we choose to do so.

My guess is that SoD's code is unfixable at this point. Hell - when I look at code I wrote a year ago I can't even make sense of what I was doing sometimes. I can't imagine trying to work through someone else's. Props to them for updating it for as long as they have, and if they keep going then that's awesome too - but I'm 100000% sure it's a lesson in frustration for them all.

Elysium

Dalayan Adventurer
There's got to be an old version of the server kicking around. Launch a new server with the old client, wipe the characters, and watch many old players return for a rerun through the best EQEmu content ever created.

Taryth

Administrator
Staff member
I have opted to fix some of the 2.5 bugs. I do think that's the right thing to do. I have a few things fixed already and a few more in the pipeline. (Bahir is permaspawned now, HT label fixed so new SKs know how to use it, lich fixed on dev, couple other minor things)

But Ludo hit on something here:

A staff member doesn't want to / can't work on Shards anymore, and is starting his own project. It happens to take place in the same universe. It doesn't have to mean Shards dies - it's just a guy making another game that will be free for us all to enjoy if we choose to do so.
That's exactly it. I have a new story in mind, and a vision that differs quite a bit from the current game. Nothing wrong with that I would hope! But when you start talking about these sort of radical departures from an existing game, retrofitting just doesn't make much sense.

Other people have also hit on very important things too, though I opt not to elaborate. I mentioned elsewhere that I won't talk "inside baseball" things as that is a promise I made to staff. However, in chatting with Woldaff, as long as I don't get too specific, maybe I can shed some light on things. When 2.5 was released, a few things happened:

1) Initially I wanted it to be later, by a few weeks or months. I knew there were some game issues that needed ironing out, but the game was indeed playable. Due to some internal timing constraints, however, we released in December, much to the surprise of players (I was not happy about this TBH, but I understand the perspective I suppose). At first, this seemed to be a good thing! But...

2) We unexpectedly lost some key staff immediately thereafter. Had I known this would happen, honestly, I might have held 2.5 for several months, maybe not releasing it at all. I was pretty taken aback by this, and it resulted in me suddenly basically one-manning the post-release process as well as a number of critical internal matters. I sound more bitter than I intend to here; the reasons for the departures had nothing to do with the game at all and I wish the very best for those involved. It was, however, a very disruptive hit.

3) I was 2 months into launching a new company, which necessarily had to consume the majority of my attention at the time

4) While a lot of people were supportive, some were beyond obnoxious and downright abusive, not only to me but to other staff. Coupled with the above, this eroded my ability and desire to do a whole heck of a lot, and for my own sanity I was forced to take some time off. (If I could get one thing across to folks, it's that this is a volunteer thing, not a job, and it would be nice if more people understood this)

The notions 2.5 was designed to "kill off" SoD or anything related is nonsense. Instead it was a multitude of factors, some controllable, some not. With all this, there are considerations, both internal and external, which make a new game attractive to me. Maybe it won't take off, who knows. Right now I'm having fun playing it out in my head. It's like building a massive D&D campaign, which I miss. :)

So I will fix some things that need fixing, most of which I think aren't that big of a deal. For people who want to keep playing SoD, this should come as welcome news.

Nebi

Dalayan Pious Diety
I have opted to fix some of the 2.5 bugs. I do think that's the right thing to do. I have a few things fixed already and a few more in the pipeline. (Bahir is permaspawned now, HT label fixed so new SKs know how to use it, lich fixed on dev, couple other minor things)

But Ludo hit on something here:

That's exactly it. I have a new story in mind, and a vision that differs quite a bit from the current game. Nothing wrong with that I would hope! But when you start talking about these sort of radical departures from an existing game, retrofitting just doesn't make much sense.

Other people have also hit on very important things too, though I opt not to elaborate. I mentioned elsewhere that I won't talk "inside baseball" things as that is a promise I made to staff. However, in chatting with Woldaff, as long as I don't get too specific, maybe I can shed some light on things. When 2.5 was released, a few things happened:

1) Initially I wanted it to be later, by a few weeks or months. I knew there were some game issues that needed ironing out, but the game was indeed playable. Due to some internal timing constraints, however, we released in December, much to the surprise of players (I was not happy about this TBH, but I understand the perspective I suppose). At first, this seemed to be a good thing! But...

2) We unexpectedly lost some key staff immediately thereafter. Had I known this would happen, honestly, I might have held 2.5 for several months, maybe not releasing it at all. I was pretty taken aback by this, and it resulted in me suddenly basically one-manning the post-release process as well as a number of critical internal matters. I sound more bitter than I intend to here; the reasons for the departures had nothing to do with the game at all and I wish the very best for those involved. It was, however, a very disruptive hit.

3) I was 2 months into launching a new company, which necessarily had to consume the majority of my attention at the time

4) While a lot of people were supportive, some were beyond obnoxious and downright abusive, not only to me but to other staff. Coupled with the above, this eroded my ability and desire to do a whole heck of a lot, and for my own sanity I was forced to take some time off. (If I could get one thing across to folks, it's that this is a volunteer thing, not a job, and it would be nice if more people understood this)

The notions 2.5 was designed to "kill off" SoD or anything related is nonsense. Instead it was a multitude of factors, some controllable, some not. With all this, there are considerations, both internal and external, which make a new game attractive to me. Maybe it won't take off, who knows. Right now I'm having fun playing it out in my head. It's like building a massive D&D campaign, which I miss. :)

So I will fix some things that need fixing, most of which I think aren't that big of a deal. For people who want to keep playing SoD, this should come as welcome news.

you're going to literally invest your time into a dying game that will give you no benefit at all. make some content and have people try it out. this will give you the push you need to go ahead and start your own game server. fixing 2 or 3 bugs out of the 200 is nothing.

do what you want to do..... which is make your own server.... just test it out on the little populous there is left.

Taryth

Administrator
Staff member
you're going to literally invest your time into a dying game that will give you no benefit at all
Psh, I'm a hedonist, I only do things that at some level make me happy. :) It's not a big thing to fix some bugs TBH.

Top Bottom