Ice Comet nerf?

darksabbath

Dalayan Master
Was this spell stealth nerfed, or was this an accident?
Even according to the wiki Ice Comet should do just over 1.1k damage. I have a 2% cold focus (thurg ring) on my wiz, but am doing only 814 dmg. It costs 400 mana to cast. For that cost, I am better off using Rend, which costs only 280 mana, and I hit for 802 with.
Mobs I could do with ease before I am required to root, and med break, so I can finish them off. Could this please be looked into?

A little more details on when you are/were experiencing these issues would help. Like in-game time/day, what mobs you were casting on, if it's consistent across days/zones/mobs, what buffs you have, if you're in a group with an enchanter with Shared Mind, etc.

it was Sun Peaks, today, on lavalites and lava serpents (shouldn't be cold resistant). Just logged out to post, so 5-10 minutes ago. And it's a consistent damage, not a resist. Had over 255cha in Sun peaks, only non-self buffs were a sb kei, and enc cha buff, was solo cause I couldn't find a group.
Logged back in just now, zoned to gafy, hit a fruit bat, a couple wolves, and a bear, and 814dmg there also. So it isn't a zone/mob thing I think.

I saw another wizard asking about this in OOC last night. So it most certainly isn't just me or any gear set-up or buffs I might have going on.

From OOC tonight re: Ice Comet

[Mon Jul 18 18:57:48 2011] Admin-Slaar says out of character, 'oh that did change.. spells grow with level now appropriately'
[Mon Jul 18 18:58:00 2011] Admin-Slaar says out of character, 'so it will do 1000+ or whatever at whatever lvl that is'
[Mon Jul 18 18:58:22 2011] Admin-Slaar says out of character, 'they scale as you increase in level just like live ;p'

From OOC tonight re: Ice Comet

[Mon Jul 18 18:57:48 2011] Admin-Slaar says out of character, 'oh that did change.. spells grow with level now appropriately'
[Mon Jul 18 18:58:00 2011] Admin-Slaar says out of character, 'so it will do 1000+ or whatever at whatever lvl that is'
[Mon Jul 18 18:58:22 2011] Admin-Slaar says out of character, 'they scale as you increase in level just like live ;p'

That scaling seems off.. it costs way more mana, it should do appreciably more damage than Rend.. it doesn't.

Reducing the damage like live has is fine.. if you reduce the mana cost like live did also. Note, Ice Comet on live costs half of what it does here. Logged into check real quick, and it is 203 mana, 808 damage, 5 second cast time. Here it is 400 mana and 6.3second cast time for my 814dmg (with cold focus thurg ring).

I am not opposed to the damage reduction, per se, if the other costs were reduced also. The 1.1k damage of the spell was a likely hold over from the earlier days of the game, back when 50 was max level. (It was their big "end game" spell then.) A warning that the spell was being nerfed would have been nice though..

Sorry Zae, I wasn't quite sure what it meant.. I was actually hoping you'd elaborate. It used to have a range of ~1100 to ~1120, iirc. What is the formula set at now? (And why was it changed?)

obviously the intent was to make ice comet crazy and random somehow from a lore perspective

Back
Top Bottom