HP or AC for WAR?

Kharras

Dalayan Adventurer
Hey yall. I heard that 1500AC cuts all damage in half...is that true? Even with raid mobs? If so...I agree AC is most important for tanks. If not are raw HP's an option? I know Hp's ended up being more important than AC on live in the end game, but I also realize SoD is a different game. The fact is, I am having a hard time deciding between HP or AC augs for my tank since Im so old school live. Help me out yo.

Check out this post in the Tome of Knowledge forum for information about AC and a number of other aspects of game mechanics. The formulae in SoD are so much better than those from live. AC makes a difference against raid mobs and normal mobs in the same way and SoDs formulae eliminate magic numbers of the type that existed on live, in other words 1500 AC is not special 1498 and 1502 are as you would expect a little worse than 1500 and a little better.

AC augs are widely considered the best type for a tank.

For a warrior there is a base rule that 1ac equals 5hp if you live with this in your choices for gear and augs you are on the right path.

On live or here your dumb if you are a tank using hp augs

I knew about a shadowknight on live who only used regen augs

Drezzk said:
Hey yall. I heard that 1500AC cuts all damage in half...is that true? Even with raid mobs?

Yes and no. At 1500 AC you have a chance to reduce 80% of incoming melee damage, but will 'always' reduce 20% of incoming melee damage. As far as I know, this is a totally random check, and can lead to some spikey hits, but overall AC is better than avoidance, and better than HP, from a pure tanking standpoint.

Also, I'm pretty sure that 80% reduction is the highest it gets, and from there on out the only thing that improves is the 'always reduce' number, which is the better number anyway. I could be totally wrong though!

Naethyn said:
HP > All

Ac does not work if you have no hp!

No.

For classes that tank as their primary role (warrior, shadowknight, paladin), AC augs are the only way to go. You also want to maximize your AC on all of your gear, choosing high AC items over higher HP items. When continuously taking melee damage, you want your AC to be higher to mitigate the total damage you take.

I wonder how the Devs came up with the 15HP or 5AC figures on EQ augs? If AC was so much better, wouldn't the amount of AC augs give be lower or the HP values higher to even things out? (Although I don't understand why there are always people like Ryu replying to inoffensive posts with insults, I ask in advance if you are one of those types, keep your pie-hole shut please.) Thanks.

Drezzk said:
I wonder how the Devs came up with the 15HP or 5AC figures on Game augs? If AC was so much better, wouldn't the amount of AC augs give be lower or the HP values higher to even things out? (Although I don't understand why there are always people like Ryu replying to inoffensive posts with insults, I ask in advance if you are one of those types, keep your pie-hole shut please.) Thanks.
For most tank classes, its 1AC=3HP when factoring in damage from spells that you're going to take. From a purely tanking standpoint (IE, mob only hits you with melee attacks and nothing else) 1AC=5HP.

Thanks Mythryn. That's the kind of reply I was hoping for. Now I can make clear decisions on the issue.

That's because CH made HP king. You only had to have enough HP to survive until the next CH.

That, and AC was worthless on live :(

Mythryn said:
For most tank classes, its 1AC=3HP when factoring in damage from spells that you're going to take. From a purely tanking standpoint (IE, mob only hits you with melee attacks and nothing else) 1AC=5HP.

HP was set at 15/ aug and AC at 5/ aug because AC is more situational. But yes, 1 AC = 5 HP in every situation where you are taking melee damage.

Pure tanks should ALWAYS go with AC.

Hybrids may choose AC or HP depending on the amount of time they spend tanking or aux tanking in raids and/or groups. Mileage may vary depending on class, gear, and level.

I could be wrong, but on Live I think zones had AC caps which also really put a nail in the Hps vs AC battle.

Seemed to recall Lower Guk haveing a 900 AC cap, so even if you had 1300 AC the zone still treatedd you as 900.

Or something like that.....

Back
Top Bottom