How should you spend exp?

As a mage, I like the idea of unique pet items. I do not raid very often, so any method for accessing the opus tomes would be beneficial. Because the running out of expable items wall is half way closer to me, than a more raid inclined characters.

I agree with Dimmi, in the sense that whatever it is, it needs to be consumable, because without that the wall just gets pushed farther back.

Now for my unique idea.

How about a special zone(s), that is difficult and yields improved gear. But, to access it every member has to pay an exp fee to enter it. So, that way there is an incentive to enter the zone, but if you are bad or have unfortunate luck you must respend the exp to enter again. The only problem with it I see, are people camping ressers in the zone to help surpass that problem of repaying the exp after a wipe. You could even make it an instanced like HFB, so people don't enter and never leave waiting on respawns.

In theory, multiple difficulties of zones could be done, so that a person who just finished codices or about to start would be inclined to join in, but would slow their progression to reaching the end, while giving them more options and possibly gear.

Now for othe problems I see, to my idea.
If you had an easier version, people would bring in ringer characters, and just farm the instances to gear up alts. Which would allow for alts to be geared up much faster and successfully, then setting up a pug, or back gearing raid, with loot claimed with the same ringers. (That claim is my personal speculation, that it is easier to get 6 people than 18 in on an effort)

The Breakthrough effect: Initially, the new zone would be challenging and work very well at giving people an object to spend exp on, and challenge. After it was figured out, it will become easier and won't work as well as a sink, because people will need to buy fewer "tickets" when every trip is successful. Or contrariwise, the zone may be ignored as in Nadox. Though, I like that zone, but the only people I know who go there are Rolla and Tao. I never seem to be on when they do.

Mercantilism: A person or team may figure out the zone very well, and could easily 4 man it. By knowing that skill they could sell the other 2 positions for a chance at the loot they obviously do not need. This would be very contrary to the spirit of the game. I'm thinking of how when Meso would sell spots in an exp band, because he would get you an AA a day or something.

your idea is neat but aside from the very few "instanced" zones in the game im pretty sure the rule of thumb is " no instanced zones ever." that may have changed over the years though, idk

I love the tradeskill idea!

If you are going to do something with expendable xp I'd like to see some abilities added to help classes in a weak area. For example my only real issue with paladins is that the AoE blinds and stuns take way too long to cast (or there aren't enough of them) to keep agro throughout a fight. I'm not saying to put them on a par with the melee classes who can get unbreakable agro on a raid mob, but for example in Kaesora I should be able to cast them enough to keep things off the squishier members of my party. Something that reduces the cast time and cool off of existing spells, or a "new" AoE blind or stun would be great. Like Divine Stun only, you know, AoE :)

Fine, I'll suggest something real.

Anything you add at this point needs to be in the realm of quality-of-life or aesthetic improvements, and should've been that way long ago really. Things that contribute directly to mudflation would be counterproductive to any of your account drives, and honestly probably conflict with best interests of the server.

The gap between new players and established ones is going the way of Live, only compounded by the nerf to exp after the more dedicated people had a chance to stack ridiculous amounts of tomes. You could argue that all the content is appealing to new players, but that's a misconception. Excess becomes intimidating and frustrating, and eventually content is tailored for the players at the other end of that gap. At the very least, you need to give people time to catch up before you add any more content to the upper end, character improvements or otherwise.

I agree with Zapple mostly. Very few people have run out of things to put their experience towards. Even if they are a loud minority, that still doesn't really warrant a need for change or additions.

My suggestions are all gimmicks.

Titles.
People fucking love titles. They're trophies; symbols of accomplishment. I'm not sure why they're held in some sacred esteem on this server, but they should be infinitely more accessible. I don't necessarily think these should be only awarded for certain experience milestones, but they could be given for some combination of experience and other unique accomplishments. A rough example: kill GotSS in EC, get a tome drop, acquire a certain amount of experience exclusively in Everchill, become "Master of the Everchill." I'm partial to EC, but the same concept can be applied elsewhere.

Permanent illusions (not soulbound).
Unique illusion clickies have always been very sought after on this server (even still in the recent treasure hunts), so why not give the same reward -- albeit perishable -- for a certain quantity of experience? The models on the client aren't infinite, but they are rather expansive.

Residency.
I don't know if this is possible client side, but apparently the entirety of the MMORPG community are wannabe interior designers. I know a very basic version of this exists now, but it can be expanded by quite a bit.

Land ownership.
Give a zone or a specific portion of a zone to someone for either a set amount of time or based on other parameters (eg: death). Every time a mob drops cash, a small tax is levied in the owner's name (.1%?). The exact amount of experience required and tax collected would be based on value of the property, obviously. You could also give the owner certain "perks" within the zone for the duration of the ownership (movement speed buffs, etc). I'm not sure how the tomes for this would be acquired, but I'd assume random world drop (similar to the ones in place now), so that everyone has a chance to own something.

Last edited:
Another good use for excess xp that would be expendable (which I agree is an important qualification) would be translation to fame points. For example 1mil xp = 10 fame points, or even 1mil xp = 5 fame points. One of my very few complaints about the game is that when I was new here I really looked forward to fame points as a way to do cool/fun character tweaks. Now there is almost no way to accrue fame, other than the occasional very lucky instance. It's no longer part of war, nor can you get fame via treasure hunt or any regular in game event except the new Karit's Boxes. I think it should be a harsh amount of xp, as fame was always considered a prime thing due to difficulty of getting any.

To me this is a simple and elegant solution requiring little to no tweaking, as many of the suggested uses for overage of xp are already part of the fame system. Particularly the oft-mentioned race change, and if I'm not mis-remembering titles are fame buyable as well. You could add a few things to the fame listing to accomodate any of the other more usable ideas, and the whole thing is done.

The only additional thing to be considered would be some expendable aa's for those that have em sitting banked and nothing to do with them. Though I suppose you could make some sort of exchange of AA's for fame if it's not difficult to work with the game mechanics.

An aug that is like a expable item need X number of aa's to move it to next step.

Have an initial quest to get said augment then when you get enough aa's to upgrade it, turn it in to the guy that gave it to you for 50-100aa's( or more depending on how good you want it to be )

The exp aug is a cool idea but I'm pretty sure marza wanted to do that and couldn't make it work.

Maybe a one month membership to the online dating site of your choice. 'Cause that's a lot of time online over the years and I am sure that we could all use a little help ;)

In all seriousness, IMO the raid mob/6-man mob spawn is a sketchy idea as it takes away not just the competition aspect but also the clearing aspect of killing a mob. There are some mobs that are an easy kill, but a difficult clear. For example some of the ValorA events. Iirc, there are some mobs in ToT that are pretty cake-ish but require killing a difficult boss before getting to them. SoD is awesome because it doesn't follow the auto-gratz mentality that you see in newer mainstream games like WoW. Allowing for the spawn of a random raid mob would take some of that fun away.

An idea to limit the exploit of the xp share idea might be to do an IP check or registered e-mail check to verify that the two toons being played are in fact different people. Also, make it a fractional amount shared. Say, 1/10 or so. This would make the sharing helpful, but also prevent too much of a quick rush through content.

Of all I read, Bud's ideas seem like the most appealing idea to implement. People who have plaid to the point in which they gain nothing from more exp are playing the game for the sheer joy of it. The title idea allows for them to get a little recognition for their enduring dedication (or douchbaggery depending on how they ascended). It would also be a flag to new players that this guy that they think is being a bossy controlling dick really knows what he is talking about. Maybe he is trying to help me and I should listen. But as a whole any aesthetic advantage gives players something to play around and experiment with or a way to display their epeen with pride without having to come off as dickish.

Bud's ideas are cool, I would add to that let people spend xp for armor dyes. Nothing worse than getting that cool piece of gear, and having it be some off color that just looks wrong. 5mil xp (or whatever) and I can make it match, hooray.

I would exp quite a bit to look like Halial the Blind permanently.

But I still think Ghetto Opus is the best idea ever

Last edited:
upon reaching 60 tomes you get a title? Would encourage players to exp more myself included! Seems only the elite have titles earned through fame.

Titles would be great. Fame is too hard to rely on, hardly seen. Would be a great alternative and a perk for playing the game.

put a few NPCs in that sell armor, weapons, consumables (potions, scrolls with single charges of a buff, scrolls with single charges of a port, etc) that would range in teirs.

Go up to NPC with and buy a tier 13 equivalent chest or weapon or whatever for 1 billion exp.

Back
Top Bottom