How are things?

duncandun

Dalayan Adventurer
I feel like I probably make these posts like twice a year, I don't remember the last time though.

How are things in Dalaya? I see 2.5 is quickly becoming a reality. Thats rad as hell guys.

My question, hows now for a good time to come play? should I jump on the 2.5 beta server? Is it accelerated in any way or is it completely normal?

ALSO, perfect 2 person 4 character party. I was thinking Bst, Monk, Enchanter, druid.

gonna try to get a friend of mine whos never played EQ, or has any inclination to do so, to play with me.

Thoughts?

Now is as good a time as any. I suggest playing on the love server for many reasons.

That group will be ok, port are certainly nice to have ;) you do pretty well with most any group of 4 at lower levels. All you need is a tank and that is a good 65 + group too.

Now is as good a time as any. I suggest playing on the love server for many reasons.

That group will be ok, port are certainly nice to have ;) you do pretty well with most any group of 4 at lower levels. All you need is a tank and that is a good 65 + group too.
Thats true, I was hoping it'd be good at 65+ as well, but I guess the Bst pet can't really hold aggro at that level and the monk would need a lot more gear to tank effectively...

hmmm maybe an SK instead of the BST, or monk?

also what do you mean by Love server.

ALSO, perfect 2 person 4 character party. I was thinking Bst, Monk, Enchanter, druid.

gonna try to get a friend of mine whos never played EQ, or has any inclination to do so, to play with me.

Thoughts?

There's a pretty recent thread that talked about ideal combinations.

http://forum.shardsofdalaya.com/threads/class-help.28937/

It really depends on what point in the game, aka leveling up, adepts, 65 or 65 at tier whatever.
Regardless though, depending on what you want I would have :
-Tank type (war/pal/sk)
-Healer type (dru/cle)
-Porter type (wiz/dru)

If you're just going to be doing a group of 4 and not grabbing anyone else to fill group then you would be lacking a real tank. If you want to roll this group then monk can fill in good as a tank so I would make one person be tank/healer and the other dps. It's a lot easier to gauge incoming damage to heal when you're the one tanking.

-Tank type (war/pal/sk)
-Healer type (dru/cle)
-Porter type (wiz/dru)
This is also an outstanding illustration of why, despite being hilariously underpowered, the ratio of druids : (all other classes combined) is like 5 : 1.

well that doesn't sound right, maybe underwhelming instead of underpowered.

I think he meant "live server"...

but if this supposed "Love server" does exist, it has both my attention and apprehension.
My excuse is that auto correct strikes again... nothing to see here...

It was mentioned that the same person should play the tank and healer because it is better. I box a tank and healer and other group members tend to not die as often during tough pulls when I box a dps and someone else boxes the healer. I can focus on agro they can focus on healing everyone, and when mobs are locked down I can swap to the dps.

I agree with Kedrin. Port are really nice until you hit x point (way down the road) and find that you wish you had a cleric. MoP + gate necks + gate wands.

MoP is amazingly easy to navigate and is usually faster than porting. For example getting to Cmal, MoP is fast then having a wizard already in your group and every succor point is in your favor. Also there is something crazy like 20+ port items in the game. The only character port that is helpful off the top of my head is the one to mistwoods to bind tomes and to get to ruins of the first city.

Ports are nice to have starting out but they definitely get less and less important as you progress. I think this is a great thing because it frees up classes from being balanced around the ability to port in end game.

MoP is amazingly easy to navigate and is usually faster than porting. For example getting to Cmal, MoP is fast then having a wizard already in your group and every succor point is in your favor. Also there is something crazy like 20+ port items in the game. The only character port that is helpful off the top of my head is the one to mistwoods to bind tomes and to get to ruins of the first city.

Ports are nice to have starting out but they definitely get less and less important as you progress. I think this is a great thing because it frees up classes from being balanced around the ability to port in end game.
Red Sun Peaks port is useful too. Kunark ports are super helpful so you don't have to stay bound in DL or murk (faction quests are super long to get the port items...MoP would be nice...)

Edit - ports are also nice to that one sea zone that you never go to after maps and faction Aug stuff is done. Not the one you zone to from mercy.

Last edited:
If you are in for the long haul picking Druid over Cleric is just silly. Everyone loves Clerics and rightfully so. As a druid you'll eventually end up with a spell bar full of heals still wishing you could heal like a Cleric. The same goes for other roles too- go big or go home. Rangers curb stomp DPS at a nice safe distance and even have some occasionally useful shit like heals and oh-shit-why-am-i-tanking stances. Tanks? Long story short is roll SK. You're welcome. That leaves a utility slot: boxes well = shaman, rare enough to be valuable = enchanter, or a bard if you want to have a weird box.

There's not really any foursome that is the best, what tier you're talking and what kind of group you're doing (mindless exp/cash farm vs harder stuff for quests or gear upgrades) matters a lot.

Low/mid tier druids who get the frog pet can heal just fine while providing pretty substantial dps and lots of utility.

Low/mid tier beastlords are also amazing because the pet gheal proc is very powerful at that level, cunning is always big, and with OP fists they're top shelf dps at that point.

Last edited:
ALSO said:
Cleric, SK, Mage, Wizard. THAT IS the best. Mage dps, ds, pet that can simi-tank, summoning everything, SK = great tank, fd, Wiz for ports/dps, Cleric = plain and simple (best healer).

Back
Top Bottom