Headmaster Zoldin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phrax

Dalayan Beginner
Headmaster Zoldin

Why is this guy on a 1 hour re spawn? It's too long. Especially for a lower level instance where the spawn time for everything else in the zone is under 13 min.

Nothing feels worse than getting leap frogged and having to wait another hour just for a low drop chance to get the illusion.

Suggestions:
Lower the respawn to 30 min
Make an alternative version of the euridite illusion drop somewhere else with just the illusion . No stats (no one wants it for the stats anyway).

Last edited:
I too wish the erudite illusion that tons of people want was slightly easier to acquire or perhaps even available elsewhere.

IMO it's balanced because you're guaranteed the named. I spent probably more time than would be considered reasonable looking for The Warden because she refused to pop somewhere in the region of 20-30 times. It was nice to get the Headmaster guaranteed while I was waiting. Unfortunately, I also rotted 8 robes.. but.. you know. One other consideration is that it gives plenty of time for a player or group that's on the weaker side to make their way to the end and complete the encounter. I'm not sure what happens when he repops, I'd assume it despawns the ghost version.

The illusion isn't really necessary. It's cool, which is why everyone wants it.

If you feel differently - that you *must* have it, it's a predictable timer, just keep trying. It's not cool to camp the whole zone, so if you're off killing other named and someone "leapfrogs" you as a result, it's kind of your bad there.

I'll say that people have a tendency to use the 1hr timer to camp chars off in the room specifically for the headmaster, logging in when they get the chance. I don't think anything's wrong with that so long as they don't log in while you're sitting there waiting and still try to snag him from you. May not be against the rules, but if you log out that is to me giving up the spot. Which, again, I do understand isn't a thing - but it's not a very cool move.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing something similar available via a quest or something you can do later. Generally, I'm not a big fan of time-gated things. You absolutely MUST do this before x level or else! Cesspits should still be the most accessible, but maybe someone's first char missed it, or a char that was created before the cesspits existed.

Last edited:
The illusion isn't really necessary. It's cool, which is why everyone wants it.

It's great for large races so they can shrink down to better fit in small dungeons and areas (trolls, orges etc). I'd dare say it's a utility.

If you feel differently - that you *must* have it, it's a predictable timer, just keep trying.

With a game that has hundreds of things to do in it for character progression, poop socking level 20 content (that's level capped) for days on end to get an item that is nowhere else in the game does not feel good for the new player experience.

Last edited:
Another suggestion. After you turn in the ashes of the headmaster and complete the quest, Franci provides you a follow up quest to go to warn/inform someone in Eurdin (near the charm vendor maybe) who will ultimately provide the new quest line for the illusion item. This accomplishes 2 things, getting new players acclimated to the charm vendor area and lore wise having Euridites in the same area for the illusion to be quested.

I am happy to provide lore, text dialog if needed.

It's great for large races so they can shrink down to better fit in small dungeons and areas (trolls, orges etc). I'd dare say it's a utility.

With a game that has hundreds of things to do in it for character progression, poop socking level 20 content (that's level capped) for days on end to get an item that is nowhere else in the game does not feel good for the new player experience.

there should be a certain amount of work for cool items. there are 2 illusion items that i can remember that fall into a similar category. The erudite mask and the dwarf ring. At this point people just plan accordingly.

new players: get yourself a shaman friend, a beastlord, enchanter, or a https://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Contracting_Choker

there should be a certain amount of work for cool items. there are 2 illusion items that i can remember that fall into a similar category. The erudite mask and the dwarf ring. At this point people just plan accordingly.

How much is too much work though before burnout on low level content?

It's good for small races to get over some huge stairs, too. There are other items you can get for this purpose, it doesn't have to be this specific one.

Off the top of my head there's a quest you can do in Kelethin, farming Eldenals, for a Wood Elf Illusion clicky. It even gives you Infravision! So, Erudite specifically is currently off the table if you don't get it while you're able, but for utility purposes there are other choices.

In the Season I actually EXP'd a char in Cesspits, killing the Headmaster when I could. The mobs were going grey before I was done, it wasn't great exp/hr, but I got the head and all the Newport Bounty Tokens.

I can imagine it would be pretty frustrating if you're basically EXP locked waiting on the head, but it's really not that hard to get, and you should consider going there earlier so you have something to do in the mean time. If you don't have much time, set an alarm for yourself like oldschool EQ camps and multitask. Heck, tradeskill or fish on another box while you're waiting. Whatever char it is at that point can easily solo the Headmaster.

I don't necessarily disagree but I think it does add flavor to have some chase items. I think a quest would be good for a similar item, but I don't think the existing item should necessarily be made more common/more accessible.

There's a weird mix of things like rare EXPable item drops and even Adepts for those who want to take their time and grab everything they can here. You could even argue the Headmaster is the easiest, most forgiving, Adept. TBH I'm surprised that anyone playing this server would have an issue with "poop socking" - especially such an easy camp.

TBH I'm surprised that anyone playing this server would have an issue with "poop socking" - especially such an easy camp.

Hence the feedback. I want to go out and do things but FOMO is stopping me from enjoying the rest of the game.

Hence the feedback. I want to go out and do things but FOMO is stopping me from enjoying the rest of the game.

i assure you that you wont be missing out because you didnt get an erudite illusion that has terrible night vision.

Let me just also add that lowering wouldnt hurt anything either.... i dont know what the right number is but this is just my opinion

I do understand the feeling of you have to farm this for each new character. But there is a certain level of excitement getting this chase item at low level. (Similar to the Frilakh mask). We can think on it.

I do understand the feeling of you have to farm this for each new character. But there is a certain level of excitement getting this chase item at low level. (Similar to the Frilakh mask). We can think on it.

Thank you. At least with the Frilakh mask you can go back and get it at a later level. Having a level restriction of 29 on cesspits makes it feel like you have no option but to be there until 29. I appreciate the responses.

I'm not sure if it makes sense but giving him potentially 2 of his 3 drops on death might be nice. Maybe even just as a chance occurrence. You're likely to see lots of dupes before you get what you're after, anyway, and there's a lot of rots.

It would be a step to reduce congestion a little bit I imagine.

Alternatively.. maybe his living form could have some of the loot added to his table? It's nice that he has such a broad range of drops, but you're probably going to have everything you need from the rest of the zone before you're done anyway, unless you show up last-minute and get lucky. You could argue of course that he's just a prerequisite mob and the real value was always from the Ghost, which is the main boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom