Get rid of ranger bird pet

Gargate

Dalayan Elder
Change the runic two and the whole bird pet line into a self buff that does basically the same thing just no pet and of course stacks with all current buffs.

I originally rolled a ranger because it didn't have a pet to bother with. Also in raids the pet dies easily and you can't stop to recast without losing a ton of dps on top of the dps lost by losing the bird.

Its not that it's hard to deal with the pet, just annoying.

Im not a ranger, but I know of rangers who also hate just how weak the pet is when it helps them so much with dps.

Last edited:
It seems pretty balanced to me? It is most likely intended where rangers can't avoid the pet dying, hence losing the dps. Seems if you didn't have to worry about that portion of the pet/buff, the buff would need to be scaled down to maintain the same overall dps.

Mages deal with the same problems, unless they made them AOE immune or something recently?

Maybe give them something to help keep pet alive.. ... Maybe change the awful laughable ranger hot to a decent but not op pet hot?

It seems pretty balanced to me? It is most likely intended where rangers can't avoid the pet dying, hence losing the dps. Seems if you didn't have to worry about that portion of the pet/buff, the buff would need to be scaled down to maintain the same overall dps.

Mages deal with the same problems, unless they made them AOE immune or something recently?
Shrug dunno, post T9 ranger dps starts to be left behind by the other dps classes (that's been said on the forums by multiple people over the years) I plan on parsing to see what the bird even does. It's almost to the point in most events you're better off using rogs, necros or wizards.

This is my last post in anything even related to suggestions, requests or even bug reports since apparently giving player feed back so maybe the game can be improved makes me a "complainer". They can account drive all they want but if the real problems still persist in the late game people just leave.

This is my last post in anything even related to suggestions, requests or even bug reports since apparently giving player feed back so maybe the game can be improved makes me a "complainer". They can account drive all they want but if the real problems still persist in the late game people just leave.

It's statements like this part that make you sound like a "complainer". Nothing wrong with the rest imo (with regards to bitchiness at least, heh), but remember that this stuff is your opinion.

Idk about the whole rangers falling behind post T9 thing at all though. Rangers do have their issues, what with the whole pay to play thing, but dps compared to other classes hasn't seemed like one of them, especially vs something like a rogue. Idk, maybe we've been reading different stuff.

Bird pet is one of the most frustrating things to deal with as a ranger because its a pretty significant damage and accuracy boost. If your group healer is a druid, there is essentially a 0% chance of your bird surviving on certain encounters which is very frustrating. Even if your groups healer is a cleric, the cleric pretty much has to gheal for the pet instead of any players in the group.

The bird pet is one of my frustrations that you deal with on a ranger at high tiers and it would be great if it could be alleviated in some way.

pVFNVUS.jpg

Rangers are pretty fine damage wise though? I mean there's legitimate complaints to be had about the class sure but 'they don't do enough damage' is really not one of them.

(ignore kedrin, I don't know what the hell happened there, maybe he was out of range for his damage or afk? hell if I know)

EDIT: add bard to upper thaz air sword #addbardtoupperthazairsword

There was talk at some point of make pets that weren't primary agro, secondary agro, or swarm pets avoid most raid/aoe damage unless the encounter was intended to damage them. I think changes were tested in turruj several months ago but had game breaking bugs.

pVFNVUS.jpg

Rangers are pretty fine damage wise though? I mean there's legitimate complaints to be had about the class sure but 'they don't do enough damage' is really not one of them.

(ignore kedrin, I don't know what the hell happened there, maybe he was out of range for his damage or afk? hell if I know)

EDIT: add bard to upper thaz air sword #addbardtoupperthazairsword
i looked at this parse more in depth and maybe kedrin just had bad arrows in? he had more bow shots than skaoli as well as more casts, but his average hit for both was noticeably lower and he missed quite a bit more. hard to say

Doesn't matter if your bird dies, as long as there's a bird debuffing the mob it still counts for anyone. It'd help to know what mob that parse was even from?
Could've been inflated w/ kick hits or something, which would also lower average hit count. Who knows.

It's statements like this part that make you sound like a "complainer". Nothing wrong with the rest imo (with regards to bitchiness at least, heh), but remember that this stuff is your opinion.

Idk about the whole rangers falling behind post T9 thing at all though. Rangers do have their issues, what with the whole pay to play thing, but dps compared to other classes hasn't seemed like one of them, especially vs something like a rogue. Idk, maybe we've been reading different stuff.

Rangers have not fallen behind anyone post T9, I honestly am surprised to hear anyone claim otherwise. Not only are they solid dps but they also are probably the most flexible and hands off dps class in the game. Having said that I really dislike the bird pet too, and I was pretty unhappy when it was introduced. Like did this game which has garbage pet control really need another class with a pet, not to mention its the most fragile pet of them all? Really though I mostly dislike the fact that ranger was pigeon holed into being nothing but an archer, and the bird just encourages that kind of play.

Well said. Both runics stick us in the archery position really, not just the bird. A viable melee option would be awesome.

yea, I always thought the old runic 2 was cool, giving rangers an option to AE dps through melee. Granted the old r2 was horribly tuned, the idea itself was cool. Its pretty unfortunate that bow dps is one of the most frustrating things in the game. Between the quiver thing, being very very heavily luck influenced, running in to glacial strike frequently gives the "Error: Out of Range" message and eats your cast, and quiver fuckery. Its also silly that rangers are thematically a dual wield class but their best melee dps options are 2handed weapons. The class is strong in 6 mans and raids, its just incredibly frustrating to play to the point that I've just stopped playing my ranger. The patch that nerfed clickies also significantly reduce the amount of interaction you have playing a ranger. Exposure used to be slightly more efficient than icerend, making it worth casting outside of once per minute for the debuff. Taesh ring added another small cooldown spell to weave in between bowshots and casts, same as the burning chunk. Without these minor interactions to keep track of, the class is reduced to slamming icerend on cooldown and praying that you don't get horrible luck on bowshots. It doesn't help that (at least in my opinion) Glacial strike won't be worth using until the spell is fixed to work consistently.

Back
Top Bottom