Fletching Revamp Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarutao

Staff Emeritus
List of things that have been done:

(1) Removed pretty much everything you need to do every combine for Fletching except for quest combines (read: Swiftshot)

(2) Added new components and new recipes for new arrows and new bows... and you should read the Item Lore on some of these items.... I made 297 items and put some amount of "Item Lore" for identifying on all of them.

(3) Added quivers... not the same functionality as Live.

(4) Added new books in-game to explain the new arrows and bows.

(5) Re-balanced Heartseeker and Nightmare arrows.

(6) Adjusted the Fletching skills of everyone on the server to 75%. This way, those who got their skills pre-revamp won't need to start over, and those who start Fletching post-revamp won't be spending more to get to an equivalent skill level.

Not yet, but soon:

(7) Two new quest bows. For now, that's all the information about those you're getting. WISPS ARE EVIL.

(8) Type 4 augs are still planned and hoped for. We just aren't going to hold up the rest of the Fletching Revamp for them.

------------

Known issues to be fixed:

(1) Quivers should hold large items. Fixed. Will be in next patch.

(2) Quiver Pattern price... don't hoard them in anticipation of them going up in price to 2 copper... the 3 platinum for hoarding 75 stacks of them just isn't worth the angryface admin. Fixed. Will be in next patch.

(3) Rebalance Burning Arrows. Fixed. Will be in next patch.

(4) Nightmare arrow recast time needs to be considered for lowering

------------

The new system is much more streamlined with a clearer sense of skill progression. Also, the arrows that can be made are much nicer and more interesting. Oh, and there's quivers, so there's that...

Anyway, bugs and things you think are bugs go here. Questions too, if they are intelligent. For that matter, crying can go here, but I'm turning a deaf ear to it.

Last edited:
Related note: The Fletching page on the wiki was gutted with tables prepared to be filled in with new information (and I'm absolutely not doing it so don't wait for that to happen.) Also, old fletching books were cast off into the great abyss of archived wiki data.

So, where would you like us to post about bugs found during tradeskilling? Found a couple but don't want to spam boards that shouldn't be.

On a different note, I got dummed down to skill level 83, not a big deal, but the fact that it costs 50P for 20 combines, and 60 combines per skill up at this level.. that just seems steep. Especially given that I can run a quiver out in a group, or kiting in a couple hours, if that. I realise that the components can't be dirt cheap, but as the main way for me to put out DMG, it feels too expensive, or at least scaled a bit too steeply.

Last edited:
first off: OMG I F**ING LOVE YOU TAO
I love how quivers work, it makes a lot of sense with the previous quiver of the mind and arrowmaking rig. I also love making magic arrows at a skill of 109 or so. But I found a bug, which was I cannot link bundle of glossy combat arrows, nor quiver of glossy combat arrows, which i found odd. I tried to click on the pic to link, but nothing happened. Worked just fine for large bundle of glossy combat arrows.

EDIT: also, the large bundle of glossy combat arrows dont have the clicky, and I can link the item. Is it intended for the large bundles not to have the clicky?

Last edited:
The only real problem I have is that now rangers are the ONLY class that HAS to trade skill to get the most out of their class. Now that you can make better arrows then you can summon every raiding ranger is going to have to plop down a bunch of plat just to reach where they were before the revamp. It'd be nice if you didn't make fletching so freaking expensive. It's going to be even worse if I can't consistently use arrows where the +4 bane damage works and am stuck with w/e other arrows there are.

I'm about to get my juggo, and now I'm going to have to keep farming after I get it just so I can waste money figuring out how to skill up in fletching.

Its not that bad, you can just sell your arrows to the rangers who *dont* want to plop down the plat to skill up fletching. Especially with quivers there, you buy 1k arrows in a convenient package that just takes up one bag slot. AND you can click it from you inventory, so you don't have to switch anything out. So buy a quiver from me, and be awesome.

The only real problem I have is that now rangers are the ONLY class that HAS to trade skill to get the most out of their class. Now that you can make better arrows then you can summon every raiding ranger is going to have to plop down a bunch of plat just to reach where they were before the revamp. It'd be nice if you didn't make fletching so freaking expensive. It's going to be even worse if I can't consistently use arrows where the +4 bane damage works and am stuck with w/e other arrows there are.

I'm about to get my juggo, and now I'm going to have to keep farming after I get it just so I can waste money figuring out how to skill up in fletching.

Top damage arrows have always been for optimal dps and not sustained dps. Isn't it to your benefit that you can now actually purchase arrows comparable to nightmare ones thus allowing you to keep up optimal damage for even longer if you want to plop down the cash?

Um, I don't use good arrows on most trash mobs. And I start summoning arrows 1-2 hours before raids so I always have enough. I'm not sure that its completely fair to burden a class with such a large platinum sink without any real alternative. It would be a different story if nightmare arrows were 7 or 8 damage. But right now I just lost 20% of my dps and there is no way to recoup that without spending a large amount of platinum and time.

Can you imagine the shitstorm if rogues had to do a knife making/sharpening tradeskill to backstab more effectively?

Um, I don't use good arrows on most trash mobs. And I start summoning arrows 1-2 hours before raids so I always have enough. I'm not sure that its completely fair to burden a class with such a large platinum sink without any real alternative. It would be a different story if nightmare arrows were 7 or 8 damage. But right now I just lost 20% of my dps and there is no way to recoup that without spending a large amount of platinum and time.

Can you imagine the shitstorm if rogues had to do a knife making/sharpening tradeskill to backstab more effectively?

For once i kinda agree with Driizz here. In order to be competitive with other DPS i needed heartseekers for trash while saving up nightmare for boss fights. I feel as though balance was achieved between the classes with the thought that rangers would always be using 8 and 9 damage arrows. Now to remain competitive we have to plunk down platinum (no other classes have to do that) to keep up the DPS we were used too. Couple that with the fact that for a ranger to put out decent DPS you need to hit range attack every 2 seconds my knee jerk reaction is to think this is bad news bears.

Obviously this is a brand new revamp so it will take time to get all the numbers in and really evaluate where rangers stand now in terms of DPS and platinum spent to maintain that DPS.

lol I don't even bow on trash if I'm boxing which has been 50% of the time.

But my main problem is yes there are arrows better than the 10 and 9+2 fire dmg arrows from quiver and ToT pre revamp, but you have to attain a very high skill in fletching just to get them.

Tradeskills should ALWAYS be an option. But to play a high end ranger and min/max, something every other class does NOT have to do a tradeskill to do, we now HAVE to do 170+(from what it seems) fletching just to get to where we were before the revamp. You could almost say this is a nerf to rangers in 6man content, as any ranger without a high fletching skill will do even less dps than a rogue or monk or necro would. And with 40-100 combines per skill up, thats a alot of useless arrows I am going to have to destroy.

I mean think if you made augs no drop. Every class would have to tailor/smith to make augs for themselves. And augs aren't even as essential to classes as high damage arrows are to rangers. And yes we can buy arrows from other players, but that leaves rangers who don't fletch at the mercy of the fletchers, something that wasn't a problem before.

You know you guys can melee on trash right?
/slack on :D

And I'm going to be honest, I would have done fletching anyways if you told me I could make better arrows than 9-11 dmg ones. You don't need to completely wreck summoned arrows just to get people to do fletching.

Last edited:
I mean don't get me wrong, I feel ranger pain regarding mashing a button constantly and having to pay out for arrows but I think overall this is a badass change just due to the availability of quality/varied arrows AND the space saving with a quiver. Maybe an argument could be made for adding arrow summon item in the higher tiers now too since nightmare arrows were put in their place. Like long recast but good enough stats compared to buyable that you'd use it when you could obtain it.

I mean don't get me wrong, I feel ranger pain regarding mashing a button constantly and having to pay out for arrows but I think overall this is a badass change just due to the availability of quality/varied arrows AND the space saving with a quiver. Maybe an argument could be made for adding arrow summon item in the higher tiers now too since nightmare arrows were put in their place. Like long recast but good enough stats compared to buyable that you'd use it when you could obtain it.

I agree its a badass change, but I'm the kind of person who resents authority, especially when they try to force things on you that only make more work for you.

Also possibly putting a summon arrow effect on http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Farhag_Standard_of_Leadership

2hour recast, summons a stack 8 or 9dmg+2fire dmg arrows, like what the bundle of hollow bones did.

Honestly, its not that much of a plat sink. If youre buying from somebody else, im pretty sure the max price for a QUIVER of 10 dmg arrows (thats 1000 arrows) is going to be around 1kpp, which is 20pp per stack, which is actually cheaper than the silver steel bodkin arrows. So stfu about price, and buy arrows from somebody else, which actually arent that expensive.

And before, you had to use fire opals (30pp each) for NO RENT 9 dmg arrows. so, about 7.5pp per stack, but they are NO RENT.

So seriously, stfu about price, its actually an insanely good revamp, and balanced everything out quite nicely

Honestly, its not that much of a plat sink. If youre buying from somebody else, im pretty sure the max price for a QUIVER of 10 dmg arrows (thats 1000 arrows) is going to be around 1kpp, which is 20pp per stack, which is actually cheaper than the silver steel bodkin arrows. So stfu about price, and buy arrows from somebody else, which actually arent that expensive.

And before, you had to use fire opals (30pp each) for NO RENT 9 dmg arrows. so, about 7.5pp per stack, but they are NO RENT.

So seriously, stfu about price, its actually an insanely good revamp, and balanced everything out quite nicely

I had to spend 0 platinum to summon 10 dmg arrows myself, and 0 platinum to get 9+2dmg arrows from ToT

Mostly I am bothered by the fact that a single class is being made to do a TS and that there are gonna be 800-1200 arrows per skill up that I will not be using. Also the fact that 1000arrows is 1850 arrows with my AAs, that is more arrows than I would use in a week and while its nice for lower levels I really am not that excited about it.

Last edited:
but you had to raid for those. These you spend 300pp (on my listsold) for 7dmg arrow quivers, and youre set for a long ass time. Especially since you have a ballista, you arent gonna eat arrows.

I think you're just arguing on principle, not on the fact of the matter, which is arrows are fucking cheap, and cheaper than they used to be. This allows any ranger to have nice arrows, because we all know halial was pretty much perma camped, and half the high-tier rangers don't have a quiver of the mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom