Fix for not being able to Alt-Tab in EQW

Elysium

Dalayan Adventurer
Install ACT (Application Compatibility Toolkit) from either the Windows XP CD, located in the Support\Tools Directory, or it can be downloaded from the following link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/.NetStandardServer/Install/2.6/NT5XP/EN-US/act26.exe

Install it, then run Compatibility Administration Tool.

Look for Ever+Quest. (Plus in the middle to avoid filter)

Right click on eqgame.exe, and select Disable Entry.

Congrats, now you can Alt-Tab in Windows XP w/EQWindows!

Taken from: http://www.eqwindows.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=12

I am such a failure I don't know if its the fact I haven't eaten all day or I am just admiring this burger I got from a bar because its the best dang thing I have ever had. I can't seem to find eqgame.exe or anything using this program like how am I supposed to do it?

Using Alt+Tab to switch windows can be dangerous: Tab selects yourself and you can lose your target (bad for a bot'd chain cleric especially!).

I use Ctrl+Alt and it's pretty easy after a little while of getting used to the change.
In your eqw.ini file the line reading:
EQWSwitch=Ctrl Alt
can be edited to your choice of keys...

ps. If you DC and you use 2 seperate patchers/game dirs, make sure you edit both eqw.ini files...

Er Alt tab lets you alternate windows even after zoning with a character... For me it works as follow :
-I zone with PlayerA , if I hit Ctrl X (my equivalent to ctrl alt for you) it doesnt switch to player B, I need not to be zoning.
-I zone with PlayerA , if I hit Alt Tab (after the ACT thingie or, if I understand correctly, after you install WinSP2) it can switch to PlayerB

Don't know how it works on other PCs.

That's true, and I Alt+Tab when needed (which is basically only when zoning/loading). I still feel that losing your target sometimes by using the Alt+Tab ranges from annoying to serious enough to wipe a raid...

It's worth getting Alt+Tab working if it doesn't; but using it for regular window switches isn't ideal :)

Yeah it's annoying, but you can always just change the controls ingame so that Tab doesn't change your target. Problem fixed, unless you can't stand pressing F1 instead of Tab to target yourself for some reason.

Back on the subject, I noticed after a lil while I never target myself when hitting alt-tab...that's weird that you have this problem Phlit (of course I indeed have tab to target myself) . Do you just have XPSP2 installed or used the ACT workaround or another option ?

also depending on what operating system your using you may have to use crtl + R . this will work on windows. as it will free your mouse so you can scitch screens it alt + tab pulls up a nother program. hope that this might help you.

Dzillon said:
index.php

Not to derail, but inc derail *grin* ...

I LOVE your avatar!! =D

Yumanye said:
I am such a failure I don't know if its the fact I haven't eaten all day or I am just admiring this burger I got from a bar because its the best dang thing I have ever had. I can't seem to find eqgame.exe or anything using this program like how am I supposed to do it?

I'm having the same issue I cannot find ever - quest or eqgame.exe. :psyduck:

Found this at eqwindows.com for the people that cannot find eqgame or everquest.
First download:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/6/f/a6f42077-eae3-4d4c-8df6-7ac402594127/act30pkg.exe

Run the exe-file and you will install three programs.

The program -Compatibility Administrator Tool 3.0- is the one you will use.

Open it and and you will find a weard looking program.

To the left you will se a tree....look under System Database/Applications and you will find Everquest.

Left click on it and an other tree will show up on the right.

Right click on the first one (eqgame.exe) and you will find out that you can do three things (copy, Disable entry and Run program).

Choose Disable entry and you will get a red mark on the eqgame.exe icon.

I've tried ACT 3.0 which I have archived, and downloaded the new 5.0, and in neither case can I find "The Game" in the tree of programs. I've used ACT in the past, thus why I have it archived. I'm dumbfounded as to why I can't find it now, although this is a new box and I haven't had it working before. I've tried upgrading to service pack 2, I have dual core optimizers installed, I've reduced my desktop colors to 16 bit.

I've followed the instructions found here:

http://eqwindows.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=12&start=60&sid=e351eef7a15eaf1e810075213d00a01a

But for some reason, after I create the fix and save it, then close ACT, then reopen it, the fix under the custom database is not shown. And I still have the same problem. After I run the SoD patcher then click Start EQ, it goes to the EULA screen. At that point I can move my mouse around and see it, but I can't click accept to get past the screen. And at this point, I can't even alt tab out of this screen and I have to do a hard reboot. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom