Enchanter CC

Paxit

Dalayan Elder
I played Enchanter on Live for a very long time (98-07) Crowd Control was an integral part of the game for the first 3 years or so and then tanks became so powerful that the duty shifted to offtanking and mass AE crowd control and many mobs dev'd had mezz immunity. Such is the case here in SoD either its immune to mezz or its immune to charm or both. Thus the Chanter is reduced to raid botted buffs and curses and very little groupage time. I propose a new mechanic for enchanters via a spell line or AA.

Phasing !

Very much like the voideyes in cmal , and phase golem in prison. Removing the mob from the game for a short period of time (possibly extended via tome/or focus). It would make for some interesting gameplay with mobs popping in and out of the game bringing the chanter back with a breath of new life in groups and raids and new strats. Im sure players would find a way to abuse it but done properly and correct side-effects and adjustments as they do I think it might be worth discussing here.

Is it Doable dev wise? With Balance of course.

If your enchanter has nothing to do in an expgroup/raid they are being bad. Yes there are raids where i dont mem a mez because it isnt needed, but there is an entire tier10 12man zone(Abyss) balanced around having an enchanter to carry you. I do not want another spell to fill my already full spell bar that fills absolutely no purpose at all. This is just a mezz spell with flavor. If you would like me to list all the reasons enchanters are fine and all the things they do and how hard they carry the healers with raidrune(lolphantomstrikes) i will. Enchanters need absolutely nothing added to them.

the problem is that unlike heals there is really only 1 and a half classes that can mez on sod, so if you build content that requires mez it means you always have to carry 1 of 14 classes with you. I think if they gave other casters some form of crowd control so that you had some more options on group building then you would see more mez friendly content. Like how in wow rogues can sap and necros can use a certain pet to seduce etc.

Having said that there is still a ton of content where bringing an enchanter with mez loaded will make your day a lot better, like emberflow or the deep.

End game content requires a chanter mezzing, and it helps to have a necro to back stop.

Thanks Slaariel and Marza.

(Until the ranger breaks it and casters end up all over the ceiling. Silly rangers )

Regardless of your love for enchanter class , the facts still remain that its a class that is not mained enough in SoD in groups or raids on regular basis. Several classes have undergon changes to flavor gameplay. I wouldnt Just throw it out the window because of the love for mezz or charm. I dont propose taking anything away from the game its additional mechanics and strats and well ..... FUN.

The phasing idea is neat, but seems really hard (or impossible) to balance and prevent exploits and bugs and whatnot...

Beyond that, my experience with enchanters is mostly very good. There some 6 mans they will be bad at on-tier, but that goes for all non-core-6man classes. IDK why people don't main them more.

Regardless of your love for enchanter class , the facts still remain that its a class that is not mained enough in SoD in groups or raids on regular basis. Several classes have undergon changes to flavor gameplay. I wouldnt Just throw it out the window because of the love for mezz or charm. I dont propose taking anything away from the game its additional mechanics and strats and well ..... FUN.

The class not being mained more doesn't mean it's not good though.

The phasing idea is neat, but seems really hard (or impossible) to balance and prevent exploits and bugs and whatnot...
The first thing I would do would be to exploit the hell out of this so it can get changed and not on my already full spellbar.
Jotigidou said:
The class not being mained more doesn't mean it's not good though.
This x100. The class is so powerful already that they need nothing added to them.

Thats just such a horrible reply Tevinter and wrong on so many fronts. No one will indian burn your arm untill ya use a certain spell trust me. As for exploiting, im sure many try and on many different things and the staff will hopefully be able to keep up with them all. Adding it into a existing spell line also is a option not discussed yet. The advent of Whirlwind , rampage , Ae rains , pbaoe dmg spells , etc really does require something for the average enchanter player to do CC wise , not just your endgame content that requires mezzing.

Adding it into a existing spell line also is a option not discussed yet.
Even if it was, it still takes up a spell slot which enchanters dont really have any to spare. But if mobs were meant to be CC'd instead of offtanked, they would already have been made to be rootable/kitable/mezzable/charmable/ etc. I guess phazing would be useful if an already CC'able mob can be phazed and moving mobs out of rain/pbaoe range is too hard.

The class is literally required on many high end encounters and does middling DPS (like maybe 600 at the high end, and that's without a charm pet) using Somatic Bond and/or Avatar of Destruction (Runic 1). At low tier you can mostly just use them to buffbot, though, and that's probably what you're talking about in this thread. Not many low end things that require enchanters. Earliest thing I can think of is Farguziar in Inner Prison and that's sort of mid-end.

It would be nice if more zones had charmable things to boost their dps I guess but I don't really think you "get" how enchanters are used in SoD. I think enchanters would be played even less if you had to mez in a large amount of content because that is not very fun.

It would be nice if more zones had charmable things to boost their dps I guess but I don't really think you "get" how enchanters are used in SoD. I think enchanters would be played even less if you had to mez in a large amount of content because that is not very fun.
This post sums up my feelings in a much more constructed way. Mezzing things isnt really that hard to do and alot of the time its annoying to keep 1-2 mobs mezzed through a fight(mez mitigation is gay, mashing mez on 1 mob is real hard and engaging)

Charming things is cool and fun except when you get chain resisted because RNG doesnt like you and a 600 dps(while charmed) pet is eating your face.

AoD and GoG are both really good dps and depending on raid setup/luck i can parse from 600-1000 dps. Making people darkelves/iksar/iksarskeletons is fun too. RIP Giants throwing arrows

Enchanters are also incredible in raids(rune/vex/dampening/curses/gog/requiredbuffs/ sharedmind) They also are pretty cool in exp groups and really good in emberflow. (really good in emberflow, like completely trivialize good)

TLDR; Enchanters are already really good and cool, they dont need nothin

Back
Top Bottom