Don't know where to put this but...

Lleoc

Dalayan Master
Looking for people who would be interested in playing characters through group content in the game with minimal help from our old characters or ringers. We'd have to do most of everything as a group to start off including main quests and starfall and stuff so it's important that if you want to do this you have a few hours a night to put into it.

The group makeup we had in mind is something along the lines of war/cleric/monk/bard/necro/rogue and i have 2 people interested already. I intend to play cleric and maybe the tank as well and the other two are necro and tank or bard so the options are a bit limited on what's available but those details can be sorted if i get enough interest. We will use fresh characters and pl them to 60-65.

As far as things that are off limits we won't use ringers to complete quests/gear outside of the group because that defeats the whole purpose of doing it. Buffs are most likely going to be allowed because playing SoD without buffs is awful, however the hp buffs may prove to trivialize early game so that's open for discussion. Using jb/goe/ds is just going to be allowed.

Some form of starter charm may be purchased from old characters money but as far as what level of charm it needs to be limited for sure. That sort of thing should be discussed if we find more people interested. Another starting thing that's important are spells and so far what we've discussed is along the lines of starting off with vendor spells only. However if we come to a point where a crucial spell hasn't dropped in a while and we need the spell to start our next stage of progress then we will just procure it from our mains or what ever. This is for tradeable spells only considering the vast rng you could have to deal with, whereas relics may screw you for the first 4 but the 5th one will always be the last one.

Anyway I spent too much time and kind of lost track of some things but mostly wanted to give an outline of what I want to do. If you're interested feel free to say something we'll sort out more details if we have people interested.

This sounds like fun, but my play time is very limited right now. My wife and I both like doing this sort of thing though - it's how our old guild (Novus Ordinatum) got started.

This sounds both awful and interesting. I don't have ten hours a day to play during the week anymore but it if it's a few hours a night and at a reasonable hour i could play something. i can go hard on weekends though.

ps - don't let yuttas play apper.

what time are you all playing each night? i usually play late west coast time (9 to 12).

i leveled three or four characters to 65 in sod but never really raided.

Lleoc, come level toons with us on Phinni. This server is done. We have a Facebook group or you can login @ our forum for more info. etherealsod.proboards.com

This shitter group has actually been the most fun i've had on eq in a while. I'm sure it'll fizzle out eventually but it's definitely more fun than i ever had on phinny. That server is just too easy except for the leveling grind which is awful.

I don't find the grind to be too much. The exp rates are slower than the previous progression servers, but seem to be inline with SoD rate, IMO. Also, Planes of Power drops in a month and should be for some fun raiding. What in particular do you find too easy?

my phinigel experience was pretty bad, cast buffs and literally walk away from the keyboard to go do something more fun while my group exps. even if i charmed a pet i had zero chance of dying, even if the healer/tank/everyone was afk. my near naked enchanter had like 1400 hp unbuffed, was pretty ridiculous. the game feels like characters are way overtuned. spells land really easily, characters have too much hp/mana/regen/dps, mobs seem pretty weak. from what i've head from fendyr, they did not wipe while raiding for literal months.

dying in classic everquest is pretty difficult already, and phinigel is classic everquest with training wheels and foam padding.

EDIT: i almost forgot about the RMT and multiboxing

Some of the game mechanics have been tweaked a little bit, but I've not experienced what you say. Were you buffed up to 1400 HP? What level were you? I think my lvl 45 monk has less than 2000 HP with decent gear.

dying in classic everquest is pretty difficult already, and phinigel is classic everquest with training wheels and foam padding.

The server isn't some gravy train like EZ server. You can and will die in EXP groups. Its also doesn't have horrific penalties for death like classic. I think its pretty well balanced.

Dying on SoD and Phinigel are almost the same. No body to retrieve. You lose exp instead of gain debt, Phinny vs SoD.

It should also be noted that raid mobs have higher melee and spell mitigation on this server vs back in the day (40% IIRC).

Boxing is permitted, but I find it to be rare in exp groups. RMT exists everywhere, including SoD.

eq000031.jpg

level 21 druid, 543 HPs

Basically the things tev said plus raid instance trivialing gearing. There's so much gear that you walk into the next expansion with your raid force decked out in bis gear and faceroll everything. My guild did our first vt clear in 4.5 hours with zero wipes. That really shouldn't be possible at the start of luclin with no luclin gear. Don't get me wrong, i played a ton of phinny for several months and did have fun. You'll just eventually get to a point where you feel like you're a sod tier 13 char running around in kaesora because it gets very easy.

Some of the game mechanics have been tweaked a little bit, but I've not experienced what you say. Were you buffed up to 1400 HP? What level were you? I think my lvl 45 monk has less than 2000 HP with decent gear.

The server isn't some gravy train like EZ server. You can and will die in EXP groups. Its also doesn't have horrific penalties for death like classic. I think its pretty well balanced.

Dying on SoD and Phinigel are almost the same. No body to retrieve. You lose exp instead of gain debt, Phinny vs SoD.

It should also be noted that raid mobs have higher melee and spell mitigation on this server vs back in the day (40% IIRC).

Boxing is permitted, but I find it to be rare in exp groups. RMT exists everywhere, including SoD.
I had an enchanter somewhere between level 48-50 and I dont think I ever came close to dying while exping, Even with 40% mitigation, it doesnt matter much when you have characters doing 1.5-2.5x more damage than they should be. I agree that RMT exists everywhere, but its incredibly rampant and promoted on phinigel which is pretty lame to me.

this little SoD self-found excursion has proved pretty entertaining, im pretty surprised about what we're capable of despite everyone being level 62 with less than 10 AAs and being mostly naked.

It doesnt matter much when you have characters doing 1.5-2.5x more damage than they should be.

I find this to be greatly exaggerated.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to shit on your group thing you have going.

I find this to be greatly exaggerated.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to shit on your group thing you have going.
i dont have tons of parse data from phinigel, but i see monks using epic fists doing upwards of 200DPS with capped STR and no avatar, which seems to be pretty grossly inflated to me. This is considering that monks with avatar and endgame velious weapons will struggle to even push 100DPS. I think it has something to do with epic fist on phinigel being busted and having a ratio of like 26/22 or something nuts like that. Maybe I'm underestimating the power of AAs though.

Somebody gave mine away for me!

I think that some will find it more rewarding to leave this game on their own terms and get established elsewhere. The alternative is playing on a vacant server, dreading the day that it stops working.

I only played to level 40 on ragefire with tapein, it was pretty fun even though it was clearly not classic. Phinny sounded cool but I am late to the party now and I have no friends. Is instancing that big of an issue when you've done the whole raid content contesting thing in the past for days on days upon your life.

Its not too late. One month till PoP, then you get PoP for 3 months, after that LDoN for 3 months. Six months of the best EQ era (IMO). I agree on the instancing. I've paid my dues, I don't want to go through the whole bat phone/poop sock for raid mobs anymore.

Ethereal is recruiting.

Lets talk more about how Phinny is too easy. Meanwhile, lets go to SoD and AoE tank a whole zone with a paladin for exp.

Back
Top Bottom