Disappointed

My tip is: listen to the GMs, the Devs, the experienced players, and nearly everyone on this server when they tell you that paladins are kickass. Don't listen to, say, Eleazer (Goldfolk), whose expectations when going LFG were laughable before he joined a high powered guild that, well, power geared him.

I don't main a paladin, but I have had a blast playing my alt pally to level 50 without buying any gear whatsoever -- and that is before paladins get any AE aggro spells whatsoever. When doing Very Easy, Easy, Moderate, and Difficult Tmaps (which are great to do casually with friends), I want a paladin tanking first and foremost. If you're looking to do Very Difficult and Extremely difficult maps, then it's probably best if you're guilded anyway. If you really are just looking to play for fun, then a paladin is fun for sure.

You know this comes up in every MMO. No one likes being nerfed. I have found the people who complain the most about it, never play the other classes of that type. If you haven't played all the classes to max level, then you really can't complain with the Devs make a game balancing decision.

"AE aggo". I've heard that before but, in all seriousness, how is that a defining ability? Seems like a rather limited use function... certainly not something I would base adding someone to a raid for. It's certainly not a niche from my perspective.

This ability is very useful during raids. On some encounters, trash will spawn while engaging the boss. It is almost necessary to have a Paladin to grab the aggro on the trash before they start killing casters. It is almost a requirement to have a Paladin in some of these engagements. Not many classes have fights for which they are required. I can assure you that no encounters require a beastlord!!

And Paladins off tank fine, except on magic-resistent creatures.

Have hope. I think the changes will need to be fine tuned, but the devs are probably monitoring it closely. The class is still highly desirable in raids. Moreso than shadow knights in my opinion.

To those of you who took the time to understand my posts and the context, thank you for giving me a level response. I think after reading some of your posts I have a better perspective. I'm starting to see that maybe the complaints are from a vocal few (which explains the lack of hard data pointing out any issues that I mentioned earlier) and not from the general player base.

Some of you failed to notice that I am not speaking from a position of complete ignorance of the game, only of the nuances applied in THIS environment. Always consider the source and their context when reading a post. Possibly assume that the person may be speaking not from an emotional position but from one of genuine interest. If not, go ahead and pick apart my (and anyone else's) post out of context. You seem to enjoy it and I wouldn't want to spoil your fun.

To the developers, I do not assume you make changes to favor or piss off a given class. I figure you guys do what you do because you enjoy it (most of the time) and you want to share it. I appreciate your efforts at trying to keep the game balanced even if I disagree with you on a point or two.

By the way, I also like to play a druid. You've got my input there to look forward to as well. :p

You are making many assumptions that you could dispel by doing a /who all of the major raid guilds during raid time. You are welcome to make arguments that paladins are missing out on some sort of overarching class paradigm but saying that paladins are being under represented in raids or groups is just plain false. Raid leaders on the whole include at least one paladin at raids. Paladins in groups up until these nerfs were overwhelmingly the choice in groups.

After these changes? I do not see that changing too much.

Of course, paladins inclusion in guilds til now is historical meaning that they were added before you guys made these changes. I think the telling evidence will be doing a /who all of the major raiding guilds in a couple of months when they've all had time to digest the effect of the nerfs to the class. ;)

Of course, paladins inclusion in guilds til now is historical meaning that they were added before you guys made these changes. I think the telling evidence will be doing a /who all of the major raiding guilds in a couple of months when they've all had time to digest the effect of the nerfs to the class. ;)

The change reduced their 1h dps. No guild had a pally because of their DPS.... :psyduck:

The change reduced their 1h dps. No guild had a pally because of their DPS.... :psyduck:

Well yes and no. Guilds do have Paladins for their aggro generation and melee dps accounts for some of that. I think Cyz has a great solution, but for now the aggro generation of Paladins is reduced.

I don't think any guilds are choosing to not bring their Paladin along, but yes, it did indeed have an impact on the class's primary purpose.

This is a blanket statement that that shows little appreciation for the value of dps.

What would you say a guild has a paladin for then sir, tanking? Warriors are obviously better there, and thus by the same blanket logic paladins are useless.

The truth is, all classes are a combination of attributes, and dps is one of them.

What would you say a guild has a paladin for then sir, tanking?
I think you know the answer to this. AE aggro + off-tank. And when not needed for that the Paladin is aux tanking, throwing out a buff, group healing, and ready to take over if a missed heal causes the Warrior to die. And yes, he is doing some dps, but it is not have much of a noticable impact either pre-nerf or post-nerf. If it really is about DPS, why bother with a Paladin at all? Just bring another rogue or ranger.
The truth is, all classes are a combination of attributes, and dps is one of them.
Agreed. But I think one should choose their fights. I just don't think this is a good fight for Paladins.

Back
Top Bottom