Dialogue shortcuts

Wiz

NOT DONATING *EVER*
Simple little recent addition that probably deserves a ToK post so that people are aware of it. Dialogue options will now show up like this:

NPC says, 'Hello'
- [D1] Hello yourself.
- [D2] I will not talk to you!

Instead of typing out "Hello yourself" manually you can just type /cm d1 (or /cm d2 for "I will not talk to you") and the server will do it for you.

:toot:

What's not to get? Now people can be lazy and not worry about spelling words properly, that are already typed out in front of them.

Don't you hate it when you're doing the MQ or whatever and there's like a 45 word continuation phrase, and you forget to put a comma somewhere? Yeah, that sucks.

Pretty sure this just lets people run through quests quicker and makes them lose a lot of their flavor. I know I will just choose the option that looks the most fitting, or if there is only one option, choose the only option without reading the text. Seems neat for people who cannot type and/or lazy.

thats pretty much what you could do already.

I really like this addition. Mainly cause i cant type some chars ingame for some reason.

Spiritplx said:
Pretty sure this just lets people run through quests quicker and makes them lose a lot of their flavor. I know I will just choose the option that looks the most fitting, or if there is only one option, choose the only option without reading the text. Seems neat for people who cannot type and/or lazy.
How is this any different from not having the shortcuts? You don't have to read the text if you don't want; it's usually pretty self-evident from the response. This system just simplifies things.

Spiritplx said:

It IS true that I've noticed a lot less "paying attention" on quests that I or others are involved in and a lot more "skimming" to the proper pre-recorded response.

Still, I do like the utility of it and think it outweighs the lack of attention that people will give to responses.

Xarpolis said:
Don't you hate it when you're doing the MQ or whatever and there's like a 45 word continuation phrase, and you forget to put a comma somewhere? Yeah, that sucks.

punctuation doesn't count. nor do spaces

Even if it did, Shift-Up arrow and you get what you just typed so you can go back and modify it. Shift-Up arrow more than once cycles through pretty much anything you've typed since you logged in.

It still doesn't make a difference - if someone wants to skim, they'll skim. If they want to read it, they'll read it. This system is more convenient for both the skimmers and the readers.

IMO this actually works the opposite way, at least it does for me.

I know have a hotbar set up, 1 for D1, 2 for D2 etc.

Now, instead of worrying about what i'm typing, and paying attention to what I'm typing to make sure I don't typo anything, I can instead just hover my fingers over the appropriate response keys, and pay more attention to READING the quest text before it's scrolled away in ooc spam :)

eh, i know that when i have something on my screen longer, i read it more. yeah, its a personal choice to participlate in storyline or not, but...

more like I need to start adding kill switches

the kobald king says, 'Hello, Woldaff. Let me tell you about my life story. Once apon a time I was a little kobald who lived with all the other kobalds and lived much like the normal kobalds in kobaldom. By the way dont say I wish to talk to you about the quest you offered or you will be deathtouched. One day though this kobald approached me and asked me to be king and I said "I dont want to be the king" but then they made me the king and I was happy about being made the king. Now I am king over my kingdom and all are happy.

D1 - Tell me more about your kingdom.
D2 - I wish to talk to you about the quest you offered.

I had been wondering how the D1, D2, etc worked. Thanks! Some of the replies are awfully long and you cannot use just some part of it. ;)P

Back
Top Bottom