Deepmetal Weapons

lynnettell

Dalayan Elder
I'll be quite honest in saying that myself & every other smith that I've talked to on the server are so disappointed in these items. While I understand the intent, the vendor price is entirely too low (below the cost to make them) and the stats compared to what you can buy for what they're truly worth are.... kinda bad. This will probably turn into a smithing rant in general, but hey, it's the first tradeskill (outside of mining & brewing) that I maxxed.

Searing Deepmetal Truncheon
MAGIC ITEM
Slot: PRIMARY
Skill: 1H Blunt Atk Delay: 20
DMG: 17
Effect: Fire (Combat)
STA: +5 WIS: +5 MANA: +50
Recommended Level of: 40
Weight: 3.0 Size: Medium
Class: CLR DRU SHM
Race: ALL

Now, this honestly looks like a very nice recommended level 40 weapon. Until you get into the difficulty of not only maxxing smithing (and mining, and brewing, and pottery to make glass vials), but getting the items. It's pretty much a copy & paste of Torment Forged, which is actually *less* expensive to make (get to that in a second).

Torment-Forged Hammer
[MAGIC ITEM] [BIND ON EQUIP] [PRISTINE]
Slot: Secondary
Skill: 1H Blunt Atk Delay: 20 (18)
DMG: 12
This item is made with tradeskills.
Effect: Surge of Torment (Melee Proc, 2.5%)
STA: +5 (6) HP: +50 (55)
Recommended level of 40.
WT: 3.0 Size: Medium
Class: WAR RNG BRD ROG
Race: ALL

Now, I'll not spoil the entire recipe, but let's compare basics.

DM weapon requires
Deepmetal ingot
-Molten core
-- lava dust
-- essence of fire x 2
-- LIQUID GOLD (yes, that alone is ~112pp from vendor)
-Deepmetal ore (oh, hey, yeah, it's still an approx 2% mine rate, so really sucks to mine)
Twisted ingot
-- Cheap recipe ~15pp
-- Twisted ore - Rare drop from trash in Torment
Burning elemental aura
-- super rare drop
Other random stuff including tempering

Yet this weapon vendors for exactly the same (246pp) as the Torment Forged, which is basically 2 of the Twisted ore cheap recipe things, plus random vendor bought items. And you don't have to have almost max brewing to do twisted ore.

I am entirely in agreement that smithing needs updated. The items made any more at high level are pretty much A. Cost prohibitive for anyone who would normally buy them. B. Such a PITA to do that I don't even craft Deepmetal anymore on request, since I don't have the hours & hours to spend mining to keep a listsold stocked. Yes, yes, I know a couple people still do, but again, it is literally HOURS (3-4) to get 1 stack (20 ore).

As far as the weapons, I think with just a couple of tweaks, they would rock.

1 - Up the drop rate of the aura. Granted, I don't live in FR since the zone is usually camped by people waiting on Rohk spawn, but spent a couple nights clearing the entire area 2-3 times (so probably 4-6 kills of every elemental) and got ONE aura.

2 - Give the stats a bump or something. My first thought is put 1 FT on it. That's going to benefit the intended range of characters more than throwing resists, etc., at it.

3 - I'm torn on the Fire proc. Part of me screams, "WTF?! An AE on a weapon for squishies (since the piercer is for wiz, enc, necro, mage & has the same stats)," and the other part thinks, "Hrm, if they're mezzing mobs, those folks shouldn't be raining or AEing anyway..."

4 - Up the freaking deepmetal mining %. Ghost & warp honestly need a bump as well (they parse at 7-8.5%), but Deepmetal = 2.25 & 2.1 % the last couple times I parsed it. I can remember being super bored & parsing a lot, and never got above 3%. So, out of 100 swings, with approximate time per swing of 10-15 seconds, even sitting there mashing the pick over & over.. in 15-20 minutes, you *might* have 2-3 ore. Or RNG hates on ya, and you sit there for an hour, get 500 rocks, then four ore in 15 minutes. This is not only for the weapons, this is for the armor as well. I'd rather sit & mine ghost or warp than I would deepmetal and just make augs rather than the armor. Time spent versus profit > for augs than armor.

5 - Give an alternative to Twisted Ore. Hell, you're revamping DFS, maybe it could be a random drop in there as well. I have tracked PoTorment and it's down more than it's up, and know *I* can easily take a group (or less) up there to clear trash, but if you're looking at improving a tradeskill or add an item, most new smiths aren't going to capable of doing so. So their options are slim.

I'd be happy to PM Slaar or whoever with actual cost breakdowns of everything in hopes of getting these weapons (and possibly armor?) tweaked a little. Tradeskill items *should* be hard to make at high level, but the items should also reflect that.

Wait in line fix enchanting first. EVERY THING gets vendered except augs.
Any how just another side effect of Iki gear raising the bottom line.

Once again, I thought the idea was *affordable* weapons for the level of characters. You start putting in the cost of buying ore, lava dust, essence of fire, etc., you're looking at approximately 2.5-3 times the vendor cost just to make it. So the weapon would be in the 1.2-1.5kish range, and for the stats, it's not even close to that.

EDIT: This is a brand new combine, not something that has been around for ages like Torment Forged that few even bother to make *it*. So I'm not asking for a revamp like enchanting (which, BTW, stuff does get sold, and I know it does because I end up having to log on my jeweler every time someone is searching for something, and I'm sure other jewelers who bother to stock platinum X jewelry and keep selling it can confirm).

Last edited:
Not to make anyone upset but the truncheon is a caster weapon and the other is an off hand melee weapon....

It's on my radar, I've just been slow about getting SoD tradeskill changes done this semester.

Have to agree I was very excited to make these new weapons, but the deepmetal ones really disappointed after the difficulty and cost to make them. With the proc and lack of stats they seem targeted towards actually using as weapons, which I thought was fun - but the proc was weakened and rate was low.

I think the deepmetal weapons should be a rec level 50+ with the reagents being from PoT and first ruins and change the proc to firestrike or something on par with an increased rate to make it more viable.

They're an awesome idea and fun lore but right now there isn't much reason to make/buy them over buying something common and better for the same cost.

As I mentioned about the bottom line of weps moving up. I actually don't recall any one ever using Deepmetal weapons other then the shield.

I can agree with reducing the items needed to make the weapons or improve their stats.

As I mentioned about the bottom line of weps moving up. I actually don't recall any one ever using Deepmetal weapons other then the shield.
That is because deepmetal weapons never existed prior to this.

Back
Top Bottom