Dark Souls 2

fxattack

Dalayan Elder
...comes out this Tuesday, March 11 (console versions). If you're grabbing it for PS3 then hit me up for jolly cooperation. (psn: theechrisfox) Here is a little more information about the game (source):

"Dark Souls II is a Dark Fantasy RPG Centered around tense dungeon exploration and a difficult, satisfying challenges.

In addition to the normal appeals of growth and discovery that RPGs provide, Dark Souls II aims to give the player a sense of accomplishment. The serious dangers in the game fosters greater verisimilitude and more immersion in the world of this Action Adventure.

Another Hallmark of the series - Its simple system for sharing your world with other players online - Returns better than ever in Dark Souls II with the introduction of dedicated game servers, resulting in a smoother multiplayer experience. Without any need for words you can bring another player into your adventure experience."

I played the first one, and let me say i wanted to rip my eyes out when i first started playing it lol. once you get down the combat it's a really fun/challenging game.

Getting over the first hump is definitely the toughest part. Realizing that any menial skeleton can be your end if you're not paying attention... and working your way up to slay monstrous dragons and wicked bosses makes it one of the most gratifying games I've played. The greater challenge brings a big sense of reward.

I gave up on Dark Souls at the Demon Ruins.

I feel like a wuss to this day and it's one of my biggest gaming regrets.

In my defense I went "hard mode" and played a Dexterity squishy class instead of a tanky bruiser.

Dang, Demon Ruins is so close to the end.... I played a dex build too, but summoned a sorcerer buddy for basically everything from O&S onward. Makes it a lot easier (and more fun imo) to co-op at least for boss battles.

I actually played a sorcerer( easiest class they say ), but i made him like half in half where he could actually use some heavier armor if need be, then i used quelags fury sword for weapon was a pretty good setup for first char. could do some heavy ranged damage if i needed to and could get up close and personal even with not having the heaviest armor's in the game.

Biggest thing i saw for if you get up close and personal is find a shield with high stability , and sometimes it was better to not even use heavy armor , the ability to straight barrel roll/side roll out of a attack and get behind the mob for a backstab or crit hits was best way to beat some stuff.

Overall if you haven't played the game i recommend it if you can get past the possible dying alot at the beginning.

There's really no "direction" in the game it's you load up they teach you the controls then boom figure it out yourself from there unless you find a guide on the internet (which it isnt a bad idea to read up on the game unless you'd rather just go into the unknown . ) i didn't have xbox live at the time so im not sure about the online portions of the game

PvP is pretty fun as well. The quickest way to earn Souls (the equivalent of exp) is by winning invasions through Covenants (factions you align your character to) that are more PvP oriented.... actually PvP (peer to peer matchmaking in Dark Souls 1) was sometimes laggy and bad on playstation network but the dedicated regional servers for Dark Souls 2 should make it a lot smoother!

PVP was broken when I played due to Ring of Fog and Tranquil walk of peace or whatever it was called that slowed down time.

If you didn't have those two things it was unfairly broken.

Currently doing a capped SL ninja build (shadow gear, non-element iaito, no shield) with a friend -- we're SL 45 with 9 vitality, downed Nieto and BoC and currently on 4 Kings...so happy about dedicated servers for multiplayer in DaS 2

any int build is pretty OP in DS1, but especially sorcery if you have the expansion, because you end up getting a spell right before manus that lets you two shot every boss for the remainder of the game

armor wise its best to go naked so you keep light roll and just learn the bosses so you can dodge every attack, but it's not a bad idea to get stone armor or something and just tank some bosses like 4 kings and nito

as for DS2, i've been watching streams and it looks pretty awesome but i plan on waiting for the PC version instead of buying the ps3 version since it's my roommates ps3 and i'm moving in a few months

I bought Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and DS2 at release. I love all of those game and I own when it comes to PVP, except for DS2. I am still getting used to the mechanics, but most people suck anyway and I own them.

I've yet to beat DS2 due to taking a break from it and finding the time to get back to it. I built a 2 hander melee build first and didn't like it so I switched to a pure caster build (sorc and pyro). I love that build and do MASSIVE dmg! Good to see people talk about it. OH! And, for DS2 I am staying away from Youtube and google and figuring out how to kill bosses on my own. It's really not that hard. But the skelly chariot boss jacked me up a bunch of times....

DaS 2 was a major disappointment for me, it started getting interesting (finally) once I got to (and past) the castle, but I ended up taking a break after that...I turned the game back on one day, took a look at the screen, literally shook my head in disgust and turned it off. Some article called it "creatively bankrupt" and I don't think that's hyperbole at all, the excuse that "it's a sequel" is crap, DaS 1 was both a good sequel of DeS and a good game on its own.

Things I hate in DaS 2:
-agility
-hitboxes
-art direction
-level design
-dialogue (lol emerald keeper...)
-graphics issues on non-hd (this is not nearly as bad in DaS or DeS)
-random item placement
-ease of play, except when it's randomly harder
-the complete and utter rape of parry and riposte
-the utter thievery of things from DaS 1. In music, movies, novels, video games, and art, there is always Borrowing. Tasteful Borrowing is good. Tasteful Quotations are good. Tasteful Homages are good. The Dragon and Bridge in the Undead Burg in DaS 1 was a well-done homage of the Dragon and Bridge in DeS because it didn't just do the exact same thing -- EVERYONE expected the dragon to appear, but many, maybe most, didn't expect it to come from behind. The encounter is also more fleshed out in DaS than it was in DeS. It looks prettier, it plays prettier, and the rewards are prettier. Where is this done in DaS 2? Nowhere. Instead, we got a reskin and easier version of Ornstein.

I'm a hater, and I'm gonna hate.

I can acknowledge most of your complaints with DaS2. I've finished two new games and one ng+ and still really like the game overall, but it does feel more like it should be called Dark Souls 1.5. It seems kind of stupid to still want more out of this series since The Creator has been against doing sequels. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence, especially when its being built from the ground up with a completely different developer team. I do want more though. Fromsoft's next project looks promising and definitely Souls-ish.

DaS 2 was a major disappointment for me, it started getting interesting (finally) once I got to (and past) the castle, but I ended up taking a break after that...I turned the game back on one day, took a look at the screen, literally shook my head in disgust and turned it off. Some article called it "creatively bankrupt" and I don't think that's hyperbole at all, the excuse that "it's a sequel" is crap, DaS 1 was both a good sequel of DeS and a good game on its own.

Things I hate in DaS 2:
-agility
-hitboxes
-art direction
-level design
-dialogue (lol emerald keeper...)
-graphics issues on non-hd (this is not nearly as bad in DaS or DeS)
-random item placement
-ease of play, except when it's randomly harder
-the complete and utter rape of parry and riposte
-the utter thievery of things from DaS 1. In music, movies, novels, video games, and art, there is always Borrowing. Tasteful Borrowing is good. Tasteful Quotations are good. Tasteful Homages are good. The Dragon and Bridge in the Undead Burg in DaS 1 was a well-done homage of the Dragon and Bridge in DeS because it didn't just do the exact same thing -- EVERYONE expected the dragon to appear, but many, maybe most, didn't expect it to come from behind. The encounter is also more fleshed out in DaS than it was in DeS. It looks prettier, it plays prettier, and the rewards are prettier. Where is this done in DaS 2? Nowhere. Instead, we got a reskin and easier version of Ornstein.

I'm a hater, and I'm gonna hate.

HOLY SMOKES! Well, me personally....I am glad it isn't just like DS1. DS1 was....to easy. Parry/Reposite was crazy easy to pull off and made every NPC/PC vulnerable to it a cake walk. Removing it completely ....kinda what they did in DS2 is pretty stupid, but at least it isn't cake walk like DS1.

Level design? What's wrong with you? The design is fine and similar DS1 in a manner of speaking. In my opinion its awesome because of the diversity.

Hit boxes? Are you talking about the back stab hit box? Are you sad that it's not freaking HUGE like it was in DS1?

You cry too much. Sounds like to me you suck at DS2 because of the new design of the game. How about this: Learn to play.

I say this because I had to Learn to Play myself and I was very frustrated that I couldn't roll through every attack and NOT get hit! Also, I couldn't Parry/Reposite..at all and backstab is actually easy to now that I know how to do it.

Geez man.....

HOLY SMOKES! Well, me personally....I am glad it isn't just like DS1. DS1 was....to easy. Parry/Reposite was crazy easy to pull off and made every NPC/PC vulnerable to it a cake walk. Removing it completely ....kinda what they did in DS2 is pretty stupid, but at least it isn't cake walk like DS1.

Level design? What's wrong with you? The design is fine and similar DS1 in a manner of speaking. In my opinion its awesome because of the diversity.

Hit boxes? Are you talking about the back stab hit box? Are you sad that it's not freaking HUGE like it was in DS1?

You cry too much. Sounds like to me you suck at DS2 because of the new design of the game. How about this: Learn to play.

I say this because I had to Learn to Play myself and I was very frustrated that I couldn't roll through every attack and NOT get hit! Also, I couldn't Parry/Reposite..at all and backstab is actually easy to now that I know how to do it.

Geez man.....

Chill the fuck out, no one attacked you bro. The fix to backstabs was great. The nerfing of parry and riposte to the point where you are better off just swinging away was knee-jerk and stupid.

DaS 2 is easier than DaS 1. Also, the bosses are so incredibly bland in DaS 2 that I just want to stab my eyeballs out. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule, but it's been so long since I've played that I can't think of any. Bosses that aren't completely bland are just dumb. Belltower gargoyles without any clipping? Okay.

Hit boxes are godawful. You should not be able to roll through everything like in DaS 1, but the fact that you can be BEHIND something and get hit by its forward piercing attack because it registered that you were in front before you rolled is unforgivably lazy on the part of the designers. If you play sword and board, good for you! You don't have to worry about that crap.

Maybe I was harsh by saying I hated the level design, so I'll revise my statement to say I expected more; the grand scale, the vertiginous feel of the levels in DaS 1 was just flat out superior. DeS is also superior because it came First, and the level design DaS 2 is nothing more than a variation on that theme.

The fact is, I think DeS and DaS 1 were great games despite their flaws, but I'm not a fanboy that automatically likes a game because it has Souls in it.

I can acknowledge most of your complaints with DaS2. I've finished two new games and one ng+ and still really like the game overall, but it does feel more like it should be called Dark Souls 1.5. It seems kind of stupid to still want more out of this series since The Creator has been against doing sequels. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence, especially when its being built from the ground up with a completely different developer team. I do want more though. Fromsoft's next project looks promising and definitely Souls-ish.

My best friend IRL constantly points out to me that if I had not played DeS and DaS 1, I would enjoy DaS 2 more, and the fact is that he's right...as far as games go, DaS 2 is better than a lot that's out there, but as a sequel to two of the best games of all time it is just disappointing to me.

I will admit that Rat Bros are hysterical and I even got my gf to laugh showing her how it's done (she's not a gamer)

Back
Top Bottom