Dark Rot Explanation

Ykari07

Dalayan Beginner
First of all, I debated whether to put this in Roleplaying or not. However I don't believe everyone checks Roleplaying so much as the General Discussion so if I want people to read this, it should probably go here.

Second of all, none of the information in this thread is anything new to the Bearers. This is a thread for people who DO NOT participate in RP events but would still like to know what the fuck is going on with this disease that they are bitching about. Frankly, I'm sick of having to explain it over and over again in ooc because a newbie is wondering what this strange disease he has contracted is. And even many high levels don't know what's being done to stop it. Thus the thread.

Third of all, I do not keep logs because I'm in incompetant person like that. Thus, all of this information is from memory. If anyone thinks I've said something that's incorrect, please tell me. I want this post to be as helpful as possible and if the information is wrong, then it's not very helpful now is it?

On to the actual information.

What is Dark Rot?

Dark Rot is a disease with 5 stages. It takes 3000 minutes online to advance a stage so believe me when I say you are in no danger of getting Dark Rot Stage V anytime soon. Most people don't even have Stage II yet. The disease itself is highly unlikely to cause you lasting torment. It lowers your attack by 10, and all of your resists by 1, and it also apparently lowers your charisma by an unknown amount. (Someone please confirm this). Chances are, this won't bug you much. The most obnoxious part of the disease is that it eats a buff slot. And if you aren't a raider, this isn't of that much importance either.

Edit - the full list of what Dark Rot does to you at each stage is now at the bottom of the post. Give a big thanks to Akuno for it.

Where did this crap come from?

Kaezul has apparently decided that we are pesky little bastards who are not so easily defeated with invasions. So he has resorted to biological warfare. On a more literal level, Dark Rot comes from anyone who stands near you. I'd say that a good 80% of the population of SoD currently has Dark Rot, so if you don't have it yet... you will. Just walk into Athica or Newport. You will walk out with a fresh, new disease to call your own.

Can I cure it?

You sure can't. Kaezul is pretty damn good at designing diseases apparently. Dark Rot can't be removed through any healing magic, whether from players or the NPC Healers. But the Healer in Athica can it least help you stop from spreading it. Just talk to him and see if he has some spare containment potions, if he doesn't then you can always help him make more. If you aren't high enough level to do so, don't worry about it. Containment doesn't always seem to work anyway.

So if I can't cure it, am I stuck with Dark Rot forever?

Fret not, the Bearers of Truth are hard at work to get rid of Dark Rot forever. If you'd like to assist us in this endeavor, just sign up to join the Bearers. You can petition with the key phrase to join. Check the RP forum if you don't know what the key phrase is.

So you guys are looking for the cure right?

Technically.. Actually the Bearers already know what the cure is.

Then why haven't you fixed it yet, you pricks?

Hey, hey. Calm down. I said we know what it is, not we can get it and are refusing to. The cure isn't a pile of special herbs, nor a special kind of magic, nor a bucket of fried Kargyxx wings with 16 secret spices. The cure is an actual living creature named the Hierophant. We kill the Hierophant, we cure Dark Rot for everyone, everywhere.

Great! Where is the Hierophant? I'll whup his ass right here, right now.

Well... he's on an island off the coast of Ikisith. And the reason nobody has killed him yet is that we have no clue how to get there. Plus he's incredibly strong (the left hand man of Kaezul we suspect, Baldakos being the right hand). We are gathering up an army, but we still can't actually get to him.

Any ideas on reaching him?

Plenty, none of which have worked yet. There is a planned event Tuesday afternoon/evening (someone mentioned 4pm EST) to work on a method of getting there. All levels are welcome to join in, bring your 65 or bring your 6, we're pretty indifferent.

Anything else I should know?

Nope, not really. This post will be updated as soon as Cuwi gets more information on the matter, and especially after Tuesday when we will hopefully know exactly how to reach the Hierophant. Or at the very least, more information about how we CAN'T reach the Hierophant.

PS, do not turn my thread into a debate about whether everyone should be forced to have Dark Rot whether they like RPing or not. You have it. I'm just telling you why you have it, and how to stop having it.

UPDATES AS OF TUESDAY, AUGUST 28TH!

So I heard you guys found a way to Ikisith to kill the Hierophant?

Ayup.

Great, let's go get him!

Can't.

... Alright, why can't we do it this time?

It'll take 1 week for Tethlid and Kalina and whoever else is working on it to open the portal. Here that folks? Clear your calenders. Next Tuesday is game day!

WHAT DARK ROT ACTUALLY DOES TO YOU

Dark Rot (Stage 1)
Decrease All Resists by 1
Decrease Charisma by 5
Decrease Attack by 5

Dark Rot (Stage 2)
Decrease Stamina by 5
Decrease Strength by 5
Decrease All Resists by 3
Decrease Charisma by 10
Decrease Attack by 10

Dark Rot (Stage 3)
Decrease Stamina by 10
Decrease Strength by 10
Decrease All Resists by 5
Decrease Charisma by 15
Decrease Attack by 15

Dark Rot (Stage 4)
Decrease Stamina by 20
Decrease Strength by 20
Decrease All Resists by 10
Decrease Charisma by 25
Decrease Attack by 25

Dark Rot (Stage 5)
Decrease Stamina by 50
Decrease Strength by 50
Decrease All Resists by 30
Decrease Charisma by 50
Decrease Attack by 50

Big thanks to Akuno for getting this info.

The whole event is going down sometime this weekend according to latest reports. Be there or may Dark Rot melt your brain!

Thanks for the post, well written and informative. Hit me up in game if you need help with the cure, as long as I'm not raiding I'll be happy to help however I can.

Hey, nice post! Let Felyn know when you are about to go take down this, Hierophant (unless I am raiding!).

Vvery well done cuwi unfortunetly Sef wont be able to help if something goes down tuesday but you guys should have more then enough. Anyways onto the topic at hand Containment, Seferon has yet to get this dark rot so im doing everything in my power to keep potions on the healer (they allways disappear so fast) anyways sef has enough supplys plus access to many more for everything(thank you grizabella / finster) but the treant bark which now makes 10per?? So if you guys have that have some time farm them treants they are good xp and cash loot as well as bark, and with every bark that you guys get save it if you need it contained on your character until you see the reall me on(just ask if you see seferon on) or if you are doing this for everyone else just listsend them my way and when i get back home wednesday i will keep charges on the heal as i can.

Thank you so much for sharing this information! As a relative noob, level 9 Wiz, I was feeling overwhelmed by the thought of contracting this disease, at level 10, that has no cure and is spread so easily. After reading your post, I am charged up to role play and aid the forces of good against the foul progenitor of this plague. BTW, I think -10 attack IS a big deal to us lower level players :)

You're right, when you only have a total of 40 attack, -10 is a pretty big deal. But you're also pretty unlikely to contract Dark Rot running around Centaur Hills. It's only when you go to hang out near big banks where lots of people congregate that you're likely to get hit. It's absolute murder to monks I know, but maybe avoid banking until you think you have enough attack to deal with -10?

Hankm said:
Thank you so much for sharing this information! As a relative noob, level 9 Wiz, I was feeling overwhelmed by the thought of contracting this disease, at level 10, that has no cure and is spread so easily. After reading your post, I am charged up to role play and aid the forces of good against the foul progenitor of this plague. BTW, I think -10 attack IS a big deal to us lower level players :)

Ykari07 said:
You're right, when you only have a total of 40 attack, -10 is a pretty big deal. But you're also pretty unlikely to contract Dark Rot running around Centaur Hills. It's only when you go to hang out near big banks where lots of people congregate that you're likely to get hit. It's absolute murder to monks I know, but maybe avoid banking until you think you have enough attack to deal with -10?

First off, anyone below level 10 canNOT contract the disease in any way shape or form. Also, if you're level 10, and you only have 40 attack, it means either two things...
1. You're a caster and shouldn't "have" to melee things.
2. You're a melee and you're not... meleeing. (or suck, choose your pick).

I've been lucky so far, and have not contracted the disease on any of my characters (fortunately) but I know it won't last forever.

One of the badass effects of the Rot is not listed : minus Charisma (yeah I'm kind of a CHA addict).

Otherwise thanks for the info. Well detailed indeed.
Two more questions , more or less related :
-The Skyfire Mountains being released yesterday , was it part of a RP event ?
-Why did you change your l33t sig ? it was prolly among the best Elulu's.

I'd love to show up and help out tonight. However, I'm going to be late coming home. Probably 9pm EST. When I get on, I'll see what I can do to help.

They're finally releasing Issue 21!!! For 10 long years I've had Issue 20... with that HORRID HORRID cliff hanger. FINALLY he's going to finish it!

You can see his video blogs about the progress on the book. Supposedly it's going to be 85 pages long. Oh man... I'm in a state of euphoria right now.
http://youtube.com/view_play_list?p=46D333458D719C82

EDIT: OMG, somebody did a Claymation of the first issue of SCUD. Here it is.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fu8gkn-nHPg&feature=PlayList&p=46D333458D719C82

Ykari07 said:
Containment doesn't always seem to work anyway..

was wondering about that, a guildmate got to L2 then got it contained, a day or so later noticed that
it was now back to L1 un-contained

do a /cm stats and see if that says contained the buffs are getting messed up on some i just worry about those that are contained but have uncontained buff if they go to level 2 will it be contained or uncontained

i am waiting till my pet gets stage 5 and starts pwning
it was giving out stage 2 the other day but got killed

Dzillon said:
One of the badass effects of the Rot is not listed : minus Charisma (yeah I'm kind of a CHA addict).

Otherwise thanks for the info. Well detailed indeed.
Two more questions , more or less related :
-The Skyfire Mountains being released yesterday , was it part of a RP event ?
-Why did you change your l33t sig ? it was prolly among the best Elulu's.

1. I will add in the - cha.
2. I did not see Skyfire being added yesterday and I don't know anything about it.
3. Because Psychonauts is made of god and win. And it's "What's your favorite console game?" month.

Ikaa/Osimi said:
Good post.

And it's eerily devoid of "WAH WAH DARK ROT SCREW YOU DEVS YOU RUINED MY PLAYING EXPERIENCE".

Cosmic..

Thank you. And I'm a roleplayer. I'm digging Dark Rot.

Back
Top Bottom