Critical Analysis of SoD

Eustace

Dalayan Adventurer
Hi, I'm the player formerly known as Eustace. I started back on Winter's Roar and cycled through a few toons, playing on and off over the years before being banned on my main, Eustace, after raising Cain and demanding the deletion of gear acquired by logging out a group within a raid in order to loot with logged-out toons, while the 18-man engage limit was kept by supporting the raid with a group outside of the raid group. Over the years, I've played many games and raided in many games: I played Star Wars Galaxies at launch through the NGE on Chilastra and Bloodfin; I played Everquest from Kunark through Planes of Power in <Artificial Intelligence> on Bristlebane and returned to kill the Sleeper on Zek; I played World of Warcraft a little during vanilla and raided heavily with <Ruin> during Burning Crusade and then again in Cataclysm; I played Guild Wars through launch with <Section One> into their first expansion; I played Guild Wars 2 with <Ruin> until the release of the new daily quests; I was an alpha tester for Last Chaos and worked for Aeria Games as a part-time GM after beta; I was granted early beta access to Path of Exile and still maintain accounts there as well, from time to time.

Today I'd like to share my overview and opinions of Shards of Dalaya. Although some may not agree with my assessments of the game, this draft is a token of my appreciation for the time that's gone into developing and maintaining this emulator. I may not include all aspects of the game. It is quite diverse. However, we must look at the purpose of the game itself overall: to provide entertaining recreation to people who have time to spare, to offer an enthralling story that makes the experience immersive, and to give people not just a reason to come back but to also encourage their friends to play.

Starting off in the game is served well by the adepts. The upgrades to the loot to make them experience-gaining and growing is a very positive change. It does encourage older players to go back and make new characters just to try them out, and it somewhat gives new players reasons to look forward to an end-game raid experience. However, the early community having to rely on community toons and over-twinked toons in order to take down the adepts really takes away the fun of the experience. There isn't a lot of difference between having a level one with Jayla's Boon in the raid and having a level one with 1200hp from gear and augments soloing an adept. Unfortunately, without either a full raid of no-gear level ones or community bots, the adepts are kind of off the slaughtering-block for the person fresh into SoD.

Leveling is fairly easy. The xp goes fast, particularly when you're being leech-carried. However, there is no really effective way to role-play your way through the lore to level. The basic strategy for the new player is to get into <Dalayan Beginners>, then have people like Irelc (Sorry, don't know your forum name) give you gear and take you on field-trips through the world. That sort of experience is good for the long-term gamer looking to get new people started to bring some fresh blood onto the server; however, it's entirely corrosive to the immersive element that leaves you fiending to play your character.

After leveling to 65, you have AA's, tomes, and a charm to fund. The AA's are quite straight-forward. The tomes, on the other hand, leave a lot to be desired. The current system is droppable or raid no-droppable for the tomes. This leaves new people in a position where they can't get to the new tomes unless they get in a guild that raids regularly, has a random drop that they need, or by some stroke of luck happens to have one drop in a Rust group off Arbiter or something of the like. Averaging about 10,000pp per tome on listsold makes these highly inaccessible for new players, particularly when the new player's pp is already tangled up between affording spells that nobody farms any longer, buying a charm, buying augments, etc. Having tomes drop the way they do and putting them on listsold only aids longer-term players in buying Eternals for all their alts. It is prohibitive to the new player in excess, and it will drive people who would play and grind but not raid away.

On the topic of raiding, I've noticed a severe bout of mudflation. The tiers go up and up and up, and to get into the current raid game, you need already geared characters. There is no side progression available, no alternate gearing methods. There are only "best-in-slot" items, despite the ability to make thousands upon millions of combinations of stats available for every slot. Then again, using side progression instead of linear scaling would cause severe strife for the elitists on the Top Five list, who would already die from hemorrhoidal hemorrhaging if all tomes became available to all people without the need of maximum tier raiding. This mudflation doesn't have a trickle-down effect on the lower tiers, either: it absolutely negates the reason to even try and tier your way up from T1 to T13. Luclin kind of got it right when they put in their Candy Land. Instead of handing out 50 more to all stats in the next tier, maybe you should make people choose between effects and stats to build some seriously rad characters and give people a reason to hit targets other than a gaping-maw drool of, "Our [warrior] needs this to stay bestest!"

2.5 looks pretty swell. It's a little bonkered at the moment but you'll get it sorted out. Nice fresh graphics and all.

The lore of the game is great. If you read the quests. If you're not just doing it for the aug. Or running after Ytrazliarch (lawl who needs that crap anymore?) Unfortunately, there aren't regular roleplaying events any longer to supplement the lore. You absolutely have to have a good story teller to keep a community active, and the last one you guys had was Wiz, and if he's done a lore event since 2009 I'll eat my next pack of Marlboros instead of smoking them. I'd volunteer to get on and do roleplaying events, but I absolutely have no respect for Woldaff. So I suppose you're stuck with Slaariel trying to hijack 3D models from other games (meant in jest Slaar; I think it's a good idea.)

To sum it all up, Shards of Dalaya has been a massive undertaking. The development has passed through many hands. Many nerfs have been had. Many improvements have come and gone, and more are planned. But, the game fails to entice new players, to immerse new players, to convince old players to return and just do a group every now and then (fancy a dungeon crawl, mateys?), or to convince a guild like <Section One> to get on here and raid from T1 to T13 with the entire raid flagged pvp the entire time (They and Ruin Nation roll that way. It's fun.) The high end raid game lacks customization. The maximum xp end absolutely lacks access. People like Irelc do what they can to encourage new people to stay and play, but after a while...

...it just isn't fun anymore.

(WTB full AOE damage. WTB ripostes. WTS autofire. WTB 10 Tomes of Power. WTB...shit, I'm just buying a kayak. Fuck this.)

Is this a suggestion or a request? I feel like Discussion would have been more of an appropriate area.

That being said, SERVER WIPE!

On the topic of raiding, I've noticed a severe bout of mudflation. The tiers go up and up and up, and to get into the current raid game, you need already geared characters. There is no side progression available, no alternate gearing methods. There are only "best-in-slot" items, despite the ability to make thousands upon millions of combinations of stats available for every slot. Then again, using side progression instead of linear scaling would cause severe strife for the elitists on the Top Five list, who would already die from hemorrhoidal hemorrhaging if all tomes became available to all people without the need of maximum tier raiding. This mudflation doesn't have a trickle-down effect on the lower tiers, either: it absolutely negates the reason to even try and tier your way up from T1 to T13. Luclin kind of got it right when they put in their Candy Land. Instead of handing out 50 more to all stats in the next tier, maybe you should make people choose between effects and stats to build some seriously rad characters and give people a reason to hit targets other than a gaping-maw drool of, "Our [warrior] needs this to stay bestest!"
First of all I think everyone can agree breaking in to the raid scene is a seriously daunting task as it is. I have to say though that game has been suffering from "mudflation" since before I even came a dev (my point is, a long time). It just wasn't as bad because you had more lower tier guilds and it was easier to get in to the raiding scene if you wanted to. Still though I remember using Coltaine as our tank in 2006, who was greatly more powerful than Sald was at the time.

When Kunark came out there was a huge push by the dev team to add raid progression from where it currently was. To do that you need to make better gear, otherwise it is hard to have a meaningful progression if everything is around the same difficulty. I am all for side progression, but lets not kid ourselves. SoD has never been a game about side progression as far as I remember, its always been about getting to those end game zones and getting the best gear. I find it hilarious that you even mention Luclin in your post as "getting it right". The gear that dropped from Ssra Temple and VT greatly eclipsed everything before it, so much so that there was literally no point in running anything else (heck ssra temple was only worth running for weapons) once you got to it. It was filled with tons of best in slot loot and had a huge gating mechanism behind it to boot. There was literally no point in any of the tiers besides VT, other then the fact you needed to kill emp for the key (and weapons!!).

I agree that the raid tiers at the high end need to be fleshed out more, when Kunark was introduced the high end raid progression became pretty linear. Pretty much the only zone outside of Kunark worth doing at the time was Sanctum. It has gotten better over the years, but there is still work that needs to be done. This is part of the effort of the new thaz, which once finished will offer a lot more content around the later Kunark level in terms of difficulty.

As far as loot and items that are considered sidegrades. These still exist all over the place, even at the highest of tiers (there will be more when thaz is finished too). Generally people ignore all but the best piece that fits in to the best suit of gear and disregard the other as trash. I got and get PMs from people all the time telling me why X item is worse than Y item even though it drops from a harder boss and how it should have 30hp/mana more otherwise no one will use it ever!!! We have also introduced items with what I think are cool effects or procs, some of them were deemed OP by the dev team at large and changed to uselessness, while others never hit on with the players base. The problem with adding new effects to the game is if you make them too good then they kind of become mandatory, and that is bad. Just look at that Tash bracer thread that people were talking about earlier this month. It is a cool effect, but CAN be a problem as far as balance is concerned. Honestly though I would say that the last 2-3 tiers of content has more unique effects on the items than the whole rest of the raid scene combined. My point is we have been trying to push players to want to use cool new items, but almost every time they just whine about how it should have more stats because of XYZ reason. Unless it is just blatantly OP, usually they don't talk about it then and try to keep it secret for as long as possible. Item balance can be tricky is my point basically, especially when trying to keep it fresh.

The bottom line is we would love to see raiding become more accessible. But we have not come up with an elegant solution that doesn't just obsolete 70%+ of our raiding content. Honestly part of the problem is the longer MMOs go on the more problems that arise, especially in terms of gear. There is a reason that games like WoW and such have gear resets after every expansion, and its to allow people to easily catch up.

The lore of the game is great. If you read the quests. If you're not just doing it for the aug. Or running after Ytrazliarch (lawl who needs that crap anymore?) Unfortunately, there aren't regular roleplaying events any longer to supplement the lore. You absolutely have to have a good story teller to keep a community active, and the last one you guys had was Wiz, and if he's done a lore event since 2009 I'll eat my next pack of Marlboros instead of smoking them. I'd volunteer to get on and do roleplaying events, but I absolutely have no respect for Woldaff. So I suppose you're stuck with Slaariel trying to hijack 3D models from other games (meant in jest Slaar; I think it's a good idea.)

Yes this game has lots of cool lore. Yes there isn't as much anymore, and it isn't as good since the person who created it all has left the dev team. It sucks to admit but this is just the truth. Losing Wiz hurt us a lot in this department and we have never found someone to replace him.

Last edited:
The bottom line is we would love to see raiding become more accessible. But we have not come up with an elegant solution that doesn't just obsolete 70%+ of our raiding content. Honestly part of the problem is the longer MMOs go on the more problems that arise, especially in terms of gear. There is a reason that games like WoW and such have gear resets after every expansion, and its to allow people to easily catch up.

The elegant solution is 6-man content that allows you to farm the Old Thaz class gear as it was, in addition to an extension to Combine that runs through future raid encounter installments. This would be particularly valid if it opened up tome access to newer players as well.

Celestial Combine Armor (Upon death of HM Blazewind or something like that.)

You say, "Hail, A Revenant of Jayla"
A Revenant of Jayla says, "Well, that looked like a bit of fun. For you, at least. Always about the challenge. But did you learn anything? No? Hm."
You say, "Um...what?"
A Revenant of Jayla says, "No, I didn't think so. That's how it usually is, you know. Running around, breaking into things, trying to get this and that and this and that, and you can't even tell me who the crazy guy is that lost his hat and swears he's invisible. Or can you?"
You say, "<...>"
A Revenant of Jayla says, "I take it back. I've gotten much more cynical over the years. It kind of happens when you get bitten by a werewolf while a vampire is drinking your blood during a laboratory experiment gone awry. I smell some tainted magic on you. It smells like...hm, you've gotten cursed armor from that silly vaporous projection, haven't you?"
You say, "It's not cursed! It took me forever to get that! I had to go through frogs and dragons and giants and...and... What do you mean, it's cursed?"
A Revenant of Jayla says, "That armor's been sucking your life and you didn't even know it!!! Hahaha! Well. If you get me a few things, we can fix up the pieces to suck the life out of that projection instead. Isn't knowledge wonderful?"
You say, "I just want more treasure!"
A Revenant of Jayla says, "Knowledge is treasure."
You say, "No it's not."
A Revenant of Jayla says, "Yes it is."
You say, "No it's not."
A Revenant of Jayla says, "Fine then, figure it out yourself."

You have been charmed!
A Revenant of Jayla says, "Repeat after me:"
You say, "Repeat after me..."
A Revenant of Jayla says, "No, not that part."
You say, "No, not that part..."

You are bleeding to death!
A Revenant of Jayla says, "ARGH! Get me a pristine alligator scale, frenzied piranha jaws, mud of a golem, the face of a faceless beast, hair from Tarhyl's ponies, and a mostly useless spell scroll out of the same dump I fished up that vampire and werewolf who bit me. Then hand me that cursed armor and I'll prove to you that knowledge is power."

You have died! Returning to bind point.

I think gear is much less of a problem than raid slots/class restrictions. If someone wanted to raid with me and were competent/willing to learn/play other characters for the time being, they are already more desirable than the majority of geared people.

I think gear is much less of a problem than raid slots/class restrictions. If someone wanted to raid with me and were competent/willing to learn/play other characters for the time being, they are already more desirable than the majority of geared people.

Maybe I'm just misreading this but "/play other characters for the time being" to me means don't play your own chars, but play chars that belong you and your guild. If that is how you intended it then just wow.

How many years does it take for a zone to be done?! Isn't there still the rest of the kunark zone expansion too? How many devs does SoD have right now? Didn't realize just how far back development was backlogged.

Maybe I'm just misreading this but "/play other characters for the time being" to me means don't play your own chars, but play chars that belong you and your guild. If that is how you intended it then just wow.
Playing other characters to fill a raid role is extremely common. The reward being you get handed loot far past your characters capabilities. Not being able to take a 4th of a class or a 19th (or more) toon on raids is a much more limiting factor for new people than them not having a certain amount of progression on a character.

Playing other characters to fill a raid role is extremely common. The reward being you get handed loot far past your characters capabilities. Not being able to take a 4th of a class or a 19th (or more) toon on raids is a much more limiting factor for new people than them not having a certain amount of progression on a character.

Asking someone to box in a toon is one thing, askig them to spend hours on end playing your chars for you though is a very different thing all together. Having no real ties to the guild other then the 1-3 people they might have met through a recruitment faze.

Asking someone to box in a toon is one thing, askig them to spend hours on end playing your chars for you though is a very different thing all together. Having no real ties to the guild other then the 1-3 people they might have met through a recruitment faze.
You make this sound much more negative then it is. Yes, not ever being able to play your character would suck, but this is rarely a long term arrangement. You get to play a wide variety of top tier characters in different fights. You form bonds with the guild by playing with them. Your character is rotated in when it is their turn for loot pertinent to them. As you gain efficacy, you play your character on more and more of the raids.

There is no confusion you want new people to play your chars for you. got it.
Have you seen Lleoc's characters? They are badass. Playing them is not a chore.

Back
Top Bottom