Corrupted Centaurs, Newport Ring III

SoDPlayer

Dalayan Adventurer
I am posting to see if someone would take a look at the corrupted centaurs in the southern and western badlands: they seem to be a fairly rare spawn, and I have yet to see one drop the armor and weapons cache for the Newport 3rd ring quest.

About the seperate zones: I rarely see any corrupted centaurs in Southern Badlands- I have seen four corrupted centaurs in seven levels of hunting there, and not one of the three I managed to kill dropped the cache that I wanted. I have searched through West Badlands for some time, and I have yet to see one corrupted centaur, while there are a lot of regular centaur outriders.

I have been trying to do this quest for a few days now, and it is beginning to bring me to my Evercamp knees. Please consider taking a look at this issue.

You will have to kill more than three for sure!

I got mine for both my characters in about one hour. Maybe I am lucky, maybe druid track helped, but the area around Paw and South of there seemed to yield good results.

Also the time of day plays a role. The centaurs will be infected with corruption at 8PM gametime, best to hunt them shortly after that. And yes, try to get a tracker. (Got mine with 5th kill btw).

My characters have killed many a corrupted centaur for various reasons/quests. It truly varies on when the cache drops. I've seen as many as 10 go by without dropping as well as have 2 out of 3 drop it. A tracker always helps, but I don't recall seeing more than about 5 in the zone at any given time, so if you've killed that many, it's time to move on for a bit.

Good luck!

-Farcy

I made several trips to south badlands trying to get mine with out luck, then one day I was sitting outside paw (In the tunnel) and someone who was headed to paw trained one that aggroed me so I killed him and presto he dropped it heh.

So it´s like someone else said it´s pretty random and there arnt a lot of them. However were I saw the biggest consentration of them (Like 4) was on the zoneline near the bird Village (Think its zone for Starfall). Try there there´s always a few there, they used to aggro all the time while I was kiting the birds.

Thanks for the responses.

I did notice that at night, in Southern Badlands, mobs become corrupted. Oddly enough, I have not seen any corrupted centaurs in the Western Badlands, just as I have not seen any uncorrupted centaurs in the Southern Badlands. I am sure others have different experiences.

Luck will always play a role, and tracking is great for those whom have it.

I think this quest could be improved- perhaps by there being more corrupted centaurs in the Western Badlands, which is over-populated with uncorrupted centaurs roaming around aimlessly day and night.

I have considered rolling up a tracker to assist me- but really, I just want to finally complete this mini-quest of quests.

The corrupted centaurs in SBL seem to share spawns with the other corrupted mobs. To spawn more centaurs, kill more corrupted other things. Someone OOC'd one of the crates rotting last night, so they are dropping, just uncommon as others have said.

There are no non-corrupted centaurs in SBL, so time of day doesn't matter.

GuiardoTuneweaver said:
The corrupted centaurs in SBL seem to share spawns with the other corrupted mobs. To spawn more centaurs, kill more corrupted other things. Someone OOC'd one of the crates rotting last night, so they are dropping, just uncommon as others have said.

There are no non-corrupted centaurs in SBL, so time of day doesn't matter.

I knew about the shared spawning in SBL, so when I hung around Paw for 7 levels, I was killing everything and still only seen 4 corrupted centaurs in that entire time.

That OOC, last night, from a ranger I was talking w/ prior, who gave up in SBL I might add, was for a corpse in Western Badlands. I gated to NBL and ran like mad to WBL to try and loot it, but there was no way I could have made it in time- zoning seems to take longer when you are in a hurry.

Here's how things become corrupted:

At 8pm game time, a numer of mobs called "a Spectre of Corruption" spawn at wraith camps(including the one in SBL and WBL), and travel outward in random directions, these mobs will aggro any NPC they come across, and as soon as that happens, the NPC despawns, and a new, corrupted version of it spawns, after this the spectre itself despawns. To help your chances in WBL, try clering the lions and other non-centaur creatures in WBL right before 8pm, then when the spectres spawn, they won't be able to find many mobs besides centaurs to spawn. You could also do the same in SBL.

cyberus said:
Here's how things become corrupted:

At 8pm game time, a numer of mobs called "a Spectre of Corruption" spawn at wraith camps(including the one in SBL and WBL), and travel outward in random directions, these mobs will aggro any NPC they come across, and as soon as that happens, the NPC despawns, and a new, corrupted version of it spawns, after this the spectre itself despawns. To help your chances in WBL, try clering the lions and other non-centaur creatures in WBL right before 8pm, then when the spectres spawn, they won't be able to find many mobs besides centaurs to spawn. You could also do the same in SBL.

Your suggestion, although appreciated, seems a bit much just to do one part of a quest. I have killed all mobs in both zones, and it gets tiresome and the only place it seems to slightly make a difference is in Southern Badlands.

I am not clear on what exactly this spectre does- not that I really need to know. But if keeping the zone clear of greenies, in WBL, so that the spectre does not "bounce" off of one and wander in a new path direction before it reaches the centaur area, or possibly use up all its corruption abilities, is what I need to do, this would seem a bit much.

I am not saying this is what the spectre does; I am saying these are possibilities if the greenies in WBL are somehow affecting the centaurs not being corrupted.

However, if the spectre is not affected by mobs in either such way, then it sure could use a pathing adjustment as there are about 10 centaurs in the NW corner of WBL just asking to be corrupted.

Again, there are plenty of uncorrupted centaurs, as is, in WBL that just really need corrupting- they say so when you hail them! :)

What happens is each spectre can only corrupt 1 mob, then it disappears, because it has done it's job. While clearing the area before the spectres spawn is by no means neccesary, I'm sure it would help the spectres find their way to the centaurs, rather than other mobs. I don't think getting aggro, and training the spectres into the centaurs is a fantastic idea, in fact, I think some people got in trouble for this awhile back. I had no problem getting the piece for my alt with the help of a bard who could track.

I don't really have any plans to change this as it's one of the few true "timesinks" to the entire quest series. That said I may look at a way to make it less of a chore for classes that can't track the centaur.

Thank-you for clarifying the information you gave, cyberus =)

I gave that method a shot, and for two nights I killed as many "greenies" as I could between the centaurs and the spectres:

• The first night: a couple with a tracker, offering me any cache, said they killed about three. None of which had the cache, and I failed at tracking down any corrupted centaurs on my own.

The second night: I managed to stumble upon a corrupted centaur, killing it, and I looted a weapons/armor cache![/list:u]

I am interested to see if any change comes to this portion of the quest in the future.

--newly appointed Sergeant of Newport .. still poor faction, though, but that is another topic.

Back
Top Bottom