Classic Race Headshots at Char Creation

Grinkles

Developer
Staff member
For DIRECTIONS/DOWNLOAD, skip to the GREEN TEXT below!

==========
Something that bugs me about character creation is that the "Race" box displays only Luclin models. As a proud pre-Luclin model supremacist, I set out to create a custom version that would use only classic headshots for consistency's sake. Here is the result:

HoKKzr8.jpg

(Bear in mind that these icons are only 40x40, and image compression adds even more graininess. They look better in game.)

As a bonus, I've taken the opportunity to gray out the Drakkin icon for both sexes (as seen above) as well as the Berserker icon because neither one is available in Shards of Dalaya. Here's a .gif showing the Berserker icon change:

qM6jHgr.gif

==========
DIRECTIONS/DOWNLOAD:

If you're tired of looking at the dorky Luclin races every time you create a character, follow these steps:
  1. Locate the following five files within [SoD Directory] > uifiles > defaultand rename them as follows:
    • Class.tga > Old Class.tga
    • FemaleRace.tga > Old FemaleRace.tga
    • FemaleRaceDisabled.tga > Old FemaleRaceDisabled.tga
    • MaleRace.tga > Old MaleRace.tga
    • MaleRaceDisabled.tga > Old MaleRaceDisabled.tga
  2. Download the following .zipfolder:
  3. Open the downloaded .zip folder and place all its contents into the same folder you located in Step #1.
  4. Log into the game, click "Create Character," and be glad you never have to look at oogly Luclin Ogres or Erudites or Dork Elves ever again!
Note: If you decide to revert, delete the five new files and restore the names of the originals. (Refer to Step #1.)

==========
I'm still not 100% confident in sharing UI mods like this because feedback is sparse. There's no telling how they'll show up on someone else's end, so I have no way of knowing if the headshots I took are too dark, for example. Regardless, if you're feeling daring and share my preference for pre-Luclin models, give this a whirl and enjoy. :)

Last edited:
Well in terms of feedback being sparse, I've tried just about every recommendation/fix that you've put on the forums and they've all turned out great. I still think these should be standard in the client. Thanks for all the work Grink!

If it matters - I am running a Titanium install.

This is awesome, and my first time seeing some of the Luclin faces. Its somewhat comforting that the butt-cut female half elf model is even worse than the fugly crop top one.

Well in terms of feedback being sparse, I've tried just about every recommendation/fix that you've put on the forums and they've all turned out great. I still think these should be standard in the client. Thanks for all the work Grink!

If it matters - I am running a Titanium install.
Thanks for the info! I'm glad to see some enthusiasm over this kind of thing. I get the feeling that many of the currently active players who would enjoy these sorts of fixes/mods unfortunately don't even know about this subforum because they don't frequent the forums at all. Most of the traffic here seems to consist of nostalgic lurkers (like busty trusty old Lindstrom) who wouldn't be able to make use of this stuff anyway. :(

By the way, it looks like the fire and possibly the butterfly particle effects aren't working for your char select, which I suspect is a case of Titanium lacking one or two relevant files. It's a minor detail, but I may end up looking into supplying a fix for Titanium users at some point in the future, assuming it's possible.

My favorite preluclin mod is the vah shir one.

DdYeY1i.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom