Change to glacial strike

Gargate

Dalayan Elder
It needs changed back for real, before it did little over 3.6k and I could use it range attacking run in nuke jump out.

3.6k nuke for 700 mana with a long reuse timer

Now it does little over 2.5k and adds a temp buff that eats up a buff slot and only procs twice before it fades IF you melee for all of 476 dmg for the same mana cost.

Fletching is awful, pay to play, most ranger's hate the bird pet, and now glacial strike got nerfed for 99% of the content you will do as a ranger.

I really do think you mean well with your threads but you come off way too arrogant for them to make a difference. You usually have good points as well, but I've gotta disagree with this one. You end the thread with "fletching is awful," "hate the bird pet," but complain at the first attempt at moving away from using arrows. Rangers have some of the best melee abilities in the game and never utilize them once. A push towards giving rangers a melee option is an incredible idea, and while it probably should've been an addition to a bigger solution later on, it's still a push in the right direction.

Do some more parsing with 2 lower delay weapons and you'll see a difference. It has x7 the proc rate of normal proc buffs, and hits fairly well and often when you swing fast. Glacial Strike's current use of being a "jump-in" nuke is a really really bad mechanic, although its range was increased to be castable at melee range now, still making it a "better" ranged jump-in nuke.

There's a lot of work that rangers can benefit from. Try and bring them up more constructively and not jump down throats the second you return from a break / something new comes out.

TL;DR I support the Glacial Strike change and hope it moves toward a better melee ranger movement.

I really do think you mean well with your threads but you come off way too arrogant for them to make a difference. You usually have good points as well, but I've gotta disagree with this one. You end the thread with "fletching is awful," "hate the bird pet," but complain at the first attempt at moving away from using arrows. Rangers have some of the best melee abilities in the game and never utilize them once. A push towards giving rangers a melee option is an incredible idea, and while it probably should've been an addition to a bigger solution later on, it's still a push in the right direction.

Do some more parsing with 2 lower delay weapons and you'll see a difference. It has x7 the proc rate of normal proc buffs, and hits fairly well and often when you swing fast. Glacial Strike's current use of being a "jump-in" nuke is a really really bad mechanic, although its range was increased to be castable at melee range now, still making it a "better" ranged jump-in nuke.

There's a lot of work that rangers can benefit from. Try and bring them up more constructively and not jump down throats the second you return from a break / something new comes out.

TL;DR I support the Glacial Strike change and hope it moves toward a better melee ranger movement.

The vast majority of content Ranger's are far better off dps wise to use range attack in almost the entire game. It's a nerf for most of us.

The last line was to point out all the flaws already present and instead of improvements we get more problem's.

If the goal is to push ranger's into a melee class why even have them, we already have rogues, monks, Bards, and bsts to fill that role and they all do it better.

RANGEr

And yeah I used the fastest weapons I have, if I was lucky it did the same damage as before while eating a buff slot and only if I melee. That makes it a nerf for most content in 6man's, raids, groups.

And for the record I was never in favor of Glacial strike being a short range spell in the first place.

Last edited:
Maybe if your class had melee improvements it'd be better at actually meleeing and it'd be more useful? There's actually a respectable amount of proc weapons out there that would help your melee and make glacial strike work even better. There's also bosses later on that have...unfavorable archery mechanics so having the option to melee would be useful. But hey keep pissing on potential benefits to your class, just keep at it with your rANGER.

Maybe if your class had melee improvements it'd be better at actually meleeing and it'd be more useful? There's actually a respectable amount of proc weapons out there that would help your melee and make glacial strike work even better. There's also bosses later on that have...unfavorable archery mechanics so having the option to melee would be useful. But hey keep pissing on potential benefits to your class, just keep at it with your rANGER.
Improvements to melee would be one thing if it didn't come at the cost of something that impacts the vast majority of a classes play time.

But your comment makes sense, it was probably a change that had to do with specific situations for a handful of people.

Ranger is a Range class, if they want to bump up it's melee it shouldn't come at the cost of it's primary role which is exactly what just happened.

I'm impressed you could do this within 3.1 seconds to make it worthwhile.
I rarely see the yellow text of a missed shot on autofire, not super hard to stay at min range attack distance and run in right away nuke jump back. Also the 3.6k dmg was higher than my average range attack shot.

If I can do it, I know most players can. Again though I've been against it being a short range spell since I got it what 7 years ago?

It doesn't make sense to change it to the current setup, my fastest weapons are a 16 and 22 delay and I get 3 procs which adds up to the same damage it did before except before it didn't eat of a buff slot or limit it's usefulness in range fights.

Last edited:
Ranger is a Range class, if they want to bump up it's melee it shouldn't come at the cost of it's primary role which is exactly what just happened.

You do realize Glacial Strike had literally 0 range to it? It wasn’t a ranged spell. It was meant for close range combat - the idea behind a spell being a jump-in spell is not what a spell is meant to be.

This didn’t come at the cost of a majority of your class’ play time because it took a minute to cast again anyway?

The spell still needs numbers tuned in its current form. The dev who made this change probably just wanted to avoid releasing a spell thats too strong and then having to nerf it later.

I like the change to the spell. It now checks for melee range on cast instead of requiring you to stand on the mobs nuts. It also gives rangers a reason to melee. Never having a spell eaten to an out of range error message again will be a great feeling.

Rangers in their current form are basically autoshot bots, whereas in the past they were intended to be somewhat of a melee/ranged hybrid. Glacial strike was never intended to be a nuke you wove in between bow shots.

You do realize Glacial Strike had literally 0 range to it? It wasn’t a ranged spell. It was meant for close range combat - the idea behind a spell being a jump-in spell is not what a spell is meant to be.

This didn’t come at the cost of a majority of your class’ play time because it took a minute to cast again anyway?
Yeah I know its been short range..... It never should have been. it doesn't take a min to cast it's near instant. Its not hard to weave in at all.

Yeah I know its been short range..... It never should have been. it doesn't take a min to cast it's near instant. Its not hard to weave in at all.
It was always intended to be short range. It replaced a spell that was actually useless with a spell to be semi useful in situations where you had to melee. Being short range was the entire damn point.

It was always intended to be short range. It replaced a spell that was actually useless with a spell to be semi useful in situations where you had to melee. Being short range was the entire damn point.
And then they replaced the spell it was supposed to go along with to something that went with range and they moved away from melee stuff for years.

Last edited:
what if they changed glacial strike into something to help ranger pets survive instead, like a pet rune? maybe it'd provide some utility, it could hit other pets too? kinda just bouncing some ideas here

what if they changed glacial strike into something to help ranger pets survive instead, like a pet rune? maybe it'd provide some utility, it could hit other pets too? kinda just bouncing some ideas here

Yeah it is kinda odd the way things went.

They got some idea to make Rangers a melee hybrid but had the pet rune, it wasn't working and got scrapped, both the whole melee thing and the pet rune. Just to then add a pet to ranger's and then add another melee focused spell.

When I made my Ranger I made it because I wanted a none pet class that was range but I could box with a healer once in a while. Now apparently they want it to have more melee focus and added a pet......

And then they replaced the spell it was supposed to go along with to something that went with range and they moved away from melee stuff for years.
Flaring blades was replaced because it was brokenly overpowered actually, not because we were trying to move rangers away from a particul play style. If you played with the spell while it existed you would know exactly what I am talking about. Glacier strike was never meant to be this awkward poke in spell on 60 seconds to use in between 2 bow shots. You might not like the idea of a melee window spell but that was always the aim for this spell. It should have been changed back at the same time flaring blades was removed in a perfect world, but that doesn't mean it had to just stay as it was forever. It was a badly designed spell with the current ranger kit, so it got changed. It isn't where it needs to be right now but it was because I wanted to err on the side of caution because I didn't want it to be too powerful. It will be getting adjustments in the future.

Flaring blades was replaced because it was brokenly overpowered actually, not because we were trying to move rangers away from a particul play style. If you played with the spell while it existed you would know exactly what I am talking about. Glacier strike was never meant to be this awkward poke in spell on 60 seconds to use in between 2 bow shots. You might not like the idea of a melee window spell but that was always the aim for this spell. It should have been changed back at the same time flaring blades was removed in a perfect world, but that doesn't mean it had to just stay as it was forever. It was a badly designed spell with the current ranger kit, so it got changed. It isn't where it needs to be right now but it was because I wanted to err on the side of caution because I didn't want it to be too powerful. It will be getting adjustments in the future.

IMO and I know mine doesn't really count for anything, Ranger's have always been effectively and archer class. That's why I made it in the first place. Melee is a tiny fraction of what most ranger's do and while it would be helpful to have more melee stuff to do so by taking away from range dps play style (which is what 97%+ of what rangers do in fights to max dps) comes off as a nerf.

TBH I don't think you can really balance melee/range either.

1: you make rangers do just as good at melee or close to as good as range and it steps on rog's, bards, mnk's, and bsts
2: you gimp range and bump up melee a bit so they're kinda balanced and now it's a meh class
3: Make them really good at and focused on melee but to focus on melee would require an entire re-work of the class since the bulk of AA, class tomes and spells are built on an Archer. (almost feel's like a round-about way to make Arcane Knights)

Archer's btw in a lot of RPG's are a primary bow user with some mild ability to melee but a heavy heavy focus on their bows which is what SoD ranger's have been.

After further testing using a 16 and an 18 delay weapon I've had a number of rounds of the proc buff where it didn't proc a single time, and have yet to get the spell to produce the same potential damage it was capable of in it's previous form. Congrats it's nerfed in range and melee use.

Last edited:
After further testing using a 16 and an 18 delay weapon I've had a number of rounds of the proc buff where it didn't proc a single time, and have yet to get the spell to produce the same potential damage it was capable of in it's previous form. Congrats it's nerfed in range and melee use.
Like I said, it still has to be adjusted, I misjudged the power of it's initial implementation. Really I think the best way to handle a spell like this it to make it last until x amount of procs happen. We don't have a way to do this yet but it is possible and would feel a lot better, since one of the issues with the current implementation is because how short 2tics can be.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom