Bane and Archery

Zengo

Dalayan Adventurer
Hello,
I just recently started playing a Ranger again and I have a few questions about Bane stuff and Archery.
1) I believe I understand how Bane works on weapons. If a weapon is a 10/20 ratio and it has a +3 mod to fire on it, then the weapon would be a 13/20 ratio against mobs that are extremely weak to fire. Do bows work in the same fashion. If a bow has a Bane mod on it does it work against mobs that are weak to what is listed on the bow? Would a +3 bow to Lesser Elementals enhance hitting a fire elemental for higher damage?
2) In keeping with the above question, would it be better to use Fire Bane arrows or Cold Bane Arrows on the above mob?
3) Would the +3 bow in question 1 work on spells as well? Does items in the Range slot work to enhance spells as items in other slots do? Would a dot have +3 extra damage per tick on an lesser elemental mob or would it only apply if using archery.
4) Last question on Bane, is there a general rule on when it is better to use bane arrows that are associated with the mob or when to use arrows on what resist the mob is weak against?
Thank you very much for your time. I can't always get my head around the bane stuff and how it works depending on the slot that bane is on.

1) i guess that's correct, the reason i guess is because i can't think of any bows off the top of my head with bane damage on them, just elemental damage.
2) it would be better to use lesser elemental arrows on a lesser elemental mob, however cold arrows are used a lot and considered the best for all purpose arrows in exp and such because rangers have a spell that debuffs cold resist.
3) bane damage doesn't work on spells
4) it is always better (to my knowledge) to use bane arrows against the proper mob's bane

Hm that's an interesting item. You really don't see many bane damage bows in the game, especially in the raid game

Hello,
1) If a bow has a Bane mod on it does it work against mobs that are weak to what is listed on the bow? Would a +3 bow to Lesser Elementals enhance hitting a fire elemental for higher damage?

There are two types of damage modifiers on weapons - "bane" and "elemental" - the former only works versus mobs that have that bane body type, but cannot be resisted (you need to use either Jayla's Insight or Identifty Taxonomy to figure out body type, though most things are pretty logical - skeletons are undead, wolves are nature, etc.) whereas the latter works on everything, but can be resisted. So to answer your question a bow with +3 Lesser Elemental bane would have a +3 mod for any mob that has the body type of Lesser Elemental. Most fire elementals outside of raid zones will fall into that category.

2) In keeping with the above question, would it be better to use Fire Bane arrows or Cold Bane Arrows on the above mob?
Fire/Cold are elemental damage modifiers and not bane damage, meaning they can be resisted. Fire elementals are likely more resistant to fire, so cold is better.

3) Would the +3 bow in question 1 work on spells as well? Does items in the Range slot work to enhance spells as items in other slots do? Would a dot have +3 extra damage per tick on an lesser elemental mob or would it only apply if using archery.

Bane damage doesn't get added to spells. But elemental damage does, to spells of that type. So a +3 cold damage on a bow would add +3 damage to all your cold-based spells. When this applies to dot spells it doesn't add +3 per tick but rather +3 for the whole duration (so a 5dmg/tick for 3 ticks would become a 6dmg/tick, etc.).

4) Last question on Bane, is there a general rule on when it is better to use bane arrows that are associated with the mob or when to use arrows on what resist the mob is weak against?

Bane damage against a body type cannot be resisted, so generally will be higher damage. But, if you're fighting a lot of different body types its far more convenient to use an elemental type of arrow - cold being preferred in many cases.

The other important thing to note about bane is that the weapon and the rest of your gear are separate. Meaning bane dmg on the weapon stacks with only your highest bane dmg from the rest of your gear... at least so I've been told, I haven't parsed it. I assume bows count as a weapon in this regard.

If I'm not mistaken bane on a weapon adds directly to dmg, but on other gear it's not direct. Like a 5 dmg weapon with 5 undead bane will be 10 vs undead, 5 vs everything else, but 5 undead bane on say a hat, would not make it 10 dmg. It's some obscure calculation that is less than direct, and supposedly barely parsable (sp?) below like 6 bane. Like 11 bane on a face might add a couple dmg to that bane type, idk. Someone please correct me if that's off-base.

If I'm not mistaken bane on a weapon adds directly to dmg, but on other gear it's not direct. Like a 5 dmg weapon with 5 undead bane will be 10 vs undead, 5 vs everything else, but 5 undead bane on say a hat, would not make it 10 dmg. It's some obscure calculation that is less than direct, and supposedly barely parsable (sp?) below like 6 bane. Like 11 bane on a face might add a couple dmg to that bane type, idk. Someone please correct me if that's off-base.

Yeah bane on a weapon adds directly to the weapon ratio. So a +1 bane 5dmg/10delay weapon would be 6dmg/10delay against the bane type.

Bane on armor scales based on weapon ratio (otherwise a low delay weapon with proper bane could become ridiculously overpowered) . So a 5dmg/10delay weapon with a +1 bane from armor would become a 5.x/10delay against the bane type. I haven't parsed it so I don't know the exact numbers, but once you get up to the higher armor bane items it becomes quite significant.

I am under the belief that how bane is applied depends on the slot, not necessarily what is put there. For instance, if you were to put a shield on that for whatever reason had 10 chaotic bane, it would add 10 chaotic dmg to bashs done to mobs of that body type while wearing that shield, not a 10% bonus to strikes with the primary weapon because this is how its coded by slot.

I believe the opposite is true for bows and items in range slot, they add a %increase to damage done to creatures of that body type. If that weren't true, why put bane damage on ranged stat items in the first place? See saitha and gongo ranges for clarification.

This could be entirely wrong, but this is my understanding. Can staff confirm?

from what i know non weapon range items (gongo and saitha range) give their bane via armor style where as items like shadow shurikens and bows with bane on them give their bane when using said item against mobs of their bane types.

there are some items i question though such as:
queens gambit (prim/sec/range wearable 1 monster bane dagger) - does it only apply the bane as a weapon (prim/sec) or does it add the bane in range slot via armor type bane?
Hewn manguadinite pauldrons (clockwork/construct bane) - is it typical armor bane or does it only add its bane via slam or both?

THE REAL QUESTION is - why hasnt more bane been added on higher tier items and why is their a clear lack of decent bane items of certain banes (seriously there is like 1 or 0 bane items at high-end that have bane types such as young race (shar vahl shield), greater/planar elemental (pofrost book and wrist from yclist). im sure there are some hidden items not found that cover some of this but at the same time many items that had bane and lost it have yet to receive any in return. i can only hope this issue gets looked at after 2.5 or something.

there are some items i question though such as:
queens gambit (prim/sec/range wearable 1 monster bane dagger) - does it only apply the bane as a weapon (prim/sec) or does it add the bane in range slot via armor type bane?
This is exactly my point, and why i've come to believe that these mods are slot coded.
from what i know non weapon range items (gongo and saitha range) give their bane via armor style where as items like shadow shurikens and bows with bane on them give their bane when using said item against mobs of their bane types.
Well in respect to Shadow Shurikens, because they are multi slot, I believe the both mod methods apply as you described above with the fae dagger, straight damage from ammo as well as a % increase from range. Similar to bane on arrows and having bane from a bow in range.

My assumption has always been that if an item has a ratio, bane damage is added directly to the ratio of the item it is on. And if there is no ratio, it adds to equipped weapons scaled for delay.

Meaning that items like Queen's Gambit (which has a ratio) effectively have no bane benefit when used in the range slot. Also that shields add bane like other non-ratio items (i.e., not to bash).

Back
Top Bottom