Athica Spell vendors

Elerabin21k

Dalayan Beginner
I've recently been trying to buy my mage spells from athica as my baby gnome mage. None of the mage guild NPCS want anything to do with me. As far as I understand it, there is no real way to raise reputation for them?

I was wondering if a method of raising rep with them would be feasible, or at the very least bumping gnome rep with them, seeing as athica is the second city you reach naturally as a gnome that has int caster spells sold at it.

I'm kinda new here so I'm not sure if there is a reason gnomes are dubious with the high elven caster, but if there isn't it would be greatly appreciated if someone could take a look at that. My short gnomish legs will thank you!

Thank you!

Welcome back to SoD!

You have three options if you insist on buying from Athica B:
  1. Ask a stranger to do your shopping for you. Most veterans would be happy to help a lowbie fill out his or her spellbook!
  2. Ask an Enchanter for Illusion: High Elf. (Playable race illusions are targetable here with the exception of Vah.)
  3. Roll a HIE MAG and 2box him alongside your GNM MAG to make the purchases you need at the guild.
    • Bonus points if you put 25 points into CHA to save yourself some coin!
The faction you're looking for is Arcane Academy, which for some inexplicable reason looks to be shared between the caster guilds in Newport, Athica, and Oggok. (I imagine this was an oversight or a time-saving measure way back in the server's early days.) There is only one documented quest to raise the faction, but the boost is tiny and only earnable once every 10 days at Level 50+.

Many old factions here are unexpectedly xenophobic because the old EQ faction mechanics (infinitely raisable faction via kills, nearly all quests being infinitely repeatable, etc.) were chucked out early on in the server's development. Unfortunately, SoD never developed a comprehensive replacement, so there are lots of inconsistencies in terms of which factions can be raised and which can't. Some of our factions are infinitely raisable without much effort, like Thurgadin's Shadow Dwarves faction via Harthuk Horns, yet many other factions are completely unraisable outside of race/class modifiers or clickies with effects like Alliance. To make matters worse, almost all factions can still be demolished with a misclick of the Pet Attack button or that pesky Spellsurge AA button.

At one point, a staff member implemented Master Reconciliator Gorbix to allow players to reset certain problematic factions to their starting values, but the mechanic is extremely clunky and still can't result in any net gains as far as I'm aware.

If you ask me, faction has always felt way too lukewarm in SoD. :( I much prefer the EQ system where race and class choice carry far more weight when it comes to your character's popularity with certain guilds and cities, but SoD's lore pigeonholes pretty much everyone onto more or less the same footing since they're all rallying against that nerd Kaezul.

the difference between 80 Cha and 105 Cha base was a difference of 5 silver and 1 copper on a spell that is what i assume a 10 gold base spell cost. it was 9 gold 8 silver and 2 copper for the 80 cha and 9 gold 3 silver 3 copper for the 105 cha. only base cha effects vendor prices

Very much appreciate the replies! thank you so much for the info grinkle.

I ended up going back to underhill and just grabbing a few spell levels worth because a friendly player gave me a map to vendor for spell money. Honestly the whole thing is a minor inconvenience at worst, just figured I might say something just in case it was not intended haha.

I too, am a fan of having to raise your faction rep to be able to play nice with certain factions, unfortunate that the arcane academy are all snooty and don't offer rep quests haha.

The faction you're looking for is Arcane Academy, which for some inexplicable reason looks to be shared between the caster guilds in Newport, Athica, and Oggok. (I imagine this was an oversight or a time-saving measure way back in the server's early days.) There is only one documented quest to raise the faction, but the boost is tiny and only earnable once every 10 days at Level 50+.
Two. There are two.
#MakeFactionsGreatAgain

Back
Top Bottom