A discussion about Tank Archetype Balance

It may not be something immediately "fixed" but shows the staff there are concerns about classes and some of their mechanics. Either they had the same feelings and were waiting on some community input, or they are seeing this and maybe didn't know this was an issue personally (Not sure if any of the staff even plays a Paladin tbh).

Either way it's just good to have the discussion so it's "out there".

* Except Marza in the beginning*

I have been very vocal with Marza on my opinions on the Paladin class over the past year, and a lot of those discussions have produced past changes (notably the change to the murk spell). However, he has been very busy lately as he is basically the only Dev that does anything with content now. I didn't want to post on the forums because it would just result in Shadow Knights getting nerfed (not that they aren't too strong -- but nerfs are no fun for anyone).

But seeing as Zaela is in hibernation, and although Woldaff is always hovering over his nerf trigger, I figured it was pretty safe to open this up for discussion.

Adding aggro back to Paladin heals was something that I mentioned maybe a year ago, Gerick has brought it up several times, and the majority of the server would agree that it would be a positive change. It seems like a simple enough change to input so I can only gather that this has not gone in because the staff either does not care about Paladins or their complaints due to the driveling idiots that commonly play the class (thanks), or they don't view it as a problem (due to being oblivious or holding onto aged misconceptions).

Hey it's worth bringing up: how long is parry stance lasting in the late-game and have any paladins tried to parse out the rough % of damage reduction it equals out to?

I've mentioned my thoughts about tanks in the past but I guess I may as well put it out there again: rather than giving one tank a relatively massive balance-shifting tweak about once every year or so and letting the complaints pile up until the next one becomes necessary, I'd rather see the tank classes rebuilt from the ground up with definite ideas about what they should be good at and in such a way that their various tanking-, self-healing- and DPS-related aspects can be directly compared and balanced against each other. It would be better than always making additions and renovations when the real problem is a crappy foundation.

If the tanks could be made more fun to play in general (streamlined spell sets, more interactive endurance systems, etc) that would be a plus too.

But then that's the kind of risk no one is really interested in taking. So I'm out again!

I've mentioned my thoughts about tanks in the past but I guess I may as well put it out there again: rather than giving one tank a relatively massive balance-shifting tweak about once every year or so and letting the complaints pile up until the next one becomes necessary, I'd rather see the tank classes rebuilt from the ground up with definite ideas about what they should be good at and in such a way that their various tanking-, self-healing- and DPS-related aspects can be directly compared and balanced against each other. It would be better than always making additions and renovations when the real problem is a crappy foundation.

If the tanks could be made more fun to play in general (streamlined spell sets, more interactive endurance systems, etc) that would be a plus too.

But then that's the kind of risk no one is really interested in taking. So I'm out again!

Zae, what you did with the warrior stances was an awesome step in this direction - making the class more interactive (and therefore fun to play), and really rethinking from the ground up what the class should be good at and capable of doing.

If *anybody* could do the job right, it would be you. You have my vote!

I don't think the warrior stuff turned out very well. In any case, it wasn't that big a change. If I tried to do something with the knights it'd probably be a more drastic alteration, to the point of more of less being new classes that happen to tank still, and use the same gear. But I'm already well aware that new classes aren't an option, so...

I haven't heard a bad word about the warrior changes, but that's just me. I think they made a boring one dimensional class into something a lot more diverse and fun to play! Made me want to roll one as an alt but I already have too many alts!

But I'm already well aware that new classes aren't an option, so...

This is a shame, and whoever made that decision is bad and should feel bad.

But on topic, no one class should be super great at most/all of the things that archetype is meant to do, and it seems like SKs are just that. Sounds like it's time for some changes, but whether it's in scaling SKs back a bit, or bumping up Paladins in a few areas is up to the dev dudes.

Last edited:
no one class should be super great at most/all of the things that class is meant to do, and it seems like SKs are just that.

A Class shouldn't be good/ great at things it's meant to do? Sounds like I'm rolling a Chanter tank since SKs aren't supposed to be good at it.

A Class shouldn't be good/ great at things it's meant to do? Sounds like I'm rolling a Chanter tank since SKs aren't supposed to be good at it.

Yeah, I mistyped and meant to put archetype instead of class the second time. But hey, thanks for being super constructive, and not a total dick about your reply, it's appreciated pal.

Back
Top Bottom