3rd Monk tome.

Snake

Dalayan Elder
Each rank makes the Monk better at sneaking, makes the Monk do less aggro and reduces the aggro range on targets being aggroed, while sneaking.

Rank 1 + 75 skill, 10% less aggro and 15% aggro range reduction on initial aggroing.
Rank 2 + 50 skill, 20% less aggro and 30% aggro range reduction on initial aggroing.
Rank 3 + 25 skill, 30% less aggro and 45% aggro range reduction on initial aggroing.
Rank 4 + 25 skill, 40% less aggro and 60% aggro range reduction on initial aggroing.

Could also reduce the "snare" effect, like 25% per rank, not sure thats to good, not sure it's better that the tome does come with a drawback in lack of mobility while sneaking.

What I'm trying to say with 'range reduction on initial aggro', is when you pull a mob, it aggro other mobs around it, with in a certain range.

Im not sure excatly how that mechanic works. Im pretty sure that the mob getting aggro'ed "calls" out that it is, and anyone with in its "call range", will also aggro.
But if other mobs also have a "listen" range, then just reducing the "call" range might not be enough....

Again not sure how the mechnic works, but I think its lvl based, how far the mob calls, and also how far the other ones "listen" (if they do listen).
So a way to code it, could be by the Monk appearing to be very high lvl, when pulling, that way both the call and listen mechanics would be reduced.

If thats even how it works :p

I think something easy would be a tome to increase there FD skill similar to a bards quiet reflection tome. Also possibility maybe give them a few h2h skill ups for doing the class tome.. or maybe an increased proc chance or and increased dodge or something. Doesn't have to have some crazy game mechanics to make a good class tome.

Even something like 1% percent dodge chance and +3 h2h and +3 FD skill per rank or some kind of combo like that would be cool

Honestly probably don't need much help with dps. Maybe something to help pulling like the AA on live where spells don't break your FD, or maybe something to help with auxing since the last monk redesign made monk auxing more of a thing...something like less ripostes while auxing, or less getting eaten from rage, or less getting eaten by a ds, etc. Personally I like the pulling one, and think it makes the most sense, but the other would give a little more emphasis toward the whole monk auxer narrative if that's a desired thing. (I personally like that one a lot less because I don't really want to aux anyway, heh...). I do think Alph's innate paci idea would be kinda cool, and I'm sure a lot of folks wouldn't mind something with less agro for monks (although if that happened, I'd personally rather it be activated instead of permanent, since sometimes we actually want agro, and we can already feign it off if needed.)

I too would prefer it to be a targeted thing, but I can't think of a way to make it work in the client (get a spell? Seems odd)... Thats why I build it around the sneak button, and why the tome needs to increase sneak skill (less/no fail).

The aggro reduction came about, cause I was in a group recently, where... I think it was Paxit... said that monks should get a low aggro stance (I was pulling aggro like no tomorrow, and often when I FD late, I was killing the exp :mad:), and it fit with the "less aggro while sneaking" - theme.

I too would prefer it to be a targeted thing, but I can't think of a way to make it work in the client (get a spell? Seems odd)... Thats why I build it around the sneak button, and why the tome needs to increase sneak skill (less/no fail).

The aggro reduction came about, cause I was in a group recently, where... I think it was Paxit... said that monks should get a low aggro stance (I was pulling aggro like no tomorrow, and often when I FD late, I was killing the exp :mad:), and it fit with the "less aggro while sneaking" - theme.

Yeah, on one hand there's the whole narrative where we shouldn't need anything because we can just feign off agro, and especially because almost all other classes don't get such an absolute agro dropping mechanic like we do (they also don't have to deal with agro as much). That being said, we almost all box most of the time, so of the third of my death count that isn't due to craz or irelc playing hugh, I bet half of those that were actually me are from me not noticing hugh got agro while I was on the box....and then of course there's the whole assistance penalty if we fd too late... Idk, I do like the whole lower agro stance idea (like rogue stance 5), but I really really don't want a knee-jerk fix for monk agro, since it's an aspect of the class that I use a lot. I wish the active and passive ef tomes were activate-able. I get nervous every time monk agro gets brought up in public, since 4 times out of 5 I've ended up preferring the old version when monks get changed. I guess the sneak thing could be a solution, idk.

As far as the targeted thing, I know on live later on at some point we were given some pulling think that was like a skill button...throws a rock or something, but I feel like the range on it sucked or something, so I just stuck with the potime throwers or whatever it was I was using to pull with at the time, idr. But I only played through DoN (the one after OoW), so this client should support whatever that thing was that I didn't really ever end up using. Even so, idk that it would be very simple to code a lower agro pulling mechanic on that thing.

I still think something that augs our fd against spell breaks would be cooler (we'd have to still eat the dmg so it couldn't just cheese aoe fights), but either thing supports pulling, and I'd be pretty down with anything that would put pulling more firmly back in the monk's court.

I was under the impression that Rymy already has these tomes figured out but is just waiting on final approval to implement. Could be wrong.

On live monks got an AA that increased their chance to resist spells while flopped (like Hugh mentioned), was called like body of stone or rock body or something. I would't mind that. They also got a disc that was a single target lull that had a very short duration (12-16 seconds) and a cooldown equal to its duration that made it so you could only really have it up on one target at a time. This had uses but ultimately sucked unless you were pulling in an open field with no wall or LoS location that you could flop by. I wouldn't mind that either but would still fall under the category of highly situational.

In my experience social aggro is more of a mob to mob basis and not set by level of the mob vs level of the puller. I could be wrong but having pulled t1-t11 that has been the impression I've gotten.

Sneak is disabled when you take damage. That would make attacking while having sneak up fucking annoying. Rampage, Whirlwind, any spell AoE (of which there is just so much) or a failure in intimidate would mean that the tome was useless a lot of the time and make "Jousting" horrific.

Monks already get a reduced chance to avoid riposte when auxing if using 2 weapons (which is realistically the only time you want to be auxing anyway with the additional HP/AC associated with having weapons equipped and not attacking at lightning speed with bare hands).

With the way enrage works a "strike through" tome wouldn't do much if anything to help with that. An enraging mob has a 100% chance to riposte any melee attack from the front and all special defensive skills are determined before accuracy is rolled. You can never "miss" an enraging mob. It would help while auxing but also increase accuracy from behind which would probably push monk DPS up too high.

Assistance penalty I think would be better fixed by coding that if a monk is in the group they just don't cause it but its manageable when how it works is take into account. In order to defeat assistance penalty a monk must do more damage than they did before they flopped off the aggro. Flop earlier/more often. With that in mind I wouldn't hate seeing the monk tome decrease the amount of time it takes to get their focus bonus. like 2/2/3/3 secs off the time. That would give monks who invested more heavily into -aggro or managed their aggro better a "skill" edge in their dps but again that might be too much of an increase to a class that already has a lot going for it both offensively and defensively.

If I really had my way though I would make a tome that made Wall of Will an actually useful stance. As it stands now any mez, charm or fear after t3 isn't stopped by it (even though its supposed to make you immune) and the resist bonus is hardly noticeable. That would give monks a nice "hmm, I am pulling a group of casters so I should pop this cooldown" so they didn't get their FD broken.

While we're on the subject, can they make empowered tiger claw actually generate more aggro than an empowered flying kick?

Didn't realize taking damage breaks sneak, that is a problem for my suggestion (I just tested if attack on broke it, it didn't, so I just assumed only hitting Sneak again, stopped it...)

If Rymy already have all the missing tomes made, well then it doesn't matter anyway I suppose :p

Is that the case? Can any staff member confirm please? (I'll stop spending my nights trying to think out sweet idea's, if thats the case :confused::rolleyes:)

Back
Top Bottom