3.0 Update - 7/10/13

Taryth

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it might be fun to post on what's happening with 3.0. I think most folks now know that 3.0 is alive again, and we actually ARE hard at work on it. My hope is to post like this every so often just so folks know things are moving forward, and what we're up to.

3.0 has a LOT of moving parts. Since it was last attempted, EQEmu has undergone a lot of very nice revisions, and we decided to work based off that most current code base, while salvaging pieces from the previous attempt at 3.0 conversion. Suffice it to say, this is a massive undertaking. Right now, we've identified the key pieces of functionality to be moved, problems we're going to need to resolve, and some questions about the quest engine and how it would be done.

A couple of important steps have been taken, like figuring out how to isolate the Shards code without completely tearing up EQEmu code. I feel pretty good about how we're going about that now. Other behind-the-scenes things that we couldn't easily do in 2.0 have also been migrated, or we have a plan for it.

That said, there is still a very long list of things to do, but we're building the infrastructure to allow it to be "plugged in" from old 2.0 code. Once that part of the project is done, it's really a matter of scouring the old code, pulling out SoD-specific things, and fitting it into our new model, which is just a time thing.

Lots of questions have been asked about things like mercs and bots. As of now, the initial release of 3.0 is designed to replicate 2.0 functionality with a few fixes, some simplifications, and changes to key things that we can roll in easily without major game changes. Any kind of new cool things like mercs will be a discussion for after initial release.

What I can tell you is that the new client is really nice comparatively. The graphics are better, the flexibility is increased (we can do some things we couldn't before), and a lot of bugs like the NVidea bug are resolved. It's pretty refreshing.

So that's my inaugural post on the subject. Work is definitely progressing, the quest team is working insanely hard at prepping the newer system, and we can't wait to get things into beta. It will be awhile, but I will try to keep folks updated.

Taryth the Inheritor of Classes

Keep 'rocking' on!

I'll have to find a target ring I like so I am ready to go when your release!

Huzzah!

Would one of the things that you couldn't do before include either implementing auras or increasing buff slots?

Last edited:
This has probably already been answered but with the client update will more upgraded UI clients be able to be used in 3.0 that's not able to be used in 2.0?

Not sure if anyone ever posted something like this, showing the differences/ improvements to going from Titanium client to Underfoot.

Hunter said:
Each client that is compatible with EQEmu offers a different list of available features. Titanium is considered the base client for EQEmu, so its features are not listed here currently. For each later client, they include all features from their list as well as all features from previous clients unless noted otherwise.

Added in SoF:
1. 8 more bank slots for a total of 24 bank slots instead of the normal 16 from Titanium (tons of extra space).
2. Group member location markers on your in-game map (if you turn it on)
3. 60 page spell book (Titanium book is only 50 pages)
4. Better game lighting so you can actually see when playing human/barbarians/etc.
5. New Drakkin playable Race
6. 80 new zones
7. 250+ new weapon models
8. New Power Source Slot
9. Heroic Stats and Resists as well as other new stats like Heal Amount, BS Damage, Spell Damage, Etc.
10. Client handles level 70-75+ properly, where Titanium skills do not show up correctly.
11. 600+ New Item Icons
12. 113 new NPC Races
13. 10 Character Slots at Character Select as apposed to 8 in Titanium
14. The Loot All option now works when looting corpses.
15. Not restricted to a max spell ID of 9999 like Titanium is, which means that reaching higher levels with full spells is possible.
16. Zoning time is generally noticeably faster.
17. Updated classic textures. (Zones from Classic-Velious had their texture's modified to be 'clearer' and less fuzzy or pixelated. Making environments look much nicer even in old world zones)
18. Blocked Buffs feature allows buffs to be specified to be blocked.

Added in SoD:
1. The Group Window now shows Mana and Endurance bars for each of your party members in addition to the HP and Pet HP.
2. Dozens of new zones, new NPC races, hundreds of new weapon models and item icons.
3. Zoning time is generally noticeably faster.
4. SoD is more stable than SoF (by far) and even Titanium.
5. SoD has better multi-boxing support than SoF and Titanium, at least for Multi-Core CPU systems.
6. Platinum no longer adds weight to your character.
7. You can now see the buffs that other players have on them in the target buff window.
8. Most UIs (from 2009 to now work) with SoD with little to no extra changes needed.
5. You can now copy the UI setup from one character to another from in-game. This means you set 1 character up perfectly, and all of your other chars can just copy it.
6. You can set the frame rate of EQ windows running in the background, which makes boxing performance considerably nicer depending on how you set it.
7. You can re-size your window size to any size by stretching it like SoF, but in SoD, you can also lock the size so you don't accidentally re-size it.
8. SoD has multi-core support and works very well with modern PC hardware. It sets your first instance of EQ to only use 1 CPU core, and if you start a second instance of EQ, it sets it to the next available CPU core and so on, so it helps balance CPU load when multiboxing.
9. WinEQ is obsolete in SoD.
10. Facial features while using illusions works perfectly, where previous clients have minor issues with them.
11. Levitate no longer causes you to bob up and down and instead you just float there.
12. Holding down left click can now be used to rotate around your character while in 3rd person view, just like most current MMOs allow.
13. Revamped AA window (compresses AAs into 4 tabs. General/Archtype/Class/Special)
14. Blind no longer removes the UI.
15. Revamped item windows (clearer layout and the names of equip-able items are displayed in Red (if you can't equip) or Green (If you can equip) which takes into account your class/race/deity and level. Prevents the ever popular "Opps I looted it and can't use it LOL sorry" mistakes.)
16. Group leader's names are highlighted in green (If you're the leader your name in your personal info box, Alt+C, will be green.)
17. Higher Base HP/Mana/Endurance (scales with level) due to a change in the base HP/Mana/Endurance formulas.
18. Can equip items with level requirements at any level (However you get no benefits and if it's a weapon attacking something says the mob is 'invulnerable' and you can't use procs/clickies/focuses.)

Added in Underfoot:
1. Loads models/races etc much more efficiently. Drastically reducing RAM/CPU usage.
2. Revamped pet window. (Is now fully resizable and allows you to tie ANY pet commands into the hotbuttons, which there are now 14 hotbuttons on the window total, including AA commands such as /pet hold allowing you to save space on your hotbutton bars. Do this by right clicking a hotbutton and selecting a command from the pop-up window. New commands become available as AAs are purchased.)
3. In-Inventory Stats Tab that provides a very detailed breakdown of all character stats.

Colored some I am excited about.

Last edited:
That is a lot of good changes, I quit EQ before these features were available, so I had no idea this would be possible. Very nice!

We'll have the option to let you see a "respawn options" window when you die rather than being instantly punted to bind, lets you hang around as a corpse waiting for a rez and talk etc for up to <however long we specify>. Also makes it possible to add options other than "bind point" to go to upon death if we want 'em (like an "Evac to Erimal" option during wars or "current zone safe spot" during special events, or maybe multiple bind spots). Think that was from SoD?

I'm sure there's more little things. (Working guild manager, working combat ability interface, potential quest tracking interface thingy, 4 off-inventory "tribute" item slots with their own restricted equip/unequip UI we might be able to fudge to do something interesting with, etc.)

3s55k9.jpg

There has been much talk in Dalayan Beginners lately of the difficulties in organizing adept raids. These are mobs that so many individuals--especially newcomers--are eager to take on, yet most of the time, these people write the adepts off as undoable because they require an impractical amount of patience and diligence (and possibly explocking the one character they're so eager to advance!). That said, has any thought been given to marrying Live's Shroud system to our adept system? I assume this'll be one aspect of the updated client that will be unimplemented because its purpose on Live doesn't really gel with SoD, but if Shrouds were somehow limited to adepts and a "no loot" code were imposed on all Shrouded toons, it might renew interest in our server's unique adept system.

(For the record, I'm talking a level 65+ toon Shrouding down to, say, a level 20 goblin cleric in order to join a Fleshflower raid that would otherwise be short on heals. Shrouding is coded such that the real toon's gear and AAs and spells and such are suspended for the duration of the Shroud, so their role in the raid would be limited but still better than an empty spot in the group.)

Last edited:
There has been much talk in Dalayan Beginners lately of the difficulties in organizing adept raids. These are mobs that so many individuals--especially newcomers--are eager to take on, yet most of the time, these people write the adepts off as undoable because they require an impractical amount of patience and diligence (and possibly explocking the one character they're so eager to advance!). That said, has any thought been given to marrying Live's Shroud system to our adept system? I assume this'll be one aspect of the updated client that will be unimplemented because its purpose on Live doesn't really gel with SoD, but if Shrouds were somehow limited to adepts and a "no loot" code were imposed on all Shrouded toons, it might renew interest in our server's unique adept system.

(For the record, I'm talking a level 65+ toon Shrouding down to, say, a level 20 goblin cleric in order to join a Fleshflower raid that would otherwise be short on heals. Shrouding is coded such that the real toon's gear and AAs and spells and such are suspended for the duration of the Shroud, so their role in the raid would be limited but still better than an empty spot in the group.)

I feel really strongly that some form of Shrouding would be a huge boon to Dalaya. One of our huge problems is underpopulation that makes it hard for people, especially lowbies, to find groups to really experience the game's content. Shrouding would make it possible for experienced players and friendly volunteers to assist our new players in ways that will make those new players stay.

Back
Top Bottom