2.5 Status - 6/20

Taryth

Administrator
Staff member
I've been lax getting these out, sorry about that.

Believe it or not, we've been doing a lot, it's just been kind of quiet. Of most significance I suppose:

- We've finished out (to the best of my knowledge) our client hacks. This allows us to modify, in real time, things the client is hardcoded to do that we disagree with. Most notable is re-enabling the hand-in of stacks of things (the client officially disallows this, we hacked in a fix), as well as making /petition function the way it used to (the client calls it "/guidehelp" now whereas /petition takes you to this awful web form - we made it so they both behave identically). IMO, this is the coolest part of 2.5, even though the changes seem like not a huge deal. Being able to modify the client on the fly though is insanely powerful...

- I have completely ripped up our map and pathing code and replaced it with the EQEmu stuff with some help from the venerable KLS. I have not yet tested it, but it should correct some of the bad pathing and z-axis stuff and give us more flexibility with water in the future

- We are working on getting AAs set up in the new system - it sounds like the person working on this made some major strides, though I have not seen it

- We fixed the "mob constantly stuns you" bug, yay

No update on dates yet - we need to test these big things. I think right now we're almost to the point of considering a "seems mostly functional" release assuming it doesn't ruin everyone's character - this would allow us to focus efforts solely on 2.5 rather than both games right now, which would be great. I don't know if this is what will happen, but it's been floated, we'll see I suppose.

The client hacks sound awesome and full of potential.

Since I enjoy many features of later client versions, and since I have a friend who wants to try SoD with me but is holding off until the 2.5 client upgrade (so that he can use some of the targeting keybindings and other stuff that he is used to), I am eager to see the 2.5 client put up for use on the main SoD server. Granted, I am only a newbie whose highest level character on the server is a 38, but there's my opinion for you.

If you can fix the most gamebreaking bugs and confirm no character corruption / etc., I say go for it.

This all sounds like good stuff. Very exciting.

- I have completely ripped up our map and pathing code and replaced it with the EQEmu stuff with some help from the venerable KLS. I have not yet tested it, but it should correct some of the bad pathing and z-axis stuff and give us more flexibility with water in the future

Could you explain what exactly this means to those of us not familiar with EQEmu? Does this mean pathing will work somewhat like on live? The end of wall splitting?

Yeah... on Live pathing often gets abused for the sake of cheese AoE kiting strategies using spells that can hit an infinite number of targets and cause whole zones to lag out. Even in non-exploitative cases, depending on your connectivity the pathing can make mob movement look really twitchy/not fluid, since mobs change direction suddenly and sometimes run back and forth for a moment before settling on a course. :x

Granted, "I choose the shortest possible line between you and me and run there, magically bypassing walls and other obstructions" is not exactly ideal either, but the rest of mob combat AI and mob class diversity is so much better here than on Live that I'm not going to complain too hard. xD

was there a character wipe at some point? I went to log in for the first time in a while and the characters I made seem to be gone

was there a character wipe at some point? I went to log in for the first time in a while and the characters I made seem to be gone

I believe jumbers just wiped all characters on 2.5 because of an issue with the player profile. On the brighter side, we can start using 2.0 characters that we copy over on 2.5 now.

Any idea when this will happen? would make testing stuff a lot easier to have two good characters rather than having to level from 1 :p

Not sure, once I stop travelling like crazy for work, I will be able to settle down for more than 5 minutes and see where we are at. My understanding is that things should be reasonably stable, but I still haven't had a chance to test maps yet.

Back
Top Bottom