2.5 Status - 10/31/13

Taryth

Administrator
Staff member
It's been another busy week, with significant developments.

By far the biggest is around groups and raids. Both systems, which are related, have major changes between the clients, more than we had anticipated I think. So I bit the bullet and ripped out all the old group and raid code, replacing it with newer 3.0/EQEmu stuff. Amazingly, it didn't break everything!

However, there is one problem I have been chasing for 2 days - the leader never gets group updates. The group functions are stupid complex, and it's infuriating that 90% of it works, but the last 10% is just evading my debugging skills.

But, this comes with good news. You can now see HP, mana AND endurance of your group mates. Now endurance may be hard to get right, because we really mucked with how endurance works, but being able to see group mana is nothing short of awesome.

Another thing I *think* this will open up opportunities for is raid management. Remember when you, as a raid leader, could move people between groups on Live? Yeah, I am hoping we'll get that too, but as usual no promises until I see it for myself. But the infrastructure is there. Same for leadership AAs and such, though if we DO implement these, we might use a totally different system. This is more likely a 3.0 feature, but the hooks are there to make it happen.

I'm hoping that these efforts will make groups and raids more stable. It has been highly painful, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

So here's the bullet list as of right now for this week:

- Migrated groups and raids to 3.0/EQEmu code. Still debugging to do, but groups are 90% done, raids have not been tested yet.

- MASSIVE string fixes (thanks Slaar!). Things will look far more sensible now. We probably have a number to do, but we literally validated/fixed over 10,000 instances.

- Fixed ground spawns, which was a hilarious problem.

- Containers can now be deleted

- On track to fix certain skill-ups and books displaying correctly

People asked for screenshots, I will try to do that! The feedback I am getting, aside from "OMG YAY NO MORE GRAPHICS BUGS!" is that the water and lighting is beautiful and much improved. I personally like some of the particle effects, and non-bouncy lev.

-t

P.S. once I have groups and raids done, we will be inviting some more alpha testers to come help out. I wish that would be tomorrow, but I have no idea how long it will take me to track this problem down. ><

Last edited:
Super cool, great work!!!

Has anyone with older ATI Radeons reported that they now see a target ring?
Has anyone with an older computer made any comments about performance changes?

- Fixed ground spawns, which was a hilarious problem.

I could use a laugh today if you care to elaborate :)

From what I grasped, groundspawn hillarity came (along other things) in the way of tradeskill containers essentially being groundspawns that our client knows not to pick up. 2.5 client, not so much...

From what I grasped, groundspawn hillarity came (along other things) in the way of tradeskill containers essentially being groundspawns that our client knows not to pick up. 2.5 client, not so much...

Having 8 forges as Containers seems pretty A+.

Seems like this happened:

Normal: I see a forge. I click it. It opens up. I can insert stuff into it and do combines.

2.5: I see a forge. I click it. That picks it up and places it on my cursor as a bag (but still a forge). I can now have a forge as one of my bags. Tarutao begins squeeing like a little girl getting a pony for her birthday.

Is that in the ballpark?

It's really less funny than you're speculating:
Code:
- Fixed ground spawns (x and y were backward)

has the failed scripting on events been addressed yet? Possibly a looping error with pearl? Just throwing out idea's.

We don't use perl for scripting (thank god). Nothing with respect to the event scripting system should be getting changed, though that's kind of a broad question I suppose. Script problems come in different flavors, and in all the cases I've seen they have been more of an issue of the script than the parsing engine. That said, it's possible we'll find something as we continue to work through 2.5 issues, but there's nothing specific that we're doing in the scripting arena.

Super cool, great work!!!

Has anyone with older ATI Radeons reported that they now see a target ring?

Yep, have target rings.

Has anyone with an older computer made any comments about performance changes?

No, but I will once I get real 'net back.

I could use a laugh today if you care to elaborate :)

Did you know that you can't use a forge when it's underwater in SNP? But for a time you could brew at the entrance of NNP, had to dodge the barrel & oven when you tried to get through the gate...

Back
Top Bottom