2.5 is what?

Hesyous

Dalayan Elder
Please forgive me....

I've read though almost every sticky in this part of the forum and most of the posts in general. I am missing it....

What is 2.5? More content? Client side update? All in one huge package upgrade of in game everything? Is there a "2.5 contains XXX" thread? If so, please be kind and point me there so I can read what's in store for this wonderful update.

Thank you very much,
Hesyous

The band is back together - and we even have a few more members.

This summer we are hoping to make a huge push towards upgrading SoD to the Underfoot client. I am going to be very clear: This is going to take a long time. You will notice that as a theme throughout the post. If you lack the ability to be excited for a long period of time, come back in months. Unless you want to blow all your excitement now, in which case read ahead.

Here is a very abridged list of things we get in the new client:
  • Packetloss Bug, Poof
  • Nvidea Clipping Bug, Poof
  • Radeon Users get Target Rings
  • Brand New UI - Smoother, Faster Running, Better in All Ways
  • A TON of /cmds move into the UI. Styles become clickable Combat Abilities.
  • Around 450 New Item Models. Everything from Kick Ass Lava Swords to House Building Stuff (No shit we can have you build a house if we want to).
  • Around 300 new NPC Models. This includes a ton of new awesome looking models, as well as upgrades to Dragons, Rats, Bats, Skeletons and tons more.
  • 150 Brand New High Definition zones for us to use.
  • A really awesome atlas feature that lets you zoom around the game world in the map screen.
  • The Target of your Target displays in your target window
  • Leadership Abilities including Raid Leader Mob Flagging (big arrows shows up above mob), raidwide main assist, and lots more.
  • Shit tons of available AAs that frankly I have no idea what we are going to do with.
  • Hugely improved graphics. Shadows on everything, you can see your breath when you walk into a cold area... yeah its pretty awesome.
  • Casting a portal makes... a fucking portal! That you walk through! And can see where it goes beforehand by looking into it!
  • A much more robust server, less lag, less crashes, less everything you hate.
  • Sounds are no longer just annoying horribleness, you can hear your friends while in combat, use emotes with voices in them, and the music is actually not terrible.
And tons more. That is just what I came up with off the top of my head in the five minutes I took to write it. The new client is basically a brand new game, with the features you would expect from a newly released MMO, that will have all of SoD's content.

But this will take a ton of work. We are at the very least, many months away. Still, we have made a few huge strides in the right direction, namely four things that were extremely technically difficult. Yet now with the technically difficult things in hand, we have to basically recode our entire game to be compatible with the new client. This is a HUGE undertaking, and as of now we are a team of around 8. We have 9 years of SoD history to port over.

At some point this forum will be where we ask you to post bugs you find with the new server in beta. For now, I am going to ask the rest of the SoD 3.0 team to post in this forum whenever they have a second with fun or interesting things that are happening so far with the upgrade. You will likely see a lot of me here, too, especially since I am not as robust a coder as the rest of the team and enjoy doing PR. Think of it like a blog! While I am restricting new threads, you are more than welcome to reply to the status updates or whatever else we put in here. I also hope to post requests for help on things that players can pitch in on, such as graphic work and string replacement for the new client.

I hope that this does two things: 1) Lets everyone follow our progress and be as excited as we are, and; 2) Hopefully show how much work is being put in, and thereby explain why less content related work will be going on in game.

The current team:
  • Slaariel - Script Converter Guru and The Only Girl Dev
  • Jumbers - Nocturnal Code Dude of Great Repute, Hardware Guy and Repo Manager.
  • Olive - Actually a girl. Tells Jumbers after 30 hours of being awake to go to sleep. A farmer (not a joke) and a coder.
  • Taryth - New Guy - Has Big Code Chops. Laughs at Buttbot in the 3.0 channel *every time*
  • KLS - New Client Expert from EqEmu! Rode to SoD on his White Horse to help us reboot 3.0. Give many thanks.
  • Meyers - Will code something at some point for sure. Semi-colon expert.
  • Zaela - Mistress of all things Lua.
  • Buttbot - Changes what we say in the 3.0 channel into phrases with the word "Butt" in them.
  • Me, Woldaff - Attempts to make up for his complete lack of applicable skills by making over excited posts to try and drum up attention.
  • More to come, especially as the GM team comes aboard once a beta is in place.

TL:DR Summary: We are upgrading to new client. This is going to take a long time. We will post cool shit on this forum, feel free to reply. Be excited.

Well that took 30 seconds.

Cool I see Kedrin is still abrasive as hell.

2.5 is a Client upgrade, it (I think?) will also put Shards on the public list of EQEMU servers which imo is the biggest boon of the entire project because it might bring some population to the game. Kedrin's post covers the rest, just ignore his own comment.

2.5 is a Client upgrade, it (I think?) will also put Shards on the public list of EQEMU servers which imo is the biggest boon of the entire project because it might bring some population to the game. Kedrin's post covers the rest, just ignore his own comment.
Yah its a super cereal client upgrade that will do everything you just said and add a bunch of new places to add more content and do new things such as more aa's, leadership aa's shrouds AI's etc etc. all depends what staffers want to do with it though

I take NO offence to anyones comment. I am just happy to get a response. And one that has all the information I am looking for. Thanks again!

Someones free to correct me but i believe this will not get us on EQemus login, someone over at EQEMU (My guess is rogean) said no we have to be current, we could be listed on there login server already if that was a thing they desired.

Someones free to correct me but i believe this will not get us on EQemus login, someone over at EQEMU (My guess is rogean) said no we have to be current, we could be listed on there login server already if that was a thing they desired.
2.5 client upgrade is going to make us current.....

I though 2.5 was just the huge stepping stone to 3.0, which would get us current
I always thought that 2.5 or 3.0 would get SoD on EQEMU, but after thinking about it, I have no idea why. I tried to lookup the requirements to get on the EQEMU server list but wasn't able to find then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EQEmu#Popular_servers
Wikipedia seems to imply that SoD isn't on the EQEMU list because it's modded/enhanced too much. But I may misinterpreting this:
They've taken EverQuest, spun it around, and created something of a hybrid between the classic game and something new of their own.

I also thought 2.5 was an intermediate step, but the 3.0 section of the forums are gone. My assumption is that 2.5 advanced to the point of encompassing 3.0 and is now an end point rather than a step. Pure speculation though.

I've got nothing official to cite and this is a touchy subject for both EQemu and SoD, in the past I've talked with woldaff and jumbers about this, as well as having a long running history with eqemu. What I can officially say is it would be completely possible to list us on there current login server with little to no issue, They could list 2.5 as well but won't. I'm assuming rogean is at hand for this. I don't know the official "reasoning", but i do know the unofficial reasoning, get at me in game if you really wanna hear it.
2.5 won't get us on there login witch really blows unless somethings changed drastically in there reasoning =(

Actually if i think about it the official reasoning is probably something along the lines of to play SoD you have to back patch, Eqemu since they are going for a 1:1 recreation of live cannot distribute the back-patch files, we get away with it because we are so different from live that you can claim creative something or other. In the past Eqemu along with SoD(WR) have gotten CoD letters as well as sonys legal staff contacting them. Both projects have always been on a fine line of legality, but eqemu is alot more public and more easily targetable then we are. This is probably where the core official reasoning falls.

There's like a hundred shmuck servers connected to their login at any given time, can't imagine anyone would bother to say no. Most of them are "same content as every other server + 1 gimmick," but not all. Some have custom spell files and whatnot. Distributing files is at the discretion of individual servers that choose to do it from what I was told (while working on custom weapon and zone model stuff recently). No one stepped in against my little server which required patching (not that it was around for long); some eqemu players were put off by the need to patch, but that just means most will give up after their first login if they just randomly pick the server out of the list without knowing anything beforehand, not that they need to be prohibited from trying.

I wouldn't know, though.

I was told by someone a long time ago we werent on the EQEMU login cause our client is outdated. but i don't really know.

Back
Top Bottom