Enchanter Suggestions

Ulfric

Dalayan Beginner
I love playing as an enchanter - I think the class is pretty well made currently, however here are some ideas for making the class even better. I have no idea if some of these ideas are possible to code, or to what extent they might unbalance things - take what you like, hate on the dumb things, my thought process was mostly what tweaks would make playing an enchanter more enjoyable.

Charm Considerations

Charm Modifications:
1) Have charm scale with the level of the mob charmed - costs less/lasts longer/harder to resist the lower the level of the mob.E.g. if I cast Word of Command on a lvl 58 uberbat it costs the full 700 mana, can last for 80 ticks and 70 resist adjust, but if I cast it on a lvl 1 bat it costs 230 mana, lasts for 137 ticks, with resist adjust of 23 (formula of -10mana +1tick -1 resist adjust per lvl difference from max charm of 58). Maybe make a spell like this the result of a questline, similar to the spectral silks spell for mages.

2) Make charm spells have built in buffing effects, the idea being that as an enchanter I will push a charmed creature to do things that it wouldn't normally do, like hit harder and faster - but at the same time don't really care if the creature gets hit in return. E.g. haste, str, -agi/ac.

Charm Mechanics:
1) Allowing the color swirl line of stuns to overwrite the charm daze stun. Cannot count the number of times I've died trying to time a stun on a mob that broke charm.

2) Allow charm to overwrite itself. This one is less of a fun thing - I kinda like the challenge of timing re-charms - and more of a group/raid friendly suggestion.

Illusions/Shapeshift

I wish there were more illusions.

Player Illusions (edited down to models that seem to be already in use):
1) Illusion: Vah (maybe a quest for the spell in the Vah quests)

3) Illusion: Goblin (Good ole plumbers crack action)

4) Illusion: Orc (Maybe Dawn Tribe quest? Ikisith quest infiltrating a slave gang?)

6) Illusion: Zombie (Gotta survive the zombie apocalypse somehow.)

Self-only Illusions (likewise edited to models that are already in use):
1) Illusion: Invisible Man (double fun - innate sneak and +avoidance)

3) Illusion: Drake

5) Illusion: Spectre (double fun - spectre proc and +cr)

12) Illusion: Major Illusion - Similar to Minor Illusion only fewer mobs can see through the illusion.

Issues that could use fixing:
1) Illusion: Scaled Wolf uses the plains wolf/druid wolf form model, I assume that its supposed to use the scaled wolf model. Or maybe it uses the druid model in order to limit it to outdoor zones only?

2) Illusions that are kos in town are inconsistent... some guards will smack you down for being a werewolf, some won't. All ignore you if your an imp. And so on..

Shapeshift:
1) Some way to recall previous forms that you have shifted into - limited by zone.

Combat Innates

Somatic Bond:
1) Transfer bonuses from enchanter’s current illusion form to the bonded player. E.g. +atk/str/haste from werewolf would be added.

2) Make bonding progressively better and/or easier. For example, the first time I cast bond on Cryas it costs 350 mana, adds 699 atk, 150 dd proc, -25% aggro, and mimic damage of 10% (I forget the actually percentage) and adds one bond counter on the enchanter. I cast bond again on Cryas and this time it costs 345 mana, adds 704 atk, same 150dd proc, -26% aggro, and mimic damage of 11%, adding another bond counter to the chanter.I keep doing this until I reach a cap of 10 times, with mana cost now 300, adds 749 atk, proc becomes a 300dd proc, -35% aggro and mimic damage of 20%. If I cast bond on someone other than Cryas, or enough time passes (say 1 minute) the counter resets. This would make enchanters more useful in groups with a single melee dps, and also allow some interesting choices of whether to use a more efficient single bond or a less efficient double bond. Could be interesting to make the breaking of a long-term bond do something - maybe somekind of recoil that damages the enchanter?

3) Share a percentage of melee damage taken. It would make sense for a bond which allows mimicry of melee damage to go both ways.

Trickster’s Augmentation:
1) Remove the levitation component from this spell. There have been a number of times when I wanted to make use of this but couldn't because the zone I was in did not allow levitation.

Tomes
Not that I’ll be here anytime soon, but...
1) Class Tome III: Eldritch Runes - Makes enchanter runes absorb spell (non-melee) damage. 15% per rank of tome. E.g. a 2000pt rune at tome rank four will now absorb 1200pts of non-melee damage.

2) Class Tome IV: Mana Web - FT and other mana regen effects, i.e. gather mana, mana taps that affect the enchanter also affect members of the enchanter’s group. 10% per rank.

Misdirection/Illusionary Sleight
I rarely find myself using these at all, to that end...
1) Change into something like a swarm pet/monster summoning. Where invisible men taunt a mob mercilessly by insulting its mother. Or maybe the invisible men spam a short duration mez. The idea being that of a CC swarm pet.

2) Change the lvl 1 strengthen spell into the lowest incarnation of this line of spells.

Mana Drains
1) Change mana drains into mana taps. Wandering Mind (mana tap DoT) and Theft of Thought already do.

Haste Buffs
1) Allow Empower to overwrite Glory of Enthann. Very annoying if you forget to cast Emp on a tank before casting GoE and then the tank fails in clicking it off.

Last edited:
Enchanters are fine, some of these ideas are kinda cool but here are my thoughts-

Allow charm to overwrite itself - with resists breaking the charm.
- Not sure if this one is codeable, but its a cool idea and i like it.

Add in some way to overcome immune to charm zones, whether that be adding mobs that are charmable or an aa/tome that allows more things to be charmed.
- Charm immune things are designed to be charm immune for a reason.

Player Illusions:
1) Illusion: Vah (maybe a quest for the spell in the Vah quests)
- This should be added

Self-only Illusions:
- No.

1) Illusion: Scaled Wolf uses the plains wolf/druid wolf form model, I assume that its supposed to use the scaled wolf model. Or maybe it uses the druid model in order to limit it to outdoor zones only?

2) Illusions that are kos in town are inconsistent... one would think that illusion imp or werewolf would be kos since elemental illusions are kos and wolf illusions are kos. Is this just proof that NPC's are really demonic or were in nature?
I feel that both of these should be implemented.

Somatic Bond:
1) Transfer bonuses from enchanter’s current illusion form to the bonded player. E.g. +atk/str/haste from werewolf would be added.

2) Make bonding progressively better and/or easier. For example, the first time I cast bond on Cryas it costs 350 mana, adds 699 atk, 150 dd proc, -25% aggro, and mimic damage of 10% (I forget the actually percentage) and adds one bond counter on the enchanter. I cast bond again on Cryas and this time it costs 345 mana, adds 704 atk, same 150dd proc, -26% aggro, and mimic damage of 11%, adding another bond counter to the chanter.I keep doing this until I reach a cap of 10 times, with mana cost now 300, adds 749 atk, proc becomes a 300dd proc, -35% aggro and mimic damage of 20%. If I cast bond on someone other than Cryas, or enough time passes (say 1 minute) the counter resets. This would make enchanters more useful in groups with a single melee dps, and also allow some interesting choices of whether to use a more efficient single bond or a less efficient double bond. Could be interesting to make the breaking of a long-term bond do something - maybe a one time large dd?

3) Share a percentage of melee damage taken. It would make sense for a bond which allows mimicry of melee damage to go both ways.

4) Make it apply to ranged dps. Pew pew!
I dislike these ideas. Also, Somatic Bond effects ranged dps (I am assuming you are referring to bows?)

Boon of the Garou:
I mostly use this on pets, and the occasional fight where the extra healing from lifetap procs is useful, to that end...

1) Increase the lifetap damage, currently it is at 75, would be nice to eventually get to 150 or alternatively a higher proc rate.

2) Won’t stick on the mage pet where mage is switching elemental forms.

3) Maybe this spell should be turned into something more like Somatic Bond or AoD, but for pets?
BotG is fine and doesnt need to be changed

Juggernaut’s Bolstering:
New tank-oriented combat innate, similar to AoD and Somatic Bond. Changes player into shield golem. Adds resists (or maybe a counterspell chance?), mitigation, +aggro%, reactive stun proc. Transfers stamina (yellow bar) from the enchanter to the target. Builds up counters increasing effects, breaking long-term bond releases AE taunt.

New healer-oriented combat innate, similar to AoD and Somatic Bond. Changes player into a buxom wench in a nurses uniform. Adds to heal crit, heal amount, -aggro%, cleanse proc on heals. Builds up counters increasing effects, breaking long-term bond releases a large AE rune.
This idea is kinda cool except i dont think enchanters have the spare spell slots for it. These would really only be useful in raids/6mans but you would have your curses loaded for those so there just isnt room for it.

Tomes
Not that I’ll be here anytime soon, but...
1) Class Tome III: Eldritch Runes - Makes enchanter runes absorb spell (non-melee) damage. 15% per rank of tome. E.g. a 2000pt rune at tome rank four will now absorb 1200pts of non-melee damage.

2) Class Tome IV: Mana Web - FT and other mana regen effects, i.e. gather mana, mana taps that affect the enchanter also affect members of the enchanter’s group. 10% per rank.
The eldritch rune idea is kind of redundant (Mots, dampening, pally r1 all reduce spell damage) and a little too powerful (raidrune). The Mana Web idea is kind of cool but its basically shared mind. My idea for enchanter tome 3 is that a small % of the enchanters non-SB melee damage is gained as mana. (maybe something around .25/.5/.75/1% however im not sure if tomes can work with numbers that arent intergers)

Misdirection/Illusionary Sleight
I rarely find myself using these at all, to that end...
1) Change into something like a swarm pet/monster summoning. Where invisible men taunt a mob mercilessly by insulting its mother. Or maybe the invisible men spam a short duration mez. The idea being that of a CC swarm pet.
This would be cool if it was super short cast and similar to the doppleganger pet from live. But a CC pet is kind of silly considering you could just cast mez instead and save a spellslot.

Those are my thoughts on these ideas, but tbh enchanters dont really need anything as they are already an extremely powerful class in a raid situation and a skilled one is required for certain content. Im not opposed to seeing the class becoming more powerful but the only thing really lacking is there dps when there arent other dps around (This isnt even really a problem though as enchanters are a support class)

Regarding illusions... Certain illusion models are global and others are not. Making more models global has secondary effects like increasing load times.

Enchanters are arguably overpowered as is - so a lot of these suggestions would be hard to fit in.

NPC Models (which are used by illusions) are not all loaded into every zone. We are very, very limited in what we can add in as an illusion.

Illusion: Vah is something that absolutely should exist for chanters. I can look into that one.

The Eldritch Rune tome idea is not bad at all. We are not creating new tomes right now, but I will keep it for when we do.

As for charm - the relatively high power of charm mobs is the reason we do not let an enchanter easily recharm with overwrites. Keep in mind that we have made charm control much, much easier than it was a few years ago. Pet control is a balancing factor here.

Make it a tradein for the vah illusion mask!

Please no. I strongly oppose anything at all that makes the [The Vah] quest tree feel any more necessary for people to do. That quest was never supposed to be a "everyone does this quest" thing, and it still should never be a "did you do you vah yet" thing.

Illusion: Vah is one of those things that made sense to be a special thing back when the Vah were newly returned to SoD. They're just part of SoD now, so the spell can be just part of SoD now. Please oh please do not integrate it with that quest tree. That quest must remain optional.

(DISCLAIMER -- I am not a Dev and don't actually have a say on this, but I am making my voice heard.)

Back
Top Bottom