Forum Skin Competition/Request

Waldoff

Administrator
Staff member
Hey folks,

We are holding a competition for anyone who feels up to it to create a new VBulletin forum skin for Shards of Dalaya.

We are not limiting submissions to any specific theme BUT something that matches or at least flows well with the current main SoD web page is preferred. Other than that you have full creative control.

We are offering 1000 fame points to the winner- enough to buy a title or a fair amount of aa's/cash/items. Lesser amounts of fame points will be given to the participants whose works are not chosen as the "official skin" but are well done.

Please email entries to Waldoff(a~t)gmail(d~o~t)com. Submissions must be in by midnight on May 17th.

Good luck! Feel free to use this thread for discussion or questions.

Template tests

I'd be interested in participating but unfortunately I don't have access to an install of VBulletin. Is there a resource out there with which we can design/test templates before submission?

~Kazika Ankham'un

ok, after a little more searching, i was able to find the following:

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php

this is probably running 3.7.0, not 3.6.10, so hopefully the templates/skins that you make using it will back port ok, but the good news is: free AND legal.

EDIT: I made one of these demo's because I'm like planning to enter and stuff, well, it's 3.6.8, so have no fear about your templates working on SoD's boards.

Last edited:
Be aware that the staff has not been able to import any skins from older versions - they are unfortunately incompatible with this version, which is brand new. Hence the forum competition! :toot:

Actually I got a 3.6.8 skin to work, so anything later than that should theoretically work.

Could you just change a background (header logo) picture and leave the buttons and stuff as is? Or does it need to be done as a skin (aka theme) as a whole?

"Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd."

at the bottom of every page. Thats what we use.

So is it 3.6.10 for sure?

Uh oh, Tet's planning to enter, I've lost for sure now. ;D

If you're gunna buy a license, yes, they're using 3.6.10 like Ikaa said, however, any skin made on a board version 3.6.8 or later should work, the changes between 3.6.9 and 3.6.10 barely impact skinning at all - and this only templates, which you really don't need to mess with too much, my own skin's template work is already done, and I only changed 2 lines in the entire template index... centered the banner and made changes to the editor. Additionally, 3.6.8 to 3.6.9 changes are supposedly scriptably fixable - and are again mostly to templates. I could link discussion on the vBulletin community boards both at .org and .com that covers all changes and how to avoid making your skin dependant, but I'm lazy.

Anyways, good luck, looking forward to seeing your skin!

Making a skin for vBulletin is a marriage of web design and graphic design, it's quite fun! Although tbh, phpBB skins are much easier AND more flexible.

Submissions have been received and the decision is being made! Expect it in the next few days.

As an aside if you ran out of time or still want to make a theme we are going to keep offering fame for the next week or so. Variety is the spice of life!

Back
Top Bottom