Current EXP Rate

Ekyu

Dalayan Adventurer
The current EXP rate was great back before tomes came into play. That is no longer the case. What would be the detrimental effects if this rate was increased to slightly less than the account drive rate? I can name a thousands reasons why it would be good for the server, but why would it be a bad thing?

I can name a thousands reasons why it would be good for the server, but why would it be a bad thing?

images

Now that that is out of the way. I 100% agree with you. Increasing the floor of exp accumulation doesn't sound like a bad thing. People will grind out all their tomes and such eventually, why make it such a tedious struggle? Granted, it shouldn't be 10x exp base increase or anything, but adding another 30-50% modifier doesn't seem extremely far-fetched.

Well they talked about reworking the New area bonus. I hope that great exp can be earned through this method and traveling to new zones often will keep the exp flowing.

Leveling xp is tolerable to ok when you have a group. Find a friend to level with even if it is a bunch of boxes. Hopefully the new area changes will go through and bump that range to decent to good. Those are all scientific measurements btw.

AA XP and the bonus for the first 50 could do with some revision. Currently (unless the wiki and I missed a change) you get a 50% bonus for the first 50 AAs. That isn't terrible, but here are two things not great about it: 50AAs does not even cover the essentials and the abrupt dropoff is tough to stomach. A graduated scale that goes to 100-200AAs would be much mo' better.

Leveling xp is tolerable to ok when you have a group. Find a friend to level with even if it is a bunch of boxes. Hopefully the new area changes will go through and bump that range to decent to good. Those are all scientific measurements btw.

AA XP and the bonus for the first 50 could do with some revision. Currently (unless the wiki and I missed a change) you get a 50% bonus for the first 50 AAs. That isn't terrible, but here are two things not great about it: 50AAs does not even cover the essentials and the abrupt dropoff is tough to stomach. A graduated scale that goes to 100-200AAs would be much mo' better.

Don't get me wrong, I have access to many toons that are either top 5 or close to it, but what does that solve? Absolutely nothing. What about tier 0 zero who doesn't know X and Y bro? Lets bring some LIFE back to this server.

The current exp rate is slower than before tomes existed. There were some nerfs starting last year. New area bonus/penalties now do affect tome exp, but playing catch up for new players is still ridiculous now.

How do you globalize an increase in exp without furthering the gulf between high tier and low tier toons?

Well, you can't. If you up the exp for everyone, the vets are going to poopsock in high yield exp zones, with baller tanks and heals and keep upping that tome count.

But perhaps one way to do it is to decrease the amount of experience it takes to level a codex of power. You might have some vets who will get all pissy I guess, but it seems like the best viable option for helping newer toons play catch-up (if that is the objective here)

How do you globalize an increase in exp without furthering the gulf between high tier and low tier toons?

Well, you can't. If you up the exp for everyone, the vets are going to poopsock in high yield exp zones, with baller tanks and heals and keep upping that tome count.

I disagree, because a large portion of high tier players are restricted by tome availability. Look at how many people on the server currently are all trying to buy the same Tome2s, or how many people in CW/Exo/FWF have done pretty much every available droppable tome and now have to get lucky to win one out of Spires/Turruj. So, while some alts or a few players new to the high tiers would complete tomes faster, a lot of other high tier players would not, simply because the supply of books from Spires and Turruj is limited.

Don't get me wrong, I have access to many toons that are either top 5 or close to it, but what does that solve? Absolutely nothing. What about tier 0 zero who doesn't know X and Y bro? Lets bring some LIFE back to this server.

Where you high/drunk when you typed this? I ask because I cannot figure out for the life of me what it meant or how it had anything to do with what you quoted me saying.

What about tier 0? Well, from how I read the proposed new area changes it'd be a significant boost to leveling assuming you moved around ever couple of levels (that is assuming the larger bonus is not offensively short lived). Maybe more needs to be done though. Then for all of those bright eyed 65s increasing the AA bonus and how long it lasts does not help them how? Something on the order of a 100% bonus that drops by 25% every 50AAs?

That seems like a decent band-aid that wouldn't open the gulf between high end and low end at all, would allow players to make their 65s useful (essential AAs) much more quickly, and by useful I mean fun for them to play and more likely to fill a spot in your group well.

On a related note the drop rate for spell getting stuff (scrolls/fragments) should be increased. Raising the floor because the ceiling is so incredibly high.

Eventually you run out of things to exp. It may take awhile (and raiding included). but there is an actual end to the tomes to do. Eventually someone could catch up with some drive to do so. It wouldn't be something you can catch up to playing super casually though. but at the very least those people could see an end to their Codex of Power and AAs.

Increasing exp rates wouldn't really affect someone T11 or T12 too much. They have all their important tomes done already, already have their charms done, and clearly play for something they enjoy. The increases would be helping those people who are new, or lower end, or casual. People who aren't maxed tomes or AA'd would be able to catch up to the 60+ tomed people without poop-socking for months to a year.

Where you high/drunk when you typed this? I ask because I cannot figure out for the life of me what it meant or how it had anything to do with what you quoted me saying.

What about tier 0? Well, from how I read the proposed new area changes it'd be a significant boost to leveling assuming you moved around ever couple of levels (that is assuming the larger bonus is not offensively short lived). Maybe more needs to be done though. Then for all of those bright eyed 65s increasing the AA bonus and how long it lasts does not help them how? Something on the order of a 100% bonus that drops by 25% every 50AAs?

That seems like a decent band-aid that wouldn't open the gulf between high end and low end at all, would allow players to make their 65s useful (essential AAs) much more quickly, and by useful I mean fun for them to play and more likely to fill a spot in your group well.

On a related note the drop rate for spell getting stuff (scrolls/fragments) should be increased. Raising the floor because the ceiling is so incredibly high.

Hell yeah I was drunk. These little "band-aid" fixes are just that. Why make a little change here and there when all that needs to be changed is a variable in the database? Real talk, I am probably one of the oldest players on this server with absolutely nothing to show for it. I have seen changes like perma-buffs becoming soulbound, relic spells becoming no-drop, healing out of group causing XP penalties, the transition to 18 man raids and a lot more. The XP rate was fine in 2004, this is no longer the case. Anyways, no need to be a dick.

Personally, I'd like to see the Blessed zones change more often. Because right now them changing like one zone a month doesn't really help at all. If it was one zone a day it'd go a long ways towards getting people to move around as well as increase the exp for most of the server.

That being said an increase to the New Area Bonus that scales down based on how many aa's you have would not be a bad thing.

I am for anything that helps make the barrier to entry seem less insurmountable even if that barrier is imaginary because you don't need 20 tomes done to do T10+ content its still there none the less and not going anyware, why don't we make the game more appealing for new people instead of this giant wall of xp your expected to get done so you can play with the big boys? Is there any real legitimate reason not to boost the xp rates? So some higher tiered people get some more tomes and that makes the "gap" larger so what if the gap is larger when what we should be caring about is just enabling the new players to get enough xp done to "play with the big boys" not how many extra tomes i might be able to crank out.

After about 10-15 tomes the amount of benefit is very minimal, upping exp will make it so some ppl can get more useless times down but can help the new people catch up much faster to what some have deemed 'useful'

Well kind of a derail but for a monk:

5 CoP
~4 EF tomes (Proc, Wee Folk, Dodging tears, armor opt)
Glyph of Shiritri
Melee Discipline
2 Ele fists (+2 opus)
2 Force of Body (+2 opus) *If this is ever changed to be useful
2 resil (+2 opus)
2 avoid (+2 opus)
2 swift (+2 opus)
2 striking (+2 opus)

Those are what I'd consider to be important. The various spell damage and crit tomes and stat tomes still do a little something but none of them are as substantial. So that's 23 tomes plus another 12 opuses of genuinely worthwhile things to do. And that's for a monk, there are other classes that probably benefit from more.

10-15 is a generalization, as a monk it is arguable for a raid force you would want a few more than most some other classes. Even then resilience and avoidance are minimal and I would doubt you even would know the difference same thing with wee folk. They are nice but not enough for a real difference.

Cop for most classes are the most important and make the biggest difference. Can be argued that tanks might be worth it to do avoid/resilience/vitality/striking first but then again some would argue different.

I think a steeper New Area Bonus would help. That a fresh group of 65's can spend 10 hours in a zone before reaching rock bottom exp and a group of Uber 65's can kill it in about an hour. Reset the EXP bonus every month call it a day.

When I say rock bottom exp I mean the same exp you get now generally. I give a time frame due to the amount of exp a fresh 65 group can pull off VS a group of ubers.

Fresh 65s roll into rust getting 15k a kill starting off. And after around 10 hours of Solid exp its finaly back down to 5k a kill. They can spread those 2 hours over 4 days of exp and the other 26 days of the month they have 10 other zones to chose from.

Uber 65's roll into rust getting 15k a kill Pull 2 hours of trains and they are back down to 5k a kill. But they are now stuck with 5k a kill in that zone untill the Area bonus resets. at 2 hours a day they have ~30 zones to chose from.

This would keep people moving all over the place till they are out of bonus exps (if it gets that far). The exp bonus of 200% would only last untill say 500k Bonus exp has been reach.
Only issue with this I see is what if 5 players all have 200% bonus in a zone and 1 player has 0%. Would he decline to group ? Would this add more time to group starting with people figuring out what zones they still have bonuses in?

Last edited:
I think a steeper New Area Bonus would help. That a fresh group of 65's can spend 10 hours in a zone before reaching rock bottom exp and a group of Uber 65's can kill it in about an hour. Reset the EXP bonus every month call it a day.

When I say rock bottom exp I mean the same exp you get now generally. I give a time frame due to the amount of exp a fresh 65 group can pull off VS a group of ubers.

Fresh 65s roll into rust getting 15k a kill starting off. And after around 10 hours of Solid exp its finaly back down to 5k a kill. They can spread those 2 hours over 4 days of exp and the other 26 days of the month they have 10 other zones to chose from.

Uber 65's roll into rust getting 15k a kill Pull 2 hours of trains and they are back down to 5k a kill. But they are now stuck with 5k a kill in that zone untill the Area bonus resets. at 2 hours a day they have ~30 zones to chose from.

This would keep people moving all over the place till they are out of bonus exps (if it gets that far). The exp bonus of 200% would only last untill say 500k Bonus exp has been reach.
Only issue with this I see is what if 5 players all have 200% bonus in a zone and 1 player has 0%. Would he decline to group ? Would this add more time to group starting with people figuring out what zones they still have bonuses in?

The 'only issue' there at the end is kind of looming iceberg of an issue. Overall I would say this idea creates about twice as many problems as it sets out to fix.

Across the board server xp increases, AA bonuses, reducing CoP, etc.. have all been good suggestions. Lets stick with those. Like somebody suggested a while back in /ooc to link a server xp bonus to that little server funds status bar on the mainpage. High funds = high bonus. Seems like that would solve two long term sustainability problems.

potion of magic exp: increases exp gained by #%. must have 400 aa's to use, lasts untill exp= to 1 CoP, merchant (quest npc) will only give you 5 ever!

potion of magic exp: increases exp gained by #%. must have 400 aa's to use, lasts untill exp= to 1 CoP, merchant (quest npc) will only give you 5 ever!

No, that does not solve the problem.

I was thinking, instead of increasing XP we could simple reduce the ammount of XP required per AA/Tome/Level by percentages such as 40%, 35% and 30%.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom