Shards of Dalaya Review*

mapleguy30

Dalayan Beginner
Classic MMOs are pretty much dead. Battered. Beaten. Six-feet under. Only a small niche of gamers actually prefers polygons of cardboard oceans and pixelated sand. But when all hope seems lost, there is one last gasp, last ditch, and final swing for the fences. The result: emulation. Shards of Dalaya is an emulation of a late 90’s powerhouse MMO that captivated the hearts and hours of countless gamers. But how does it stack up when put to the ultimate test?

Upon starting Shards of Dalaya, a character creation screen seemingly out of the MMO carved-in-stone dictionary awaits you. Pick from the regular fantasy races (human, elf, dwarf, ogre, etc) and select one class from the holy trinity (tank, healer, damage). The game then dives you head first into its custom-made lore, which is surprisingly a breath of fresh air considering it is emulation. “The Dream” is where each character awakens and begins their path through Dalaya. The gods, deities, specializations (good vs. evil, lawful vs. chaotic) are all wonderfully thought out and lend themselves to many entertaining quests. Factions are an exciting branch of progression, as you can closely align yourself with a group of NPCs who upgrade your character in return for completed tasks and events.

Leveling is very linear, aside from your choice of a few zones, from level 1 to 55. At this point, you can instead use experience gained from killing monsters and completing quests to purchase AA (Alternate Advancement) skill points for your character. There are about 500 AA’s which increase your character’s health, attack power, regeneration, and class-specific abilities like cool-down timers. Although there is some decision-making present in spending AA’s and leveling between 55 to 65, it is ultimately a very linear progression for your class archetype. Upon reaching level 65, your character is able to join in the main, 18-man“raid game” of Shards of Dalaya. There are approximately 13 tiers of difficulty and gear which guilds compete for and farm (kill repeatedly until all members of the guild have the loot from it.) Gear is the single most important facet of SoD, skill is almost irrelevant. Since there are no instances in SoD, these shared zones and tiers of bosses operate on a typical 5 day spawn rate. This can make progression for individuals and guilds extremely slow.

However, there is another way to advance your character besides gear. You may use your experience to fill “tomes” which enhance one aspect of your character’s abilities. Provided your character is over-capped on statistics like STR, DEX, CHA, there are tomes to enhance those stats. There are class specific tomes that make single abilities better, such as druid damage shield enhancements, or necromancers returning mana to their group upon getting a kill shot. There are about 30-40 useful tomes to pile experience into that are attainable without raiding upper tier zones (which are currently the only place to attain many useful tomes).

Now that your character is level 65, maxed out on AA’s, completed all available deity- and faction-specific quests, and filled numerous tomes of experience, what is there to do besides raid? Well, you could earn a lot of platinum (1.2 million, to be sure) to buy the best available charm in the game. Most top end players have them, but to the regular player this seems like kind of a backhanded feature that was thrown in to give players who don’t raid something to work towards. You can make money by tradeskilling, or selling farmed items to players, but this is problematic since the market economy is so sketchy and small. To efficiently create platinum, you need to already be well geared and have access to good buffs. This is the first major misstep of Shards of Dalaya.

As an alternate path of progression, there are 6-man raid zones that can reward you with gear. The first of which, Cyrtho Malath, is an excellent and suspenseful labyrinth of hallways filled with terrifying, giant snake-humanoids. The best part of this option is that regular monsters, and not just bosses, drop gear that could be a big upgrade for you and your friends. Unfortunately, difficulty (in the form of gear-check) ratchets up rather quickly, and progressing on 6-man content alone is very difficult without some gear from 18-man content. So if you want to get to the end-game of SoD with just your 5 buddies, you may run into a wall unless you find 13 other palatable players.

Another path and fun time-sink for the level 55-65 player is the wonderful bounty system. You are a contracted bounty hunter who kills in a certain specified area until a bounty event begins, which will provide a fun little challenge for a group (or a good duo), resulting in bounty tokens which you can exchange for extremely nice gear and upgrades. As you rank up as a bounty hunter, you can gain more powerful tokens which can purchase even better gear. This is the easily the most accessible and gratifying system within Shards of Dalaya. (Although, in another misstep, you cannot progress anywhere near the end-game still with only bounty gear).

Joining the raid game is a different sort of experience in this MMO. The player base is very small (about 150-200 dedicated) and everyone sort of knows each other like a small town, including the developers and administrators. Top guilds are essentially the developers of the game, as they are wont to incessantly whine and cry over small changes that happen to the game. But since it’s such a small player base, there is a good opportunity to develop content with a lot of feedback from players. This opportunity is obliterated when the attitude of players on game’s forums comes across as entitled and bratty. This game is free and the only real cost is the players’ and developers’ time. Although it can be a different sort of experience to join the ranks of the raid guilds and crawl slowly through each tier of content for months and years, I recommend playing the game with good friends and small groups for maximum enjoyment.

Those are your options for how to spend your remaining time in Shards of Dalaya. At the end, the bottom line for your individual progression is how good your gear is. There is pretty much zero customization available for your class archetype. Skill won’t help you much in this game, not nearly as much as play time will (getting to 65, filling 500 AAs, filling the normally attainable tomes, and purchasing the best charm could take you about over 6 months if you take a break to at least shower once a day. After that, you may be lucky enough and have enough time to progress through the raid game, have a well-geared 6-man crew, or work your way up the bounty ranks.

Total overall experience review: 6.5/10*

What do you think? Feel free to discuss below. Thanks for reading.

Skill isn't necessary at lower tiers of the raid game but it becomes important the higher you go. 6.5 out of 10 is "good" if you consider the game is built on a 14 year old platform and is archaic compared to newer engines and presentations.

Your number means nothing to me though because maybe you didn't play EQ live and maybe you didn't start up Shards knowing exactly what features to expect to see.

Good review... but it was obviosly not written by someone who has put a substantial amount of time into the game to see what it's all about.

There are some good points, some bad points, and some game functionality/focus flat out excluded. (I would argue that the overall experience of SoD is an 8/10*...)

The review itself was not well organized, and is obviously not written by a professional writer. Because of this, I am forced to give the review a total overall reading experience of 4.2/10*.

I am happy to have any review, just to get us more attention. I have two things to take issue with at first glance.

1) ~200 is the number of active players we have online at a time. There are more than 200 active players overall, which your wording seems to mean.

2) Charms were not really thrown in to give people something to do, but rather as a platinum sink to help shore up the economy against inflation.

Thats it for now. Nice review!

Edit: Also collaborative skill does play a pretty huge part later in the game, and arguably early in the game by speeding things up.

I also argue with the fact that he says it takes 6 months from character creation to xp to 65, get all of the AAs and fill all 40 tomes. Oh and farm a 1.2 mil charm in there too.

No he doesn't. Every boss fight he messed up on in Nadox, I chopped one off. Quick learner, though!

That review is fairly close to what I would expect from someone "on the outside, looking in".

I didn't like that the reviewer did not mention the CC role at all. And 6 months to farm the 1.2 million? Doubt it. Also didn't agree with the "leveling is linear" statement. Seems to me you could have three different toons start off, level to 55, and none of them actively level up in the same zone. And while a lot of the points the reviewer made were pretty accurate as well, none of them gave me the feeling that they actually played the game; the opinions of the reviewer could have just as easily been garnered by a thorough reading of forum posts of the last year and a half. Not saying, just saying.

I've been around here for the close to 5 years. I don't play much anymore, sparingly over the last 6 months, and I've never been a T13, stroking-it-to-my-fomelo-guy. But for the first couple of years I was here, we averaged 400-500 players online. That average is far less now.

since it’s such a small player base, there is a good opportunity to develop content with a lot of feedback from players. This opportunity is obliterated when the attitude of players on game’s forums comes across as entitled and bratty.

A+ would read again

none of them gave me the feeling that they actually played the game; the opinions of the reviewer could have just as easily been garnered by a thorough reading of forum posts of the last year and a half. Not saying, just saying.

This is one reason why our community should make extra effort to keep all forum posts civil unless it is specifically a chillville post. :)

Additionally, this shows why our web presence, organization, and public appearance can be almost as important as the game play. We only have one first impression, and "our" first controllable contact with a prospect is always the website or an advertisement. A positive and helpful experience during the first impression gives us a leg up when they actually get the game loaded and hit the dream.

This is one reason why our community should make extra effort to keep all forum posts civil unless it is specifically a chillville post. :)

Additionally, this shows why our web presence, organization, and public appearance can be almost as important as the game play. We only have one first impression, and "our" first controllable contact with a prospect is always the website or an advertisement. A positive and helpful experience during the first impression gives us a leg up when they actually get the game loaded and hit the dream.

It seems you have never visited the project 1999 boards.

http://www.emiliogarcia.net/reviews/shards-dalaya-review/

Last edited:
quick learner? he has no toes... that atleast 10 failures assuming he isnt a mutant... you call that quick?
You have made a logic error. While I cut off a toe each time for that reason, that is not necessarily the only reason I would cut off toes. It does, however, limit his mistakes to a maximum of 10. Also, that was enough to complete my toe necklace.

Back
Top Bottom